Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM #1
freerider007
Howie Wowie

freerider007 plays in the PSP
freerider007 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
freerider007 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
freerider007 plays in the APPA D3 division
Firing modes and BPS for NPPL

I was just wondering what people would think of this idea. Giving the players the option to choose between 3 different firing modes. These would include

1. 15BPS Semi-auto
2. 12BPS Ramping
3. 10BPS 1-2-3 FULL AUTO

what do you guys think of this idea? I think it could as a little vesitiliry to the league.
Tippmann USA
NXE
CROSSOVER
VIRTUE
OH-IO
freerider007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 08:28 AM #2
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
no. you cant have multiple firing modes on the field at once. theres no way to regulate that. and an absolute HELL NO to full auto...smh

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 AM #3
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Pump Scout is BST Legit
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the way to get better games is not to increase the volume of paint being shot - it's to decrease it. What's cooler, someone laying down 2000 rounds in a game and hitting one guy (maybe) with a ball or two, or a guy doing an awesome up the field move? I like to put the hammer down as much as the next guy, in spite of my user name, but a paint dumping fest isn't really fun to either participate in or watch as a spectator.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM #4
COBLITZ

Annual Supporting Member
COBLITZ is an Ultimate field/store owner
COBLITZ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I love # 1 and 2.

Also it is very easy to regulate. Our latest tourney had 29 5 man teams and the system works great. We mark the semi guns and you can clearly hear the difference in BPS. Also, anyone shooting that fast has clearly got to be moving their fingers fast. It gives the purist an advantage, while being a more inclusive format. In the end successfully events have to draw players, why cut out half your player base. I am sensitive to the argument that semi is a purer form, but their is also the truth that if everyone can shoot back at a reasonable level, you have to win based on being better fundamental players.
As someone who throws successful events, I want the event to appeal to the largest amount of players possible
However, that's just my 2 cents.
COBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 PM #5
i got an ion
RIP Royals

i got an ion plays in the PSP
i got an ion plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBLITZ View Post
I love # 1 and 2.

Also it is very easy to regulate. Our latest tourney had 29 5 man teams and the system works great. We mark the semi guns and you can clearly hear the difference in BPS. Also, anyone shooting that fast has clearly got to be moving their fingers fast. It gives the purist an advantage, while being a more inclusive format. In the end successfully events have to draw players, why cut out half your player base. I am sensitive to the argument that semi is a purer form, but their is also the truth that if everyone can shoot back at a reasonable level, you have to win based on being better fundamental players.
As someone who throws successful events, I want the event to appeal to the largest amount of players possible
However, that's just my 2 cents.
id say knowing how to shoot your gun effectively/quickly is one of many fundamentals that could make a good paintballer.

Sacramento DMG

Capital Edge Paintball Park(CEPP)
i got an ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:49 AM #6
Pirate Red Beard
BEAST

Annual Supporting Member
Pirate Red Beard plays in the APPA D4 division
Pirate Red Beard has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Pirate Red Beard has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Pirate Red Beard has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Pirate Red Beard has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
i miss uncapped semi, i know it wasn't on of the options just my 2 cents
Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM #7
COBLITZ

Annual Supporting Member
COBLITZ is an Ultimate field/store owner
COBLITZ owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
An many would agree with you Ion, coming from the purist point of view. However we must remember a few things.
Running a tournament is a business, it must draw teams made up of various players. The more players = more teams. More teams = more money also more vendors. More money and more vendors = better events and the end to many of the leagues problems if the money is used correctly. Also higher participation in a league = more prestige and leads to even more participation.
The problem for a Semi only league moving forward is in the numbers of players who now learn ramping as their format. As more fields allow ramping on airball, more new players coming into the tournament side of the sport use ramping to feel comfortable playing with the "tourney" players. This then becomes the default way the new players learn the game.
As the years have gone by there has been more growth among ramping players than semi players. I have seen this at my own field which runs a large player base.
The PSP format can be played effectively by both types of players, while the same is not true of the NPPL. To play in the NPPL many players have to practice and learn a new and difficult shooting skill just to give up their money to play. This does not appeal to the average weekend warrior team who is not super dedicated but would have loved to give their money over to have a good time and the chance of a couple wins.
You can make the argument that they should learn, however that argument does not get their money into the NPPL's pocket.
We can all make the emotional argument that semi is a purer sport and the league should be semi only.
However, financially this argument has actually already happened. PSP VS NPPL and the argument is over.
I really like our new system, give the players playing SEMI an advantage in BPS. However, allow ramping to a level which makes these players competitive. Then your league appeals to the broadest possible player base. Rewarding those who practice trigger skills ,while including those who don't. This helps make the event a big success.
COBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM #8
Brad- Division
Shootin Faces since 89'

