Community Focus

Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM #1
msiegfried24

msiegfried24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
msiegfried24 plays in the APPA beginner division
msiegfried24 supports DLX Technology
msiegfried24 supports Empire
New Team advice

Me and my friends just created a team. Anyone got any advice for me like drills and how to get sponsorships?
msiegfried24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2013, 04:39 PM #2
FCMEDIC
A.Williams

FCMEDIC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
FCMEDIC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Go to youtube and type in paintball drills. New team with proably new players, sorry to burst your bubble but getting sponsorship proably isn't gonna happen stick together an play for a year or two and get some tourny play under your belt. Sponsors like to have there name at every possible event they can.

http://www.tigerpb.com/
FCMEDIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:38 PM #3
tommggg

tommggg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tommggg is an NCPA player
tommggg plays in the APPA D5 division
I just joined a starting college paintball team, best advice, hold A LOT of practices OFTEN. we practice ~twice a week.
tommggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 PM #4
tommggg

tommggg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tommggg is an NCPA player
tommggg plays in the APPA D5 division
Also, if you can get the money together and have a big place to practice, buying used bunkers and used reballs has worked really well for us. It ends up being cheaper than a paint practice after like 2 or 3 practices (if you're spending $40 a case per person for like 5 people). you can even buy a big scuba tank and have your own air fill station. We practice indoors now and it works great
tommggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:36 PM #5
Ronaldonova

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommggg View Post
Also, if you can get the money together and have a big place to practice, buying used bunkers and used reballs has worked really well for us. It ends up being cheaper than a paint practice after like 2 or 3 practices (if you're spending $40 a case per person for like 5 people). you can even buy a big scuba tank and have your own air fill station. We practice indoors now and it works great
sounds like something I should look into haha
Ronaldonova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:18 PM #6
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Practice. Don't even worry about sponsorships early on.
dps093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM #7
paintballer045
Noob forum OT OG

paintballer045 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paintballer045 supports Team VICIOUS
paintballer045 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
paintballer045 is Legendary
Just like everyone else said: practice, practice, practice.

Practice on the field with paint, and practice at home without paint.

Philippians 4:13

My posts are a direct reflection of my opinion; however, they are typically joking in nature. My posts do not, literally or through implication, reflect any views or opinions of my department.
paintballer045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:13 PM #8
DriverJ
Death is Coming...

Annual Supporting Member
DriverJ is BST Legit
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DriverJ owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
DriverJ supports Team VICIOUS
Don't worry about sponsorship and everyone having the latest/greatest gear etc. The sponsorship that will benefit you the most will be the ones you put in the most work for.

Find a way to have practices at least every other week at the VERY minimum. More often is better.
When you play / scrimmage play teams that are better than yours, don't waste time/budget on open play teams, or teams you beat regularly. Play tougher teams.

Work on everyone's fundamentals at each practice and work on some team drills as well.

Focus on developing your players.

As far as making practice cheaper, talk to your local field (hopefully you have one most or all of your guys have been going to for a while. Try and work with them to get some solo practice time on the fields or reduced paint costs to help chip in around their field or store if they have one.
The best thing to remember is there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you stop chipping in, odds are they'll stop letting you practice or cut off the discount.
DriverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 PM #9
AA Paintball

A local field might be able to help you with practice costs and some tourney costs. That can be a give and take situation. Work on the communication and accuracy and have different set ups for the players. This way you can switch it up and the teams can't predict what your going to do. TEAM WORK does wonders
AA Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 PM #10
msiegfried24

thanks everyone for the advise
Old 04-22-2013, 09:00 AM #11
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegfried24 View Post
Me and my friends just created a team. Anyone got any advice for me like drills and how to get sponsorships?
I've been playing for 20 years, and have never been sponsored. May just be beause i suck, but as a general rule: Sponsorships, real ones that is, don't usually come from Paintball specific companys at the Local, or even regional level. Best bet, is like everyone else has said, beat up the practice field, and actually get good. Also, a team that doesnt play events, really is not a team. You may think you are the greatest thing to ever happen, but if you're gettin beat down by D5 players, ya prolly need to grind a bit harder on the practice field.

Depew Decepticonz/Lancaster ILLNatured - Coach
RIP USPA, AXBL, NYXL, NYPS
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
Team_ILLNatured is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM #12
jazz1
Death by Snoo-Snoo

Annual Supporting Member
jazz1 is a Supporting Member
jazz1 is a founding member
jazz1 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_ILLNatured View Post
I've been playing for 20 years, and have never been sponsored. May just be beause i suck, but as a general rule: Sponsorships, real ones that is, don't usually come from Paintball specific companys at the Local, or even regional level. Best bet, is like everyone else has said, beat up the practice field, and actually get good. Also, a team that doesnt play events, really is not a team. You may think you are the greatest thing to ever happen, but if you're gettin beat down by D5 players, ya prolly need to grind a bit harder on the practice field.
you give grumpy old man advice. i approve

