Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM #43
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
vikingshadow supports Team VICIOUS
vikingshadow supports our troops
In order of importance to me(assuming you don't have these things since you only have a gravity feed loader):

1. A GOOD MASK
Try them on - they don't all fit the same and everyone's head and face are different!

2. A GOOD MASK
Yes, this is on twice - that's how important this is. You only have two eyes so protect them! It needs to breathe well so it doesn't fog, and have a large enough visual field to see everything. Should also be of a softer material so it can promote bounces if at all possible. Contrary to popular belief, color doesn't matter unless you get one that has a restricted color in tournaments.

3. Since you have an electro, a loader is muy importante so it's third on the list.
As mentioned, you don't need a high powered super feeder - you only need one that can feed fast enough to stop you from chopping. I used a Reloader B from 2004 until 2011 without a single problem. (I like it better than the Halo because it used "ears" instead of "eyes".) I sold it when I quit playing but I wish I had kept it! With today's field/tournament speed limits, you don't NEED a loader than can feed 30 bps. It's a waste of paint, air and most guns don't shoot that fast anyways. Plus, it's not safe. Remember, once you shoot the paint, you can't call it back! On a positive note, Reloaders and Halos can be had for less than 50 bucks new now - I paid 180.00 for mine back in the day!

4. Good shoes.
People never think of this one but it's important. With the wrong shoes, you can't get traction, get sore feet, and can hurt yourself. Think about where you play. Is it on a nice, flat, clean airball field? Out in the woods where you can step in a hole or a root and twist your ankle? In a "city/urban" type field on concrete? Inside on carpet? When I was playing woodsball exclusively, we played in a heavily overgrown area with lots of tiny stumps around - I settled for black tactical type lace up boots that kept my ankles stable. When I moved to exclusively airball, I used some Adidas baseball cleats I bought on sale at Academy and they worked great. They also worked great in not so overgrown woods type play. But indoors? I had to resort to using some turf shoes to get good traction. Paint and outdoor carpeting do not mix well!

5. A great pack with enough pods.
Since you now have an electric loader, you'll shoot tons more paint. You need a good pack to carry that paint! Check them out. You need one with enough pod holders for how you shoot but more importantly, get one that has great velcro so it doesn't come off, doesn't bounce when you run, fits around your waist comfortably, and is comfortable. I have an Empire Liquid Pack from around 2009 that I love! Use to run Redz packs and they were good, too.

6. Tool box with tools to fix your gun/loader.
Include the manuals to your loaders, guns, and mask if you have them. Doesn't have to be big, just large enough for some Allen wrenches, strap wrench, pliers, lube, extra parts, etc. Watch who you loan your tools to!

7. A good pair of pants.
Notice I didn't say "tournament" or "paintball" pants. They are nice, expensive, and totally worth it, but you DON'T need them to play. However, you'll be crawling around in the woods, or sliding on the speedball field, so get a pair that can withstand the rigors of hard play.

8. Upgrades for you gun.
Make it YOUR gun, and rarely does one come from the factory just the way you want it.

9. Money for paint.
This could go under the mask for most important, actually. A player is only as good as his practice and you can't really practice well without paint or a place to play. Yes, practice snapping in a mirror. By all means, run and dive around your house or your back yard, practicing sliding and supermanning. But you need field/shooting time to be the best you can be.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump

Last edited by vikingshadow : 03-18-2013 at 10:40 AM.
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM #44
r90t
Doc

r90t is a founding member
Mask, then budget electronic hopper. Paintballgateway.com has old school revy for 45.

How consistent is your gun? U need an aftermarket reg or a decent barrel? Sometimes stock barrels blow.

As far as halo shells, I have had stock halo shells and empire shells break at the feedneck. My rotor has worked like a charm, but for a new player, I wouldn't recommend one.

Look in the forums here, as you can find some used stuff really cheap, but don't by a used mask or tank. Those two things can injure you if previous owners abused them.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 AM #45
Alax

Annual Supporting Member
Alax supports DLX Technology
get a dye hopper trust me not a takn because you can wait on that

When asked about death:
"Everybody, one day will die, and be forgetton. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun, **** a mundane predictable life working monday to friday with something you derive no pleasure from; just living life out till you grow old and wither away. Find a passion, form relationships, dont be afraid to get out there and **** what everyone else thinks, trust me its alot more fun that way.

