PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-17-2013, 01:10 PM #1
enjayz

How do I inspect a used gun?

Hi everyone,
my first post here
How do you guys go about inspecting a used gun or accessories?
what do you have to keep in mind when buying a used gun/accessory?
I have veeeeery little experience in paintball but would like to get started on it.
thanks
Advertisement
Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM #2
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

overall i just look for general wear and tear..if its more than 2 years old i expect it to have some small scratches at least, bit if theres more wear around parts like the regulator or where your hand rests against the grip frame will show signs of lots of use. its not a big deal unless theres signs of obvious mis treatment. but paintball guns arent complicated, its no big deal if you have to change an o-ring a couple weeks after buying something. its also good to get an idea of how a gun works before buying it, then if there is some small problem you can take care of it on your own instead of panicking and lashing out against the seller screaming they sold you a broken gun..yes it does happen, but theres also other things to consider..like i can glob some extra grease on a gun and it will work perfectly fine here in the south since its hotter, then sell it to someone way up north and they might get bolt stick since grease thickens a little in the cold for example.

for loaders look for cracks and the like, most newer ones are much less likely to have cracks though due to different types of plastics.

honestly one of the things that really speaks out to me when buying something is the attitude/grammar/punctuation of the seller. if they dont really seem to care, respond within a reasonable time, dont seem to know what they are talking about, or cant take a half decent picture its no biggie for me to keep on looking and buy from someone else.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 PM #3
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mask:
- Condition of the foam
- Scratches in the lense, a few isn't bad but you should be able to see through it unhindered. If you see flaking on the lenses it's junk, thats the thermocoating
- No tears in the grill (the mouth covering part)
- the elastic in the strap, should still be stretchy.
- Ears, some masks have removable ear covers, make sure they're there.

Tank:
- Large dents and scratches. Tanks are pretty tough so dont be concerned with a scuff
- Hydro date. Look for the date that it was last hydro tested, tanks have a life of 5 years before they need to be tested. Testing isnt a big deal but it does cost about $30 so factor that into your price if the tank is near its testing date.

Hoppers:
- Not cracked
- Not a Viewloader quantum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6XkqrFL1B8

Pod packs/ clothes:
- rips, tears
- check the elastic

Markers:
- Nothing is loose and rattling on the inside.
- General surface, scratches and dents. A marker can look horrific but still function just fine, but if they've had the gun for 2 weeks and it looks like it was hit by a train chances are they took very poor care of it. (or it was actually hit by a train)
- Look for dremel work or other user modification. Does it look like a 10 year old went crazy with his dad's dremel? probably not a great idea, he may have messed with the internals too. There are many people out there who can modify their own guns and do a very good job but there are many people who try but cannot do a nice job.
- Cock it, does the action feel smooth and unobstructed? If not there may be something jamming the bolt or hammer.
- Dry fire it. Does it sound like a whimper? Does it have a nice thud? Old mechanical guns are loud.
- Air it up, does it leak?
- Shoot it. Are the balls firing at a high enough velocity, does it jam after a few cycles?

Most of the problems you run into with markers are easy fixes, a leak probably mean it just needs a 5 cent oring.
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM #4
xXhunter47Xx

xXhunter47Xx has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
xXhunter47Xx has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Markers:
Markings
Nothing's loose
Bring a tank to fire it if it's local, or ask seller to make shooting video. If he refuses and gives a bull**** reason that's pretty sketchy.

Masks:
Don't buy used masks. That's it.

Tanks:
Check hydro, Carbon Fiber tanks only have a 15 year life time so if the tank is made in 2001 stay away from it. You would only have 2 years left before you have to buy a new one. Stay at 2008 or higher born dates for HPA Tanks.

Hoppers:
Bring some paintballs to do a test run of it.
Make sure it's not cracked, and if it is make sure you can grab shells online.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM #5
enjayz

thanks for the great replies, what's best way I can test the gun itself? so that i know there's nothing wrong inside?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM #6
xXhunter47Xx

Air it up and shoot some balls through it. If you can't shoot it dry fire.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:52 PM #7
camstan9

camstan9 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXhunter47Xx View Post
Markers:
Markings
Nothing's loose
Bring a tank to fire it if it's local, or ask seller to make shooting video. If he refuses and gives a bull**** reason that's pretty sketchy.

