PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-15-2013, 06:32 AM #1
scienceguy

has been a member for 10 years
Is it possible to buy happiness?

I always hear that it's not possible. I disagree. I think I could do it given sufficient funds.

While I believe it is possible to be happy without money and conversely unhappy with money. I think money makes t is easier to eliminate things that make me unhappy. Also those people that are unhappy with money would be much worse without it.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM #2
sucka T.

It is possible.

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:21 PM #3
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Even happiness has a price tag!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

If you are worrying about when you are going to eat next, or where you will sleep tonight, or if another one of your children is going to die, then a little cash to buy the basic will make you very happy.

Then we see celebrities that spend more money on shoes than I make in a year doing drugs, committing suicide, etc. are clearly not happy people and seem to be in a desperate race to spend money to find happiness.

Happiness is an emotional state and it is governed by neurochemistry.

To some extent, it is also relative to our other life experiences.

If you grew up poor, got clothes for Christmas instead of toys, you are very happy to be able to give toys to your children.

If you had no funding to go to college but somehow managed to work your way to a degree the hard way, you are very happy with the standard of living you got from it. Worth the sacrifice and bad times.

If you didn't have a bad day, you would take all the good days for granted and not be happy you are having them.

If you are a physical therapist, you know any day you finish still walking and talking was a good day.

When I start feeling sorry for myself, I try to remind myself that 90% of the people on Earth would be happy to trade places with me in a heartbeat and take my wife as part of the deal...

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:25 AM #5
Iamamartianchurch

I've found that I'm at my happiest at two points:

1) The moment of achievement.
2) The rare moments I desire absolutely nothing.

There's that saying which goes something like, "If you want nothing, you have everything."
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:24 PM #6
snowbandit16
Operations Manager :XOR:

I've read a half dozen economic journal articles on answering this exact question. All of them have come to the same conclusion: Yes. but a different yes than you might think.
Depending on the study, the threshold is an annual income of $65k-$73k. After that point, all of these studies have shown there is no statistically significant correlation between happiness and income.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 PM #7
Barbara_Walters
I want AR15 mags, PM me

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
Barbara_Walters has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I dont think that money inherently buys happiness, but it would remove a lot of the stresses in our life.

The happiness is a completely personal decision. I've been pretty broke before and felt very blessed at the same time.
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM #8
Boom Master
Scenario Player

I did therapy for a living for 40 years. One sad story after another. You can be driving down the road minding your own business and Boom, your life is changed forever. Not to mention stupidity. My all time favorite was the guy that gets home from work about the same time the Amtrack trains rolls across his driveway going 80 mph. It takes 20 seconds for it to clear his driveway. So WHY was I doing therapy on him after the third time he had been hit by it trying to beat it across his driveway. How bad do you have to pee to take three chances like that? Just plain stupid. Killed his wife on the third try and I don't think he will be driving any more with the head injury he had.

So the old retired therapist says, "Any day you finish walking and talking was a GOOD DAY."

Happiness is relative..... If you didn't have a bad days, you would NOT appreciate a good day when you had one.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote