Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM #22
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
I have 2 adopted black kids. They're both in public school so they and their classmates have to go through the set black history month process. I will say from experience that the stuff they teach (or the way they teach it to) the kids in black history month causes more problems than it helps.

This is the 3rd year in a row that we've had a big racism incident. It ends up falling under their anti-bully protocol so the school has to make a big deal about it when it happens. All parents involved need to be notified. It becomes a big deal.

What happens is, some kid tells one of my kids that they can't sit near them because they're black, and back in the old days they would be a slave or have their own table. One of the teachers gets wind of it and it escalates.

I think there's a 2nd grade teacher that is a little over zealous with the slavery and rosa parks stuff because its always a 2nd grader.

We live in a very liberal town. It's sad because the first kid to do it's parents were super hippies and very nice. The on that just did it last week was Asian. His mom was mortified because the kids used to do the same thing to her in grade school. The reality is kids do stupid things and you can only handle it after the fact.

The over the top black history stuff is just too much. The current system puts ideas in the kids heads. I'm not saying that civil rights aren't a big part of American history. It's just that the phoney pandering does more harm than good. It's a classic example of people wanting to do something good, but have no idea what good is. I'll bet Jessie Jackson thinks the month is a joke too, but he has to play along.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2013, 04:50 PM #23
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
Blacks in America never owned black slaves, nor did black Americans deny other black Americans civil rights up until the 70's.

If you fail to acknowledge the persecution the African-American population faced and is still facing as unique in both its scale and significance, than you're living in fantasy land.
There ain't a single black person living in America today that's a ever been a slave. I have never personally owned a slave. I don't see why I should have to be subjected to the "lessons" of black history month... unless, of course, we have a history month for every possible ethnicity. To single blacks out like this is discriminitory.
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 AM #24
Umami
Mad as a hatter
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
There ain't a single black person living in America today that's a ever been a slave. I have never personally owned a slave. I don't see why I should have to be subjected to the "lessons" of black history month... unless, of course, we have a history month for every possible ethnicity.
Slavery didn't happen while you were alive so it doesn't affect anything!

Is that your argument?
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:09 AM #25
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref
 
PBOldTimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jim Thorpe, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
No, my argument is this:

I have had nothing to do with slavery. Therefore I should not have to endure cutting remarks from Supra as he calls me a dick for being white.
__________________
I'm here to kick butt and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum!
PBOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:04 PM #26
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
Blacks in America never owned black slaves, nor did black Americans deny other black Americans civil rights up until the 70's.

If you fail to acknowledge the persecution the African-American population faced and is still facing as unique in both its scale and significance, than you're living in fantasy land.
There were black slave owners.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...e-owners-black
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM #27
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Annual Supporting Member
Again, I fail to see why Black History in America isn't actually American History.
__________________
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM #28
F1VENOM
 
 
F1VENOM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Again, I fail to see why Black History in America isn't actually American History.
Black History is American History but when it was implemented as Black History Month it was to be used as a way to celebrate the black leaders around America as a way to encourage black youths.
__________________
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM #29
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Again, I fail to see why Black History in America isn't actually American History.
Do you understand the concept of soft racism?
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 AM #30
scienceguy
 
 
scienceguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
Blacks in America never owned black slaves, nor did black Americans deny other black Americans civil rights up until the 70's.

If you fail to acknowledge the persecution the African-American population faced and is still facing as unique in both its scale and significance, than you're living in fantasy land.
Those are pretty strong words from someone that defends a culture that still considers women property. Thats pretty large scale descrimination if you ask me. Remind me again how many sex slaves are imported into Saudi Arabia, and the rest of the arab world every year? Yes, that crap happens in America too, but at least there are laws against it here.

Racism in America swings both ways. Must I remind you of the national association black social workers view that white people should not adopt black kids. Just google it's pretty well known in the adoption world.

Like I said before I have black kids, and I've gotten crap for it a few times. An old white person, and yes... Middle age black people more than once. Jerks exist in all races and cultures.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM #31
Iamamartianchurch
 
 
Iamamartianchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Many people take their heritage seriously and love it and are always given crap about it; especially from those who devote much energy acting as mouth pieces for open-mindedness and all the other hot options under that banner. Any sign of preference is automatically assumed to be rooted in a deep seated hatred of others when in fact that preference comes from a deep love and pride. There are many who actually fall under the category of the word racist for hating others though too often we forget the arrogance of the empathy crowd who believe in absolute smugness that their duty is to care for races they view as being beneath themselves. Going even further to assert that there are no differences between them. That a black man should not have pride in his heritage because that heritage is nothing more than matter of his appearance. As I said earlier, insulting.

The worst part about this black history month, as supra acknowledged, is that its entirely focused on the negative. As a reminder to whites. It's not even about blacks at all. Black history month is white history month featuring the history of white treatment of blacks. Curious.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:18 PM #32
BALLSOHARD!
Just a Balla' on a Budget
 
BALLSOHARD!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
White people have been singling out black people since the founding of this country, but up until the 70's it was always in a very bad way. Now that we do it in a good way the white man gets all uppity again.

Listen, if white's weren't such dicks there would be no reason no remember the struggles that black people had to face. Since they were, it's best we remember it.
Alright so what race are you ? Because I'm sure I can find many dick moves that your race has pulled!
__________________
*JUS LIVIN IT UP LIKE A BALLER WITH THAT YOUNG AUTOCOCKER *
BALLSOHARD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:02 PM #33
412 (Banned)
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
This is gold

Why did this stop?