Masks:
Don't buy used masks. That's it.

Tanks:
Check hydro, Carbon Fiber tanks only have a 15 year life time so if the tank is made in 2001 stay away from it. You would only have 2 years left before you have to buy a new one. Stay at 2008 or higher born dates for HPA Tanks.

Hoppers:
Bring some paintballs to do a test run of it.
Make sure it's not cracked, and if it is make sure you can grab shells online.
What's wrong with a used mask?sure I agree it's better to buy new,but take a gander at the b/s/t under masks.a ton of customs and used.some of the coolest masks you see are used and up for sale.scratch or old lens?buy a new lens.save some money.not saying its BEST to buy used.but it's certainly ok if you know what your doing.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 PM #8
xXhunter47Xx

Hygiene issues.

Blood, sweat, you don't know what's in that foam.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 PM #9
andyf1008

andyf1008 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
andyf1008 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by camstan9 View Post
What's wrong with a used mask?sure I agree it's better to buy new,but take a gander at the b/s/t under masks.a ton of customs and used.some of the coolest masks you see are used and up for sale.scratch or old lens?buy a new lens.save some money.not saying its BEST to buy used.but it's certainly ok if you know what your doing.
I've bought used masks from people I know but wouldn't suggest it to anyone, especially a new player. There is the hygiene issue but its a safety issue too
Old 04-21-2013, 10:02 PM #10
Nobody609

Nobody609 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
those previous replies are great, and a good general way to view equipment for sale, but its missing the details. its always in the details. this is mainly about the guns/markers, but its good for everything.

1) ask about the screws. many people will off load a gun because they used retard strength to put on or take off screws, resulting in the heads being stripped. in some cases it is an easy fix, but that's not what you want when you buy a new gun. these are common on the frame, grip and eye covers.

2) if the pictures are suspect, ask for a new set and make sure that you get both sides and the possible wear points, like where you put your hands. if someone is giving a hard time about the pics, then move along. it is either a scam, or its in worse condition of than the pics show. i like to ask for a "Proof of Life" pic. its a picture of the item with a USA Today newspaper(though you can use anything SPECIFIC). that way you can control what's in the picture, and can assure that you are getting up to date pics.

2.1) also, ask for both sides. i personally hate when someone posts gun pics, but only shows one side, or even multiple shots of one side. either there is rash on the hidden side or its suspect.

3) look for anything odd. if there are mismatched screws, or if the pic isn't as described. its your money, wait for new pics.

4) look for anything out of the ordinary. gobs of teflon tape on fittings. mismatched parts, misaligned feednecks, or feednecks that aren't sitting the way they are supposed to. there are plenty of pics of guns on the net that show the gun in stock form.

5) don't be afraid to ask questions. i'm honest, so i'll tell you how long i've had it, any damage, what the condition is. i ignore posts when people put numbers for condition. who is rating the guns and where is the providence? is anyone putting their rep to stand by their rating? pictures are a 1000 words...

6) understand how you baby something, isn't how other people baby it. which goes with the above. understand that you are getting something that may have problems.

most importantly, never be afraid to walk away at a deal. not to say that you can't pay the asking price, but more so if anything seems off, then walk away. if you are worried about it, then its not worth it.
Nobody609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM #11
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Condition, ups, etc
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM #12
ChrisR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody609 View Post
most importantly, never be afraid to walk away at a deal. not to say that you can't pay the asking price, but more so if anything seems off, then walk away. if you are worried about it, then its not worth it.
Not only is this a good way to protect yourself, but having that mindset is also helpful for negotiation generally in terms of getting a better deal.
ChrisR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:43 AM #13
G23

everytime I buy a marker I air it up and listen for leaks. also I use my palm to knock it around a bit and see it anything feels loose or if that will create a leak.
G23 is offline   Reply With Quote