Brad- Division owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
An many would agree with you Ion, coming from the purist point of view. However we must remember a few things.
Running a tournament is a business, it must draw teams made up of various players. The more players = more teams. More teams = more money also more vendors. More money and more vendors = better events and the end to many of the leagues problems if the money is used correctly. Also higher participation in a league = more prestige and leads to even more participation.
The problem for a Semi only league moving forward is in the numbers of players who now learn ramping as their format. As more fields allow ramping on airball, more new players coming into the tournament side of the sport use ramping to feel comfortable playing with the "tourney" players. This then becomes the default way the new players learn the game.
As the years have gone by there has been more growth among ramping players than semi players. I have seen this at my own field which runs a large player base.
The PSP format can be played effectively by both types of players, while the same is not true of the NPPL. To play in the NPPL many players have to practice and learn a new and difficult shooting skill just to give up their money to play. This does not appeal to the average weekend warrior team who is not super dedicated but would have loved to give their money over to have a good time and the chance of a couple wins.
You can make the argument that they should learn, however that argument does not get their money into the NPPL's pocket.
We can all make the emotional argument that semi is a purer sport and the league should be semi only.
However, financially this argument has actually already happened. PSP VS NPPL and the argument is over.
I really like our new system, give the players playing SEMI an advantage in BPS. However, allow ramping to a level which makes these players competitive. Then your league appeals to the broadest possible player base. Rewarding those who practice trigger skills ,while including those who don't. This helps make the event a big success.
This is truth...

Went to this event and mixed rof was no issue, (side note) Its refreshing to be in a location with a few great teams and a healthy base of players here in Denver. Does your area have a 5-man event or series that draws 25+ teams ?

It can work, there is proof
Brad- Division is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:54 PM #9
Cory688

Cory688 is a Supporting Member
Cory688 plays in the APPA D4 division
Cory688 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Cory688 is Boss
I like ramping. It makes my life easier. Option 2.

2010 Chicago D4X 1st Place- Tampa Bay Vengeance
2010 MAO D4X 3rd Place- NJ Jesters Kids
2011 RPL D4 Series 2nd Place- Tombstone Black

Feedback-160+
Cory688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:52 PM #10
i got an ion
RIP Royals

i got an ion plays in the PSP
i got an ion plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
you make some good points, and from a business perspective everything you said makes sense. Also, like you stated above, I am a purist when it comes to paintball. Although, i know there is more to the game than paint in the air.

you also stated that the skill of shooting is new to today's players, i find this unfortunate, yet true. As i have seen at many local fields, that most, if not all have gone to the PSP/xball style of play or even to "match" play and this newer generation of ballers are used to ramping and coaching. As much as i dislike this new generation i have come to realize and accept that it is here to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad- Division View Post
This is truth...

Went to this event and mixed rof was no issue, (side note) Its refreshing to be in a location with a few great teams and a healthy base of players here in Denver. Does your area have a 5-man event or series that draws 25+ teams ?

It can work, there is proof
im not sure if this was directed to me or not, but in my area we have 4-5 really popular fields and for the most part they either run their own league or have a few stand-alone events. Their tournaments no longer draw 25 teams per event, but i'd wager that if they merged and became a league that they could draw that large of a crowd.

Sacramento DMG

Capital Edge Paintball Park(CEPP)
i got an ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:57 PM #11
Spazdoc

Annual Supporting Member
Spazdoc is a Supporting Member
Spazdoc plays in the PSP
Spazdoc owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Spazdoc supports our troops
Spazdoc plays in the APPA D3 division
When we scrim, the teams either run 15bps semi or 12.5 bps ramping (PSP). Nobody complains except the new players, and we realize that it speeds up practice (people don't have to stop to switch firing modes to match their opponent).

This is an interesting concept for a tournament. I know that if I was playing back during the day, I would just stay semi to get full 15 bps for off the break. Up front, it would be nice to maintain a lane left-handed without thinking about it.

pics of my markers --- old feedback
I want to Buy a Westwood or P&P Supercocker LE Autococker - Contact me
Gearbag sale - tanks, masks, barrels
Spazdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:29 PM #12
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Red Beard View Post
i miss uncapped semi, i know it wasn't on of the options just my 2 cents
We should do that, but make everyone use mechs for the purism.

As a relatively new player to the sport, I must say that I would like options #1 and 2. PSP does a whole lot more to court new players than NPPL, and half of the guys I play with dont even know what NPPL is. This will help get more PSP players into the NPPL and hopefully get people to go back to semi.