No response from the Supraarab?
412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM #34
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
I know this is old but I'm going to revive it because reading through it I don't think any good answer was really given to explain the purpose of Black History Month.

It was said the Black History IS American History. And that is 100% true.....but the problem is that our education system doesn't teach that. Our education system bleaches our history that the accomplishments and contributions of not only blacks but many cultures are left out.
I remember lots of teaching in school about George Washington, Ab Lincoln, Ben Franklin, American Revolution, Christopher Columbus, so on and so on. For black history we got a little MLK Jr, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Jackie Robinson and maybe one or two others as if that was all blacks had contributed to American History. But what about George Washington Carver, Madam CJ Walker, Fredrick Douglas, WEB DuBois, Benjamin Banneker and I could go on and on. What about the contributions of historical men and women from other races and cultures in America's past? What about telling the TRUE history of this country and all its misdeeds? How we stole this land from its native people? How we enslaved another people for over 400 years and then freed them only to, basically, legalize racial discrimination for over half a century more? How we placed over 100,000 Japanese Americans in internment camps during WWII? And so much more. I find it funny how schools love to teach about the American Revolution but leave out how only about 20 years later we were getting out ***** handed to us in the War of 1812.

When you whitewash history to make it look like this country was built on all noble deeds, to make it look like one race is superior and the others have not contributed nearly as much you have what we do today....a need for "spotlights" on various races/cultures. A chance to not only show that we DID play a part in the country but remember the real history. All of it.
So if you really have a problem with Black History Month then be mad at the education system for making it necessary. Perhaps if the DOE actually taught REAL American History; the Good, Bad and the Ugly; then we wouldn't need cultural months.

Oh and by the way Black HistoryMonth isn't the only designated month
February - Black History Month
March - Women's History Month
May - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
September - Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month
November - American Indian Heritage Month
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:49 PM #35
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff
 
TheSilentAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Who the hell didn't learn about George Washington Carter in grade school?
__________________
“There are only two kinds of people, those who accept dogmas and know it, and those who accept dogmas and don’t know it.” – G. K. Chesterton - The Mercy of Mr. Arnold Bennett, Fancies vs. Fads
TheSilentAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:26 PM #36
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Who the hell didn't learn about George Washington Carter in grade school?
Me..
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:25 AM #37
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
We ARE different and everybody knows it. To pretend we're all the same and that you don't see color is to deny a large part of a person's identity. Black history should be taught as American history and there should be a month to celebrate Black history to remind people not to be such *******s and not to repeat the mistakes of the past.
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:32 AM #38
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior
 
Paper_Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
I know this is old but I'm going to revive it because reading through it I don't think any good answer was really given to explain the purpose of Black History Month.

It was said the Black History IS American History. And that is 100% true.....but the problem is that our education system doesn't teach that. Our education system bleaches our history that the accomplishments and contributions of not only blacks but many cultures are left out.
I remember lots of teaching in school about George Washington, Ab Lincoln, Ben Franklin, American Revolution, Christopher Columbus, so on and so on. For black history we got a little MLK Jr, Rosa Parks, Malcolm X, Jackie Robinson and maybe one or two others as if that was all blacks had contributed to American History. But what about George Washington Carver, Madam CJ Walker, Fredrick Douglas, WEB DuBois, Benjamin Banneker and I could go on and on. What about the contributions of historical men and women from other races and cultures in America's past? What about telling the TRUE history of this country and all its misdeeds? How we stole this land from its native people? How we enslaved another people for over 400 years and then freed them only to, basically, legalize racial discrimination for over half a century more? How we placed over 100,000 Japanese Americans in internment camps during WWII? And so much more. I find it funny how schools love to teach about the American Revolution but leave out how only about 20 years later we were getting out ***** handed to us in the War of 1812.

When you whitewash history to make it look like this country was built on all noble deeds, to make it look like one race is superior and the others have not contributed nearly as much you have what we do today....a need for "spotlights" on various races/cultures. A chance to not only show that we DID play a part in the country but remember the real history. All of it.
So if you really have a problem with Black History Month then be mad at the education system for making it necessary. Perhaps if the DOE actually taught REAL American History; the Good, Bad and the Ugly; then we wouldn't need cultural months.

Oh and by the way Black HistoryMonth isn't the only designated month
February - Black History Month
March - Women's History Month
May - Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
September - Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month
November - American Indian Heritage Month
Well, for starters, the "bad" parts of history are taught in schools, however, you can't possibly cover the entirety of our countries history in the 9(or 18 if you took AH 2) weeks teachers have to spend on it.
However, the reason blacks don't appear very often in America's history is because the reason isn't very politically correct: during most of our history, blacks were for the most part slaves and even when they were free they were denied an education and pretty much any ability to make an impact.

Those other months you mentioned exist but they don't draw the same amount of press that black history month does, so one could also draw the conclusion that evidently our society doesn't think that Women, Asians, Hispanics, and American Indians are as noteworthy as blacks, I have yet to figure out why.

As far as I can tell, the only thing black history month accomplishes is to line up all the white kids in school and tell them that they are horrible people and should be ashamed of themselves. It hasn't led to higher education rates for black kids, it hasn't lowered black on black crime, and only increases the gap between black and white.

Going back to the months they mention: those months that are hardly talked about, there are very few people who as are racist towards asians, american indians, and latinos, as the racism is that is directed towards blacks.

Black history month was to promote "black pride" and try to bridge the gap between blacks and whites, however it is clearly having the opposite effect.
We would be better off treating everyone the same as opposed to drawing the thick red line between the two races that we are doing today.
__________________
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump