Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 PM #1
Dstrong

Zeroing offset red dot/MilSim discussion

I know alot of people flame on red dots but to each his own right? Anyways i have mine mounted on an offset with an 18 inch barrel I realize no paintball gun is a precision weapon however I do want the sight to shoot somewhat where the barrel is pointing. Could I use a under barrel mounted laser to zero the sight and adjust the elevation a click or two quickly.I know it would never be as accurate as the laser haha however this fact is why i think it could actually work for a quick way to zero it after I let my friends use it or field disassemble. Also at what amount of feet would you recommend I zero for woodsball and scenario I'm hooked up to HPA firing good paint out of a 18 inch barrel.

Just thinking out loud here but I was thinking i could get a friend to watch my shots from a decent position and estimate roughly the range in which the ball begins to drop off and zero it to that distance

Anyways thanks and in happy to be part of the PBN community
Dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2013, 02:37 AM #2
DoomCookie

Laser wont work because even the laser need to be zero as well.... just shoot at a piece of cardboard and zero it in that way.. most sight/scope are 1 click for 1/4 in at 100 yard so you will probably turn more than just couple click.. if you are using actual red dot and not replica.. I never used a red dot for paintball but my friend got one and he told me its only good for close quarter..

oh yea if you are using first strike with a rifled spiral barrel then it might be a different story..

Last edited by DoomCookie : 04-11-2013 at 02:38 AM. Reason: more added
DoomCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM #3
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

How to "sight in" a red dot

Do this on a calm day. Wind affects paintballs.

Clamp your marker to a solid object, so it wont move, while aiming it as best you can at a big visible target. Mount it at the approximate distance you want your red dot zeroed to. For paintball I use 100 ft. A C-clamp and a saw horse, picnic table, skinny tree or post, will work well. Pad your marker with some rags to avoid scratching or marring the finish.

Fire the "fixed" marker 3 or 4 times at the target. Look through the sight, and without moving the marker, turn the red dot's adjustment screws so the dot moves to the middle of the fired paintball grouping.

Repeat if necessary to check and fine tune. Your red dot is sighted in.

While playing, hold the red dot slightly above your target for shots longer than 100 ft. Inside 100 ft you will be deadly!

Last edited by XRidgelinerX : 04-11-2013 at 11:57 AM.
XRidgelinerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 PM #4
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

red dot sight AND an 18 inch barrel?

You must be one of those paintball snipers I've heard so much about!
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:10 PM #5
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
A lot of fields don't allow lasers for insurance reasons (accidentally blinding someone is bad) so I wouldn't recommend using a laser.

I wouldn't recommend using an 18in barrel either because that offers you nothing a 12 or 14 inch barrel doesn't and is long and unwieldy. I'd imagine the easiest way to zero is doing what XRidgelinerX said and shoot at a fixed target at a known distance but since paintballs drop so much and the distances you gunfight in a typical game vary a lot I don't really see much of a benefit to trying to get your red dot super dialed in.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM #6
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
liquidfiretibby is BST Legit
liquidfiretibby plays in the PSP
liquidfiretibby owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
liquidfiretibby posts videos on PbNation
liquidfiretibby plays in the APPA D4 division
liquidfiretibby has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
red dot sight AND an 18 inch barrel?

You must be one of those paintball snipers I've heard so much about!

red dots of any sort on a paintball marker is a waste of money. paintballs are inherently inaccurate. even the best paint available wont shoot ball on ball every shot. plus, in the time that it takes you to line up with your sight and shoot a few balls, i already have 40+ coming your way in a spray pattern and i'm sure to hit you with at least one.

also 18" barrel is going to give you negative results. our barrels arent rifled like gun barrels are. therefore you wont get an increase in accuracy from a longer barrel. instead you get more friction between the ball and the barrel, resulting in a lower velocity and more spin on the ball which will equate to loss of accuracy. 14-16" is more than sufficient.

United
liquidfiretibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:22 PM #7
Dstrong

I took it out today to dick around and was actually pretty impressed once I got the velocity adjusted but as I stated earlier I know it will never be super accurate but it does have a 3x zoom which helps me out a lot since I have inherited terrible vision so basically I use the zoom see where the balls is striking and adjust accordingly. Honestly though I have never been the guy to run and gun using alot of balls I pick my shots very carefully never firing in rapid sucsession even when suppressing a target. I rarely use a whole hopper but still somehow I get hits. Anyways please don't tell me the 18 is a waste at least lie to me boys lol it was the main reason I opted for the mrx elite
Dstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM #8
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
sorry man. you can argue reasons to have sights, like you said, poor eyesight to follow balls. but the tests have been done to show that longer barrels are detrimental not beneficial. plus it makes maneuvering the marker in tight spaces that much harder or not possible at all. not to mention i dont think squeegees are that long

United
Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM #9
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidfiretibby View Post
red dots of any sort on a paintball marker is a waste of money... in the time that it takes you to line up with your sight and shoot a few balls, i already have 40+ coming your way in a spray pattern and i'm sure to hit you with at least one
In speedball, where 40 rounds to lock down a lane is the norm, I'd agree, but in woodsball, where hiding and ambush are common tactics, a red dot can be very useful. If you think it takes a long time to line up a shot with a red dot, you have either never used one, or if you have tried you were not instructed on how to use it properly. A red dot or holographic sight is the fastest and most accurate method of target acquisition available in close quarters. It takes no longer than sighting down the barrel like you do all the time. Why do you think the guys fighting for real in urban areas all use them.

Read this. http://www.x7og.net/woodsball-tactic...dot-sight.html

Last edited by XRidgelinerX : 04-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.
XRidgelinerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:27 PM #10
PumpMonkey_Dave
Pay at the pump.

Dstrong, one thing that makes paintball so much fun, is there are so many ways to play it. If rocking an 18" barrel and red-dot works for you, go for it. Sight it in as instructed above and you should be fine. It may make you more accurate with your first shot. Sometimes one is all it takes.

The artist formally known as Phantom_Dave.
PumpMonkey_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM #11
liquidfiretibby

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRidgelinerX View Post
In speedball, where 40 rounds to lock down a lane is the norm, I'd agree, but in woodsball, where hiding and ambush are common tactics, a red dot can be very useful. If you think it takes a long time to line up a shot with a red dot, you have either never used one, or if you have tried you were not instructed on how to use it properly. A red dot or holographic sight is the fastest and most accurate method of target acquisition available in close quarters. It takes no longer than sighting down the barrel like you do all the time. Why do you think the guys fighting for real in urban areas all use them.

Read this. http://www.x7og.net/woodsball-tactic...dot-sight.html
i said red dots werent useful on paintball guns, not on real guns. the difference is all in what you're shooting. bullets are made to fly straight. they are aerodynamic and are shot from a rifled barrel. paintballs are not aerodynamic at all. they have a liquid moving center mass that will throw off trajectory and are shot from a non rifled, most times incorrectly bored barrel.

what im saying is that since you will most likely have to fire a few shots anyway, its just as fast to aim by watching where your paint is going. sure there will be times where they may help, but for the most part, the cost and added weight is not worth the benefit.

United