Community Focus

Old 04-29-2013, 07:33 PM #1
Me9aman

Me9aman owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Me9aman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Me9aman has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Me9aman has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Need help understanding psp format

Ive been watching paintball for quite some time but i still dont get the championship and challengers division. Will teams like tontons still play against edmonton impact or omaha vicious? I just want an easy to understand explanantion.

Last edited by Me9aman : 04-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Me9aman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2013, 10:18 PM #2
RedShirt2008
Dirty 907 Ball

Annual Supporting Member
RedShirt2008 is BST Trusted
RedShirt2008 plays in the PSP
RedShirt2008 plays in the APPA D5 division
RedShirt2008 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
RedShirt2008 supports DLX Technology
Challenger teams are like Texas storm that are still some what new. And Champion teams are teams Like Dynasty and Damage.. After each PSP even the top 3 teams from the Challenger division move up to the Champion division and the bottom 3 teams from the Champion division will move down to the Challenger division for the Next event..
RedShirt2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:36 PM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

has been a member for 10 years
I'll explain it as thoroughly as possible.

There are now a limited number of Pro spots. There are 20 pro spots(right now). At the very top are 10 teams, designated the Champions. They get most of the press and all their events are on the webcast. Under them are the 10 teams known as the challengers. They are either poorly performing pro division teams or D1 teams looking to move into pro. They won't get much webcast coverage. Most likely only the finals and semi-finals will be on the webcast.
In order for the Challengers to get into the champion bracket, they must win their bracket. The 1st and 2nd place team will be moved into the Champion bracket for the next event. They will replace two of the champion teams, the 10th and 9th place of the champion bracket will move down into the challenger bracket for the next event.
There are 5 events per year, and each event will be a struggle for the challengers to make it into the champions bracket. While the champions struggle not only for the trophy, but also not to be in the two lowest spots.

So, if a challenger team wanted to win 1st place, they must win the challenger bracket at MAO. Then at Chicago they must beat the best 9 teams(champions) to make it to first place.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 05-01-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 AM #4
andyf1008

andyf1008 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
andyf1008 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
I'll explain it as thoroughly as possible.

So, if a champion team wanted to win 1st place, they must win the challenger bracket at MAO. Then at Chicago they must beat the best 9 teams to make it to first place.
Paper_Cut do you answer every single thread on the nation? I mean I'm not complaining 'cause you always bring the answers

Did you mean if a challenger teams wants to win 1st they must win the challenger bracket at MAO? Am I misunderstanding or is that a typo?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:37 AM #5
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
A general breakdown of the Champions and Challengers system:

There are two brackets:
1. The Champions
2. The Challengers

Each of these brackets holds ten teams. The teams in the Champion's bracket at any given event will only play other teams in the Champion's bracket. Teams in the Challenger's bracket will only play other teams in the Challenger's bracket. At the end of every event, the 9th and 10th place teams in the Champion's bracket will be relegated (bumped down) to the Challenger's Bracket. The top two teams in the Challenger's bracket will be promoted (bumped up) to the Champion's Bracket.

In order to win an event, you must first be in the Champions bracket. If you are already there, you play the tournament as normal and either win or lose. If you want to win the tournament but you're in the challenger's bracket, you must first finish in the top two spots of your bracket to be promoted to the champions before you can "win" the tournament.

Look at it this way. the top 10 teams are in champions, the bottom 10 are in challengers for 20 teams total. 9-10 swap places with 11-12 at the end of every event. Everyone in Challengers is fighting for 10th and 11th so that they can be promoted to the better bracket where the money is.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:32 AM #6
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyf1008 View Post
Paper_Cut do you answer every single thread on the nation? I mean I'm not complaining 'cause you always bring the answers

Did you mean if a challenger teams wants to win 1st they must win the challenger bracket at MAO? Am I misunderstanding or is that a typo?
Yeah, it was a typo. Lets say Vicious wants to take first place and be the best team in the PSP circuit.

At the coming MAO they must place first or second against the other 9 challenger teams: Thunder, XSV, Aftershock, 187 Crew, Top Gun, Texas Storm, NJ Jesters, DMG, and Royalty.

Then at Chicago they move up to champion but still must beat the other top 9 pro teams(in champions bracket) before they can be a victor.

However, as long as they don't place 8th in the champion bracket at Chicago they can give it another go at the PSP West Coast Open.

But, if they place 9th or 10th in Chicago, they must start all over and won't have another chance until World Cup(at the earliest).

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 05-01-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM #7
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
No, it wasn't a typo. Lets say Vicious wants to take first place and be the best team in the PSP circuit.

At the coming MAO they must place first or second against the other 9 challenger teams: Thunder, XSV, Aftershock, 187 Crew, Top Gun, Texas Storm, NJ Jesters, DMG, and Royalty.

Then at Chicago they move up to champion but still must beat the other top 9 pro teams(in champions bracket) before they can be a victor.

However, as long as they don't place 8th in the champion bracket at Chicago they can give it another go at the PSP West Coast Open.

But, if they place 9th or 10th in Chicago, they must start all over and won't have another chance until World Cup(at the earliest).
This is correct. What you posted above is not. If a champion team wants to win the event, they simply need to win their bracket because they are already in the Champions bracket for the event purse. If a Challenging team wants to win an event, they must first finish top 2 in the challengers and then win the champions bracket at the following tournament.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM #8
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple_condolences View Post
This is correct. What you posted above is not. If a champion team wants to win the event, they simply need to win their bracket because they are already in the Champions bracket for the event purse. If a Challenging team wants to win an event, they must first finish top 2 in the challengers and then win the champions bracket at the following tournament.
You're right. I had a there was a typo I missed. I fixed it.