PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-12-2013, 03:12 PM #1
neversummer89

neversummer89 plays in the PSP
neversummer89 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
What NPPL needs to do to succeed - a discussion?

As someone who works in the marketing\advertising world, and being someone who likes the NPPL format, I think there is a lot that the NPPL needs to do better to simply survive as a format.

Here are my thoughts, and I'd love to collect the ideas of others as well. Hopefully this thread can serve as a wake up call for the board of directors of the NPPL because at this rate the format is not going to be around much longer.

1) No live Webcast
-The PSP, Millennium, and other events (even Vicious has a webcast planned!) distinguish themselves by offering a high quality, web streamed live broadcast for the world to see. These set ups are extremely expensive and require a lot of bandwidth, but it's no wonder why the PSP is quickly overshadowing all things NPPL. This is a major reason, and the NPPL needs to invest in this. The NPPL's webcasts have been shoddy at best since I can remember.

2) Spamming on social media channels
-Directly related to 1, the NPPL is in dire need of some real social media strategy. In lieu of a webcast, instead it spams everyone's Facebook feed with pictures and updates. This is not only annoying but an amateur social media strategy by any professional standard and is being used as a stop-gap measure since there is no webcast. It comes off as incredibly cheap to me.

3) NPPL needs to allow ramping
-This is where I think people will find a lot of disagreement. I strongly believe however that, by disallowing ramping, the NPPL cuts out no small part of the paintball player base. The art of trigger skills is quickly becoming lost, and not everyone can do it. There are even plenty of pros who will go absolutely bananas on you all day on the field, but can't really roll the trigger effectively to 12 or even 15 bps with both hands. By not allowing ramping, it makes it far less inclusive.

There are also others, but I think these are the three biggest issues the NPPL faces. What does everyone else think?

*Note: these are my opinions only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my sponsors, my field, or any of my teammates. I take sole responsibility for my own words here, so please do not interpret these as representative of anyone or anything else.
avdentes fortvna ivvat

Last edited by neversummer89 : 04-12-2013 at 03:16 PM.
neversummer89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2013, 03:17 PM #2
clarkie070988
A traveling man

Annual Supporting Member
clarkie070988 plays in the PSP
clarkie070988 plays in the APPA D4 division
clarkie070988 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
clarkie070988 is Legendary
clarkie070988 is Boss
clarkie070988 supports DLX Technology
nppl should bring back pump
LUXE MOB/PUMP OT/Back Players Gang/BST Perfection/World Ballas/Fat Ballers Club
Geo 3.1
clarkie070988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM #3
Nikilwig
Double Up

Nikilwig plays in the PSP
Nikilwig is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer89 View Post
As someone who works in the marketing\advertising world, and being someone who likes the NPPL format, I think there is a lot that the NPPL needs to do better to simply survive as a format.

Here are my thoughts, and I'd love to collect the ideas of others as well. Hopefully this thread can serve as a wake up call for the board of directors of the NPPL because at this rate the format is not going to be around much longer.

1) No live Webcast
-The PSP, Millennium, and other events (even Vicious has a webcast planned!) distinguish themselves by offering a high quality, web streamed live broadcast for the world to see. These set ups are extremely expensive and require a lot of bandwidth, but it's no wonder why the PSP is quickly overshadowing all things NPPL. This is a major reason, and the NPPL needs to invest in this. The NPPL's webcasts have been shoddy at best since I can remember.

2) Spamming on social media channels
-Directly related to 1, the NPPL is in dire need of some real social media strategy. In lieu of a webcast, instead it spams everyone's Facebook feed with pictures and updates. This is not only annoying but an amateur social media strategy by any professional standard and is being used as a stop-gap measure since there is no webcast. It comes off as incredibly cheap to me.

3) NPPL needs to allow ramping
-This is where I think people will find a lot of disagreement. I strongly believe however that, by disallowing ramping, the NPPL cuts out no small part of the paintball player base. The art of trigger skills is quickly becoming lost, and not everyone can do it. There are even plenty of pros who will go absolutely bananas on you all day on the field, but can't really roll the trigger effectively to 12 or even 15 bps with both hands. By not allowing ramping, it makes it far less inclusive.

There are also others, but I think these are the three biggest issues the NPPL faces. What does everyone else think?