Dont ever pay people out or put people down. Instead just put yourself up and let the haters do their thing. Id rather be a person thats hated on, than a person that does the hating. A wise man one said...

Haters gonna hate!"
Alax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM #46
1kimsey
Super Grover

1kimsey has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
1kimsey has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hopper over tank fo sho
1kimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:54 AM #47
RedShirt2008
Dirty 907 Ball

Annual Supporting Member
RedShirt2008 is BST Trusted
RedShirt2008 plays in the APPA beginner division
RedShirt2008 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
RedShirt2008 supports DLX Technology
My honest opinion is tank first. You need a tank to shoot a marker then loaders are easy to come by.

United States Air Force
Set ups
RedShirt2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:36 AM #48
Super69ur
Silly Hats Only

1. Mask
2. Protective Equipment (elbow / knee / hip / nutsack)
3. Cleats
4. Loader
5. Tank
6. Pack / Pods
7. Gun / Tools

Look at your comment. Back to mine. Back to yours NOW BACK TO MINE. Sadly, it isn't mine. But if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate crap it could LOOK like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through the comments, finding the ones that your comment could look like. Back at mine, what is it? It's a highly effective counter-troll. Look again, MY COMMENT IS NOW DIAMONDS.

Last edited by Super69ur : 04-06-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Super69ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:47 PM #49
tommggg

tommggg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tommggg is an NCPA player
tommggg plays in the APPA D5 division
def go with the hopper. you might be able to find some a vlocity pretty cheap, I never had any problems with mine
tommggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:00 PM #50
marceldacs

marceldacs is playing at Living Legends VI
marceldacs owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
marceldacs has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
hopper definitely. Get the tank once you start shooting A LOT in a game that it doesn't hold enough air for you. FOr now, you will just have the hassle of having to refill between each game.
marceldacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM #51
HaWtDog123
Sundays

HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 supports Team VICIOUS
HaWtDog123 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
Spend $20-30 on the b/s/t forum and get a used halo. Bam money left for paint. Go play. Save up again and snag a tank. You don't NEED a rotor, z2, or spire. Halos can hang with "big boy hoppers" today. 12.5 bps thats what most people shoot today. A halo can handle that. So buy older "high end" gear and save some money for paint
HaWtDog123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:30 AM #52
dapoofyhairdude
http://goo.gl/W9DoA

Annual Supporting Member
dapoofyhairdude is a Supporting Member
dapoofyhairdude has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdpb197 View Post
get a tank first
this guy..
Old 04-11-2013, 10:04 PM #53
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
8. Upgrades for you gun.
Make it YOUR gun, and rarely does one come from the factory just the way you want it.
Really... really??? a tank didn't even make the list but gun upgrades did?
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:03 PM #54
vikingshadow
SCHWING!

vikingshadow is a Moderator
vikingshadow supports our troops
Yes, really. With the right upgrades, a "new" tank is not necessary and not as important as these other things (assuming you already HAVE a tank - how would you shoot your damn gun if you didn't?) Unless you're a part of the "I have to have the FASTEST loader even though I can't shoot that fast" loader crowd, recharge on tank regs are not that different these days - one that can keep up with your gun is good enough.

Now, I could have added HPA vs Co2, but that's a hashed out argument, as well, don't you think? I could have also added head covering, sunscreen, gloves, padded vs non padded jerseys, nut cup or not, and socks. I didn't - have to assume some things (like a tank) are self explanatory.

I'm selling all my paintball stuff! Look here! My Baby! Phantom Pump
vikingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:50 PM #55
andyf1008

andyf1008 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
andyf1008 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
^ this guy.

Yeah I assume most people posting in the "new player" help thread have been playing for years too.

Get a good mask first. Spend more than $40 on a nice new one. Then a good used hopper. It doesn't have to be a spire or z2. Then a aluminum tank. Then pads and barrels. Then start drooling over newer nicer guns you want.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM #56
RegalEgo11
Cool-Aid

RegalEgo11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RegalEgo11 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergology View Post
hey everyone i was wandering witch i should get first a new tank or a new hopper what i currently have is a 42/3000 tank and a gravity feed hopper for my G4.
A new hopper first, look for an Invert too if you are on a budget, if not get a Z2.
Tank can wait, but dont except high efficiency with a steel tank on a G4 which is a crazy inefficient spool valve

New Jersey Alliance D5 Squad.

