Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyGold Ups

Old 06-17-2013, 10:00 AM #1
CurtKM2

has been a member for 10 years
Collectors: Selling the original Gabriel/KM2/Eye Angel LED

The whole story is here: http://northarc.com/angel/

Long story short, this is the gun I bought way back in the day to do all my experimenting on, it has the very first eye on it ever installed on a paintball gun, first enhanced fire modes with trigger programming, etc etc.

-Curt

Quote:
So lets set the way-back machine for 1998 or so. Friends of mine (re)introduce me to paintball. We play some woods-ball (one of them owns property) and I have a blast. I even buy myself an autococker.

Electric guns (Angel and Shocker) had only just come out and the big controversy with the All-Americans was that they were firing more shots than trigger pulls. Silly "we're sponsoring you so accommodate our cheating" happens and it becomes legal as a 'Turbo' mode. I find this out at a local paintball shop (Georgia Paintball) where I am told this leaves Angel users int he lurch because no such mode exists on this new super high-tech gun.

I tell them "hey, ya know thats just a microchip, what say I reprogram it to do that, on purpose, and a whole lot more through trigger programming" they say yes and give me a gun to try my mod on. The result is the first Gabriel board, which takes the paintball world by storm and gets me a Cease & Desist order from WDP as soon as I show it to their team.

Luckily they haven't a leg to stand on and I'm off to the races, selling the first-ever enhanced trigger-mode electronics modifications. A very short time later, in 1999, I get the idea of adding an input to the microcontroller.. a breech sensor. After saying a dozen Hail Mary's I take a drill-press to my Angel and *brzzzOWNCH* history is made. Takes another few weeks to work the bugs out of the design, getting eye components that are blocked by all paint (my first design fired a beam of light so bright it just went right through and programming the complex timing that would fire when (and ONLY when) paint was in the breech, not the cycling bolt (without a bolt-sensor this is actually quite a trick at high speeds)

Bob Long hears about it and says "I want that on my defiant". I Fed-Ex 10 of them directly to his tournament grounds and the Iron Men rock it.

Meanwhile I can't fill orders fast enough as word gets around. I'm getting guns shipped to me from as far away as Guam (not kidding, two green Angels I'll never forget them) direct to my doorstep to have eyes installed. Got to the point where every day two or three boxes would be waiting for my at my office. "Wonder who sent me their priceless gun today?".

Sent my original off to Doc for some custom milling to hide the wires better, and a little side work (he plugged the original wrong place I put the sensor) and he became my go-to guy for eye installation. I don't know how many he did but it was at least dozens based on how many I sent him.

The design was copied for the next generation of guns, although "copy" is a strong word, I'm sure they referenced my design because on the few I inspected the same resistor (to the ohm! and they were not 'standard' values) were used. Don't misunderstand I was never anything but flattered.

At any rate that is behind me now, eyes are now the rule rather than the exception and all I have left, really, is that original Angel. I am keeping it in a dark box and rarely even think about it anymore since I left the industry. I would like to think a collector of rare/one-of-a-kind paintball guns would be interested in owning it so I am offering it for sale. I would want the buyer to be serious about owning it so I am setting the price at $750 (or best offer, if there are more than one). Note that this gun also contains the *very first* "Gabriel" board I ever made, in other words the world's first modified circuit board featuring my invention of trigger programming, turbo (ramping) modes, and auto-response (I got the auto-response idea from a mini-mag frame, and the trigger-programming from an old printer I used to own, an Epson LX-80). How do I know? Easy. I spent hours painstakingly removing the microchip and installing a *socket* so I could test code. Only did that frustrating, nerve-wracking bit of craftsmanship once.

This also has my mod for intelli-feed (wasn't going to pay money for something I could wire myself and shows the original idea for mounting the eye that Doc came up with- a tiny set screw next to each component. Later of course custom molded covers are created to hide them.
Also note Doc's handywork creating a custom drop-forward and hardline.
Pics follow, the gun is in perfect working order and *does* include the original 12v charger. If you are interested send an email to me: curt $at northarc.com

CurtKM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2013, 11:50 AM #2
kerry88mcclure

kerry88mcclure has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kerry88mcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:25 PM #3
CurtKM2

Sorry it's buried in the post, I am asking $750
Old 06-17-2013, 06:00 PM #4
Trevor

Love reading old information like this!

Very nifty!
Trevor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:11 PM #5
gunhero5
Aim High - Don't Die

Annual Supporting Member
gunhero5 is a Moderator
gunhero5 is a Supporting Member
gunhero5 is BST Legit
gunhero5 supports Bob Gurnsey
gunhero5 supports our troops
gunhero5 is Immortal
Really neat story.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:42 AM #6
CurtKM2

Some boards don't like this so I'm sorry if this is against policy (I don't see that it is) but I also threw this up on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321146101848...84.m1555.l2649
Old 06-30-2013, 09:15 AM #7
Dirty J
FAT CITY

Dirty J plays in the PSP
Dirty J plays in the APPA D3 division
Dirty J supports Empire
Hi Curt. It's Jason from Ga Paintball back in the day. Can't believe you still have this thing!

CP 2 piece barrel: 679 Autococker for SALE!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by Dirty J : 07-01-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Dirty J is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyGold Ups

Rules for Buy/Sell/Trade Forums
  1. Buy/Sell/Trade here on PbNation at your own risk. We assume no responsibility for any part of any transaction. Never send money or product before a deal is agreed to by both sides and full contact information is exchanged and verified. Do not rely on PM's. If the other party is unwilling to share contact information, then don't deal with them. Please read more B/S/T tips here.
  2. If you feel that you could offer a better deal, then make a new thread in the correct forum with your ad. Never post your item in another user's thread and ruin their chances at selling their gear. Do not post negative comments about someone else's item for sale even about their price.
  3. No flaming at all. Please be polite to both the seller and potential buyers. If you donít like something being sold or the price the seller is asking, go to another thread and simply donít post in theirs. Sellers also have an obligation to be polite to users who post in the thread. If it is a scam or violates our rules, report the post and specify in detail what is improper.
  4. We recommend you always check for new and old PbN feedback as well as the Theft Report Forum before considering any deal here.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins section. Please read and follow the complete Terms of Service and the complete B/S/T Rules as well. Most B/S/T questions are answered in the PbNation FAQ.