*Note: these are my opinions only, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my sponsors, my field, or any of my teammates. I take sole responsibility for my own words here, so please do not interpret these as representative of anyone or anything else.
I think number 3 is irrelevant. And to no webcast, if they can not spend money on a webcast and produce a better event I'm all for it. Either way, I like webcasts, but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Have you shot a Vangaurd Demon yet?
Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Nikilwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:36 PM #4
L_x
Alex Hodge

L_x works for a Paintball manufacturer
They do have a social media strategy, but it appears to be personally insulting people who don't agree with them.

What they need to do to survive (not succeed) is merge.

Alex Hodge | Freelance Industrial Designer
Facebook
Portfolio
Youtube

Any posts I make are from myself as an individual and do not represent the views of the companies I design for.
L_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM #5
chrispy1.5

chrispy1.5 plays in the PSP
chrispy1.5 supports Pev's Paintball
chrispy1.5 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie070988 View Post
nppl should bring back pump
No, they need to leave pump to the PSP.

Feedback
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1632768
chrispy1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:59 PM #6
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
how about the most basic of the basic....live updates for scores
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:13 PM #7
Nikilwig
Double Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN jUnKeE View Post
how about the most basic of the basic....live updates for scores
They have updates of the scores on Facebook

Vanguard Demon | NXE | GI SPORTZ | Ninja Paintball | Warzone Paintball | Shadow Barrels | RAZA
Old 04-12-2013, 06:34 PM #8
rjs21

Annual Supporting Member
rjs21 donated to help Peyton Trent
rjs21 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Go back to old format where you play round robin then best out of 3.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:58 PM #9
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
i prefer a grid like system that appa uses...much neater
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM #10
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Empire
They need to do something to distinguish themselves. I love the whole no ramping thing, it makes them different from PSP. I agree they need to do better on the podcasts. They could also do more stuff to bring in the niche players, like podcasting a pump only event, or pistols or magfed or something that makes them not PSP. I don't think NPPL can ever catch up to PSP in the normal electro games anymore, so they need to start thinking about finding their niche. Stop being the second class electro league and do your own thing.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:33 PM #11
Nikilwig
Double Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN jUnKeE View Post
i prefer a grid like system that appa uses...much neater
Maybe it's not optimal..scores are also the NPPL website.
http://nppl.com/nppl-hb-2013-pro-div-1/

Old 04-12-2013, 08:55 PM #12
Hobbes The Tiger
:clickclickclick:

Annual Supporting Member
Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger is playing at Living Legends VII
Hobbes The Tiger supports our troops
Hobbes The Tiger is attending Decay of Nations VI
Hobbes The Tiger supports Empire
2 is a big reason why I unliked them on Facebook. I think they'd get a better response on Facebook if they take pictures throughout the day and then upload it into an album. Or if they insist on uploading a picture one at a time, then to space it out every couple of hours and only upload things that actually should be uploaded/viewed by the public. Not only would that force the person who runs their page to get a little creative, it'd also make them sit back and think about what is and isn't interesting to show fans. Spamming feeds is a good way to lose a fanbase and interest on a social media platform. Save the picture spamming for Instagram/Twitter.

Follow PbNation: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter

@DABPhoto: Instagram | Facebook | Twitter
Hobbes The Tiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 AM #13
poomanchew
coming in hot

poomanchew owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
poomanchew posts videos on PbNation
There is nothing that can be done they have fallen to far behind also they have failed once and will again. Simple economics, if you fail get bailed out yet continue to get smaller and smaller losing revenue you will cease to exist as a company, and most likely drag your supporters down with you. Mark my words the nppl will be gone within 3 years unless a miracle happens valken will be gone in 5
AC:417
G.I. Kick'n Planet Eclipse Yip!
AC:402.com
poomanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 AM #14
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
Dominos pizza was able to turn things around and successfully rebrand and set new standards. I hope the league can take these suggestions and improve. Plenty of room for improvement, no question there.

I my opinion, the following would be a step in the right direction for the NPPL

Chrono in the pits would be nice, it's a fairly basic request and should be expected at these events.

A webcast would be cool, so friends and family at home can get involved, and if I'm not mistake. The YouTube live route wasn't that bad of an option.

More refs on the pro field, also less chit chat between refs between points, a lot of times I saw the refs have to sprint to their position before the point starts.

Allowing more sideline interaction...I don't mean coaching, but telling the crowd to stay silent and not cheer when a bad *** move goes down?

