Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-23-2012, 09:28 PM #1
boothg599

Exactly what am I agreeing to here?

I'm kinda confused. If the field's "waiver" makes no sense, is it still binding?

Take a look:

I am completely aware of all the risk, involved and that there is the possibility of additional risk if paintball gun or other equipment does not
function properly. I also indemnity the lessor and employees against and shall hold both harmless from any and all claims. actions, suits,
procedures, cost, expenses, damages and liabilities, including attorney's fees arising out of, connected with or resulting from playing Paintball
and/or the equipment, including without limitation, the manufacturer, selection, delivery, possession, use operation of the equipment and the
environment. I nevertheless wish to assume any and all risks, I hereby waive and release the lessor on behalf of my estate and all others
who may Paintball with me. I also undertake to always play Paintball only in accordance with the safety instructions, rules and suggestions
presented to me. Knowing full well the intense physical/mental exertion required to play Paintball, I further warrant that I have no medical
problems that this increase in physical/mental exertion would cause me or others harm. I have read and fully understand the terms of this
lease agreement. THIS IS FULLY INTENDED TO BE A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT. IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBTS CONCERNING AND ASPECT
OF ITS CONTENTS, CONSULT AN ATTORNEY BEFORE SIGNING IT.
I STATE THAT I AM AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE AND IN GOOD HEALTH

What do you think?
boothg599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2012, 08:43 PM #2
Np1

Hogwash i say
Np1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Yeah, those waivers aren't really binding and if someone really wanted to sue a field they could.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM #4
JohnSherman

Annual Supporting Member
JohnSherman posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Yeah, those waivers aren't really binding and if someone really wanted to sue a field they could.
This is a pretty common misconception. A well-written waiver is legally binding. However, the field owner would still have to appear in court to defend him/herself, and the judge will have to determine what the waiver says. Most judges will just throw out the case early on, unless the plaintiff could reasonable prove that gross negligence on the part of the employees was in play.
JohnSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:43 PM #5
SoulSyde

@OP, you're agreeing to play paintball. Have fun.
SoulSyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM #6
Mocking Da Bird
Rental

Mocking Da Bird is playing at Living Legends V
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Mocking Da Bird has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Waivers don't protect fields 100%. I see waivers as being evidence that you agree to "this" and "this". Let's say that someone took their mask off in a game, and they got shot, and sue the park. The field owner can use it as evidence to say that you agreed to park regulations. You can't say "I didn't know", or anything.
Mocking Da Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 AM #7
1dayteam120

Annual Supporting Member
1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
U are saying you won't be stupid just go play and have fun and listen to the rules if you don't understand something ask someone
2 Cyborg 6s, Vanquish 1.5, Ego11, Protégé FS
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post84973761
Interested in selling an entire gearbag and getting cash now? PM ME I have cash
1dayteam120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:20 PM #8
Frozen Ballz 69
SOFLA

has been a member for 10 years
A waiver is a contract entered into between parties. It is necessary for every field to have in order to give them protection against many potential lawsuits. That being said, no institution is immune to lawsuits just because you signed a waiver. The language of the agreement is not the only issue. Negligence on the part of field owners, employees, or others could result in liability to the field owners. Furthermore, if you contribute to your injury and are also a responsible party, that probably wouldn't even bar you from recovering some kind of damages. Depending on your judge and jurisdiction, negligence may not even have to exist. Some hold service providers strictly liable for certain injuries regardless (similar to product liability). That being said, most people wouldn't consider bringing a lawsuit against their local field, especially if they consider the consequences lawsuits against fields/paintball companies would do to the industry. In regards to the language used in the waiver, it would be up to a judge's interpretation to decide its "reasonableness", helping to decide if a legal contract existed at all. And even if the waiver is reasonable, a plaintiff is still not necessarily barred from any form of recovery. This probably didn't help much, but analysis on a case by case basis needs to occur because the field of torts and contracts are often very unclear.
+2/-0

FSU Seminoles
Frozen Ballz 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:44 AM #9
Hot Nuts22
Bangarang

Hot Nuts22 is playing at Living Legends VI
Hot Nuts22 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hot Nuts22 supports Team VICIOUS
Hot Nuts22 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSherman View Post
This is a pretty common misconception. A well-written waiver is legally binding. However, the field owner would still have to appear in court to defend him/herself, and the judge will have to determine what the waiver says. Most judges will just throw out the case early on, unless the plaintiff could reasonable prove that gross negligence on the part of the employees was in play.
ding!
"Whitness" fan #7
BPG
aXe MEN
"I'm a back line battlefield commander. Then I rush up the gut and bunker as many people as I can to steal the glory from my front players.
#hashbrown yolo fish swag." -Kazer
Hot Nuts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM #10
LlamaRama

Waivers and indemnity contracts are the most litigated aspects of contract law. There's no way to know whether it is binding or not withotu spending hours of research - and only then is it just a guess.

This is an indemnity and hold harmless agreement. Indemnity means that if you sue them, you will pay them to be represented, and you will pay them for whatever award you win from them. Hold harmless is a little less powerful, you just promise not to sue. Good drafters pick one or the other. Putting both in is a bit over the top. Surprised there's not an agreement to binding arbitration.

It doesn't matter if you don't understand the contract. when you sign it you are considered to understand it. However, that is a contract of adhesion (one where you don't bargain for it, you take it or leave it) so there is a little more leeway given to the consumer. Can't tell you how much.

Would it hold up? Who knows.
I knew I was dead
After that first step
I knew I would fall
After that first breath
Was the end of it all.
LlamaRama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 PM #11
sucka T.

A waiver is to protect the field from liability from risks assumed with physical activities. The waiver never protects against negligence by the company. Any injury sustained that is an obvious assumed risk to the participating party that is covered in a waiver will usually never result in judgment against field.

ThreadSavers®

http://www.ohnoes.org/

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=891102
sucka T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 PM #12
FiresofSirius
Let the Galaxy Burn

FiresofSirius donated to help Peyton Trent
FiresofSirius owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FiresofSirius is reppin' sidebar 4 life
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3537258
FiresofSirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM #13
TrueTexan43

Just have fun playing paintball!!!!
TrueTexan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:06 PM #14
ChaseKuhl
Crafty Bastard

ChaseKuhl has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ChaseKuhl has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I dont ever even read them. Its not like your gonna die playing on their field.
ChaseKuhl is offline   Reply With Quote