Sadistik
jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM #13
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz1 View Post

you give grumpy old man advice. i approve
Lol. Im not even 30, but i have seen how itis. Lol

My ShEGO project!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM #14
jazz1
Death by Snoo-Snoo

Annual Supporting Member
jazz1 is a Supporting Member
jazz1 is a founding member
jazz1 is Immortal
well i'm over 30 so

also, after you play 1 season of tourney ball, you will see how "sponsorship" really works. also stores will only offer "sponsorship" after you play at least 3 tournaments. please play those 3 tournaments in the same year

Sadistik
jazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM #15
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz1 View Post
well i'm over 30 so

also, after you play 1 season of tourney ball, you will see how "sponsorship" really works. also stores will only offer "sponsorship" after you play at least 3 tournaments. please play those 3 tournaments in the same year
thats 3 on a national level, not local events

My ShEGO project!
Old 04-24-2013, 07:01 PM #16
Darkfact2

Practice until you can do nothing. Thats all you honestly need to do run some scrimmages. A one on one drill that I got from playing at a local field with some Mutiny players is you both start in opposite corners of the field, run across to the other corner do 10 pushups then just 1v1. It makes you winded so it simulates a real situation better. Run the drill multiple times really works you.
Darkfact2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:58 PM #17
RedShirt2008
Dirty 907 Ball

Annual Supporting Member
RedShirt2008 is BST Trusted
RedShirt2008 plays in the APPA beginner division
RedShirt2008 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
RedShirt2008 supports DLX Technology
If you try to go and apply for a Team sponsorship right now you will be denied because you have not participated in any events weither it is state events, like CFOA or CFPS, or national events, PsP or NPPL. they don't think that you could get their name out there just play playing local, i.e. your local field every weekend. so in other words not gonna sugar coat it. they don't want to waste their time and money on your team if its not gonna benefit them..

United States Air Force
Set ups
RedShirt2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 AM #18
G23

Repetition. find your weak points and work on them during practice. and also conditioning.
G23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:42 PM #19
Tappedout84

Not to beat a dead horse but practice. Sponsors are going to come down the road when you get recognition or have a local bar/food joint that you may be able to hit up. Like some others said it does not need to be a paintball related place.

Every video that you watch there are a couple things you see at all times that I would focus on.

Communication - It is the key to success with a lot of sports. Call out opposing teamates, get good easy call outs that are quick to say i.e. Dorito, snake, xbox, etc.

Body position - Make sure you angle your marker/body properly so you dont arbitrarily leave yourself exposed for an easy killshot "hug those bunkers"

Play on your weakside - If you are used to playing righty then go lefty, you will need to cover both sides and it exposes you too much if you shoot right on the left side of the bunker etc. If you constantly practice on your weakside you then become balanced on both sides of the field.

Cardio/movement - Find short routes to your objective, work on getting in shape if not already. Pretty self explanatory.

I am no means a godly player I just love the sport and have been playing for about 10 years. If I missed anything or incorrectly stated anything please feel free to correct me.
Tappedout84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:11 PM #20
msiegfried24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappedout84 View Post
Not to beat a dead horse but practice. Sponsors are going to come down the road when you get recognition or have a local bar/food joint that you may be able to hit up. Like some others said it does not need to be a paintball related place.

Every video that you watch there are a couple things you see at all times that I would focus on.

Communication - It is the key to success with a lot of sports. Call out opposing teamates, get good easy call outs that are quick to say i.e. Dorito, snake, xbox, etc.

Body position - Make sure you angle your marker/body properly so you dont arbitrarily leave yourself exposed for an easy killshot "hug those bunkers"

Play on your weakside - If you are used to playing righty then go lefty, you will need to cover both sides and it exposes you too much if you shoot right on the left side of the bunker etc. If you constantly practice on your weakside you then become balanced on both sides of the field.

Cardio/movement - Find short routes to your objective, work on getting in shape if not already. Pretty self explanatory.

I am no means a godly player I just love the sport and have been playing for about 10 years. If I missed anything or incorrectly stated anything please feel free to correct me.
Thanks man for the advice. And when you say try to get sponsors from not just paintball related companies, how should I approach them
Old 05-01-2013, 01:26 PM #21
Tappedout84

Quote:
Originally Posted by msiegfried24 View Post
Thanks man for the advice. And when you say try to get sponsors from not just paintball related companies, how should I approach them
Plan your conversation ahead of time. Do you and your teamates have family, friends, wives, kids etc that will watch? Tell them an approx number of people you could bring in. I haven't been sponsored with paintball but through football and softball. It's a numbers game. Bars and restaraunts are usually the best place because its free advertisement to put their name on a jersey. They can provide money towards gear/apparel/etc.

A lot of times they will offer you a portion of money to start and if you prove loyalty to them they give you the other half or w/e the agreement is.

Expect failure and like many others have said get experience and possibly a portfolio together with your accolades.
Tappedout84 is offline   Reply With Quote