More of a public face...I feel the dj is the only league affiliated person who responds on here. Considering the size of the site and its overall importance and status in the sport, I feel someone from the league posting here and answering questions would be very useful on both ends.

It's easy to get caught up in the negative things, but nppl still has good things going for it.

-Great venues, getting to play on the beach and the Vegas strip in the same season is a really cool and fun opportunity.
-7 man format is fun, requires dedication and teamwork to succeed. A lot of us do prefer this format, which is a reason behind our loyalty to the league.
-Quality turf, they did improve on the turf on field one from Vegas, its about as good as I have ever experienced. Seems they did take the advice from Vegas to heart.
-big grandstands, not to mention they were free on Friday and pretty packed.
-friendly staff, though I can only speak for my experiences with them, for the past few years of playing nppl I have encountered only friendly people working at registration and on the field. Things get hectic and can be slow, but I feel they handle it pretty well.
Ill edit this post tomorrow when I'm not so tired haha
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:17 AM #15
poomanchew
coming in hot

poomanchew owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
poomanchew posts videos on PbNation
The pizza industry is not a multi national extreme sport who's customers always demand an ever changing, faster paced, more tv friendly format everything has to be new. The nppl is screwing up by denying certain things chronos in the pit? Come on, not letting the fans cheer wtf? A good fan experience is key to a sports success.
AC:417
G.I. Kick'n Planet Eclipse Yip!
AC:402.com
poomanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31 AM #16
Pump Scout
A dream within a dream

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Maybe they need to differentiate themselve big-time from the other league(s). Want to turn the sport on its head, get people talking, and see who the really great players are? Set a mandate that in 2014, the league will go to mechanical unassisted markers only. No electronics, no RT, no air triggers. Straight up mechanical.

Will it happen? Not a chance in the world. BUT, it'd be a way to make NPPL something different.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:33 AM #17
Ragin Cajun
CLICK, CLICK, BOOM

Annual Supporting Member
Ragin Cajun is a founding member
Ragin Cajun is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Ragin Cajun is a Forum Captain
Merging with the PSP will be the only way that NPPL can stay alive. There isnt enough market for 2 big tournament series.
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM #18
ChuckC
Naptown

ChuckC is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntcheck45 View Post
-friendly staff, though I can only speak for my experiences with them, for the past few years of playing nppl I have encountered only friendly people working at registration and on the field. Things get hectic and can be slow, but I feel they handle it pretty well.
This one time, on PBNation, I read about a member of the NPPL staff telling a photographer, "You look like a God damn retard, get the **** off my field".

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3585915

...at least you don't hold a grudge.

(I realize you were specifically speaking about your experiences while playing NPPL in that quote, not working...but I couldn't help myself.)

Last edited by ChuckC : 04-13-2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: added link to thread
ChuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:41 PM #19
L_x
Alex Hodge

L_x works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckC View Post

This one time, on PBNation, I read about a member of the NPPL staff telling a photographer, "You look like a God damn retard, get the **** off my field".

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3585915

...at least you don't hold a grudge.

(I realize you were specifically speaking about your experiences while playing NPPL in that quote, not working...but I couldn't help myself.)
I'm noticing a pattern here in terms of PR...

Alex Hodge | Freelance Industrial Designer
Facebook
Portfolio
Youtube

Any posts I make are from myself as an individual and do not represent the views of the companies I design for.
L_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 PM #20
Skibba

Skibba is playing at Living Legends VII
Skibba owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Skibba is an NCPA player
Skibba plays in the APPA D5 division
It'd be great if NPPL stayed around, but it looks like they should rename themselves the Titanic.

Team Akkadian Paintball Team
Proudly Sponsored by Midwest Custom Paintball, La Crosse, WI
http://www.midwestcustompaintball.com/

Need any 3-D CAD work done? Send me a PM!

UW-Platteville Paintball Club; Alumni/2013 Nationals Coach
2013 NCPA National AND Season Champions

Originally posted by neftaly: "Simon Stevens said that will be totally fine and nothing bad could ever happen. Ever."
Skibba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 PM #21
Ballen4Life
No Surrender

Ballen4Life plays in the APPA D4 division
Ballen4Life supports DLX Technology
half naked women on the sidelines.
Ballen4Life is offline   Reply With Quote