Rare GI Logo Grillz F/S
RegalEgo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:41 PM #57
AlmightyRuler
Vigilante English Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballr68059 View Post
idk what your thinking.. the halo is a great loader. but then again i bet you have a rotor or a z2 so you have to say they are crap or you lose your aggness

list of great starter loaders
halo b
reloader b
halo too
eggy 2 3 or 4 if you can get over the ugliness
REVY - my favorite of the group feeds plenty fast and is freaking bullet proof
prophecy v1 or v2 can be had cheap i still use mine no need for a z2
pinokio if you can find it cheap
spyder fasta - way under rated it is a great feeder
*You're.*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirriko View Post
You obviously don't take care of it or your just REALLY unlucky, I have about 9 custom printed HALO hoppers in my basement I used to use for my team and they are now retired as novelty items. They all lasted me since like 2005/06-present and are still perfect.
*You're.*

I've owned a few Halos. I actually still have one. I also had a Reloader B for a long time. I had problems with my first Halo. The board fried after a brief time using it. I have never seen that before or since. Eventually the Reloader B stopped feeding during a game. I believe it was the stock drive cone that broke. I had the stock plastic internals replaced with delrin internals & it never happened again. I had the same problem with a Halo also. It seems it happened much quicker than with my Reloader B. My current Halo is has these upgraded parts obviously. I had much better luck with my stock Reloader B than my stock Halo.

I like how the more modern hoppers are more simple. You press a button or flip a switch & it's ready to go. Spires, Pinokios, Z2s & Rotors all seem to be more responsive in this way. This is a big plus if you go into a game with your hopper off while paint is flying. When this happens you really will see the benefit of pressing a button & being ready to go instantly. With stock Halo & Reloader B boards it's not as quick. That extra second they take to start feeding can be very crucial during a game. It may seem like it's not a big deal to take two seconds before each game to make sure everything is ready. Maybe I am just being picky. But every little bit helps.

Anyway... I would go for a high quality hopper before upgrading your tank. You should go for the absolute best mask you can before anything else if you haven't already.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Lousy Democrats."-Homer J. Simpson
AlmightyRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:25 AM #58
jdub2k5

jdub2k5 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jdub2k5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
a gun can shoot with a basic tank... but wont feed with a basic hopper

hopper first

go with a dye rotor

the halo is nice but so many problems

no longer supporting EMPIRE because they have terrible customer service and even worse paint
jdub2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:25 AM #59
Invasion12

Invasion12 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Invasion12 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Invasion12 supports DLX Technology
Definitely get a hopper first if you are torn between getting a hopper or tank.

With that being said, and some of the other people said it to, look in the B/S/T section on this website. Valken V max is a great hopper for someone in your situation as well as the halo too. You can probably find a use prophecy and pinokio for around 60 (great hoppers) and a rotor for about 90. But, if you are on a budget, you can get a used halo or valken for 30-45 bucks and get a used tank on here for 50. The hydro dates will be a little older, but they are still functional. just look for something that was born in 05 or up and has no chips. Tanks have a 15 year life on them.

Now, after saying all that, if you don't have an thermal-lensed mask, I would recommend that first. If you have a gun that shoots 20BPS and a hopper that feeds that rate, but you are so fogged up that you can't see anyone, you are just gonna be wasting paint...

just my .02$
Invasion12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 PM #60
Gottaluvpb

Gottaluvpb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gottaluvpb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Hopper first because paint is expensive $$$ and you don't want to be jamming or chopping paint
Gottaluvpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM #61
Inraged Carnage

Inraged Carnage is playing at Living Legends VI
Inraged Carnage supports Team VICIOUS
Inraged Carnage has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Inraged Carnage has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergology View Post
hey everyone i was wandering witch i should get first a new tank or a new hopper what i currently have is a 42/3000 tank and a gravity feed hopper for my G4.
You should get the tank 1st.
Think about it.
You can only use a gun if you got a tank. and you can always use cheap plastic grav fed hopper until u get enough money to buy a hopper.
Trust me i went through the same problem last year