Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM #1
ladysmanfelpz

Low pressure project question.

So recently picked up a piranha usp pistol and am stoked cuz I love working on spyders and always wanted a pistol. K so not making this guy low pressure (don't even think it has the air reserve to be capable of it) but definitely modifying it. So I drilled out the valve and bolt to 5/16 of an inch and polished up striker and plant to slot mod it. So I need a new valve pin as my stock leaks and the cupseal is irreplaceable. Stupid Piranha!! But as I am making this a high flow smoother shooting marker, should I pick up a magnaport valve pin or keep stock size? I'm afraid it'll be too tough to tune and dwell will be way to short if I get a high flow valve pin. On my old school kingman hammer I am running the heaviest valve spring and lightest hammer spring just from one of my great polish jobs and it still seems to be shooting hot. So let me know which one I should go with and your experiences with high flowing high pressure projects.

My New Feedback
ladysmanfelpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM #2
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Opteron-O3 is a Supporting Member
Opteron-O3 posts videos on PbNation
Opteron-O3 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
You will reach a certain point that the marker will need a regulator in order to bring down the velocity. Springs can only do so much. Especially since you going for the highest flow possible.
MacrolineGuy.com
Opteron-O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 PM #3
ladysmanfelpz

man i know. Thats why if you read it fully I said I'm keeping it high pressure. So do I keep the stock valve pin or go high flow? guessing the stock should be sufficient enough right?

My New Feedback
Old 03-22-2013, 08:37 PM #4
Opteron-O3
Elite Spyder Owner

Opteron-O3 is a Supporting Member
Opteron-O3 posts videos on PbNation
Opteron-O3 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Stock valve pin. But even then you're still going to run into issues
MacrolineGuy.com
Opteron-O3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:07 PM #5
ladysmanfelpz

why do you say that?

My New Feedback
Old 03-23-2013, 03:56 PM #6
nenkitsune

Because whenever you increase flow, you increase the velocity of the paintball. It'll get to the point, that even with the stiffest valve spring, and weakest striker spring, the velocity will be too high. In fact, you may run into the issue where you need a lighter striker spring to bring the velocity below 300fps, but if the spring were to become any lighter, the gun would fail to recock because it wouldn't be able to open the valve enough to get enough blowback gas (in theory i should say, however, this could be remedied by griding portions of the valve pin to direct more air to the striker)

you are going to need some sort of regulator to drop the pressure if you intend to do any substantial modifications to the air flow.

Spyder E-99 Avant (out of commission/spimmifying)
Kingman EM-1: Kapp Bushmaster V/A, Bumper mod, Modded stock bolt, Tboarded (ver a), WGP Ergo reg

My Feedback
nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM #7
Bigjoe11
"The Boss"

Bigjoe11 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Bigjoe11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bigjoe11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bigjoe11 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by nenkitsune View Post
Because whenever you increase flow, you increase the velocity of the paintball. It'll get to the point, that even with the stiffest valve spring, and weakest striker spring, the velocity will be too high. In fact, you may run into the issue where you need a lighter striker spring to bring the velocity below 300fps, but if the spring were to become any lighter, the gun would fail to recock because it wouldn't be able to open the valve enough to get enough blowback gas (in theory i should say, however, this could be remedied by griding portions of the valve pin to direct more air to the striker)

you are going to need some sort of regulator to drop the pressure if you intend to do any substantial modifications to the air flow.
I think he said he plans to slot mod it, in that case he would be fine doing whatever. It pump guns, higher flow= lower spring tension= easier cocking.