PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-23-2013, 05:45 PM #1
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Black history month

I realize the purpose of this is... well I suppose it is to bring to light the history of black people. However, should we make that distinction?

Rosa Parks, MLK, Underground Railroad, and Jim Crowe laws are all American history. Yet, we only get that during "black history month." It kind of tells kids that: "this other stuff was American history, which is the history of all the Americans, and this is black history, which we don't study as "American history," because it is black history, because blacks aren't Americans."
A society free of racism is one where no distinction is made between races, good or bad, "we are all equal." While we are fighting human's basic instincts to try and "get rid of racism," black history month and other such programs put a spotlight on certain minorities is probably doing more harm than good.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 03-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 06:35 PM #2
Iamamartianchurch

I got addicted to crack in spirit of the season. Did you do anything special?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM #3
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Not falling for that trap. The mods are watching me close enough as it is, I don't want to give them an excuse.

98% of paintballers make up statistics. Post this in your sig if you're part of the 2% that doesn't.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 AM #4
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
One issue is that a culture has a tendency to want to forget their past mistakes. And a forgotten mistake is a mistake that can be made again. So there may be a benefit to spotlighting a category of past mistakes from time to time.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 01:04 PM #5
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

It's simply a month to acknowledge the struggles that the African American population had to fight through to gain freedom and highlights the situations and events that their leaders went through.

What's the big deal?
SupraSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:33 AM #6
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarius View Post
One issue is that a culture has a tendency to want to forget their past mistakes. And a forgotten mistake is a mistake that can be made again. So there may be a benefit to spotlighting a category of past mistakes from time to time.
All peoples have done these things to each other. Blacks as a whole are hardly innocent. Who do you think we bought ours from? Black history month is only celebrated by racists anyway. The type of racist who thinks minorities need special treatment, their own holidays and other such propping ups.

I can't decide which is worse, people who hate blacks. Or people who use blacks as tools of politics and their own social gains.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM #7
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Soft racism cuts far deeper than overt racism.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM #8
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSuper View Post
It's simply a month to acknowledge the struggles that the African American population had to fight through to gain freedom and highlights the situations and events that their leaders went through.

What's the big deal?
The big deal is that black history month singles-out blacks from the rest of the population, and everyone has to be OK with it. What would the backlash be if we celebrated English-American history month?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:50 PM #9
Cat Scratch Fever!
Wang Dang Sweet Poontang

What about Cherokee history month?
Cat Scratch Fever! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:57 AM #10
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Scratch Fever! View Post
What about Cherokee history month?
There is no cherokee history month, or chinese history month, and as a result there is very little hate or prejudice directed at these groups.
Only recently have latinos started to separate themselves from the rest of America, focusing on their culture, and what quickly followed was a strong anti-immigration push on the borders of Mexico and other South American countries.

When you shine a spotlight on a certain group that is exactly what you are doing. You are grouping them and separating them from the general population. As a result people look at them as a separate group and begin to compile group norms to go with that group that don't apply to the main group because they aren't perceived as part of the main group.

Basically, black history month is doing everything but generating equality. It is human nature to try and group things. And with black history month it is alienating a large section of society and pitting them against 13% of the population(of the US). By uplifting blacks you force every other group to put blacks down in the interest of self preservation, because deep down is a primal need to secure your own safety and prioritize the need to be at the top. And when you force someone else on top, you force those on the bottom to forcibly try and come up with ways to put themselves at either the same level or higher.

Without a doubt, for us or against us is human natures "go to" response and only through conscience self effort can we break free of that in certain scenarios.

Fact is: I bet if you got rid of all racial laws, both good and bad, and simply said "everyone is equal, everyone is American" hate would quickly go away. Because whenever someone saw a black person, or a white person, or a latino, cherokee, asian, they would say "they look different to me, but they pose no threat to my position in the social ladder, so I have no reason to be hostile."

Last edited by Paper_Cut : 03-28-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:27 AM #11
Iamamartianchurch

I think you're pretty ignorant for saying that Cherokee, German, Chinese or Arab is only skin deep.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:37 PM #12
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
The big deal is that black history month singles-out blacks from the rest of the population, and everyone has to be OK with it. What would the backlash be if we celebrated English-American history month?
White people have been singling out black people since the founding of this country, but up until the 70's it was always in a very bad way. Now that we do it in a good way the white man gets all uppity again.

Listen, if white's weren't such dicks there would be no reason no remember the struggles that black people had to face. Since they were, it's best we remember it.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM #13
Iamamartianchurch

Every group on this planet is guilty of singling out nonmembers. If you are insisting that Whites are the only guilty party or are somehow MORE guilty than any other group on the planet you can go to hell.

Here's a thought for your day. Asian groups, including those who live in this country, are highly insular. Family will shame you for marrying outside your race. Indians to my knowledge do as well, same with conservative Jews.

Everyone is going to be wearing a pretty nasty scarlet letter if we look at things your way. You can start by pinning them on the shoulders of Africans who captured their own into slavery and eventually started selling them to Europeans. Oh then we can go after Latinos. Since their ancestors took many slaves, some of them even killed children.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 03-28-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:36 PM #14
Umami
Mad as a hatter

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Soft racism cuts far deeper than overt racism.
Only because overt racism is now so strongly frowned upon.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:15 AM #15
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Every group on this planet is guilty of singling out nonmembers. If you are insisting that Whites are the only guilty party or are somehow MORE guilty than any other group on the planet you can go to hell.

Here's a thought for your day. Asian groups, including those who live in this country, are highly insular. Family will shame you for marrying outside your race. Indians to my knowledge do as well, same with conservative Jews.

Everyone is going to be wearing a pretty nasty scarlet letter if we look at things your way. You can start by pinning them on the shoulders of Africans who captured their own into slavery and eventually started selling them to Europeans. Oh then we can go after Latinos. Since their ancestors took many slaves, some of them even killed children.

I'm not saying whites are more guilty of doing it compared to other races. I'm saying they did it to black people in America since the 1500's and now that they aren't aloud to do it anymore, we should be reminded that not very long ago it was happening. Not a very hard concept.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 AM #16
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:

I'm not saying whites are more guilty of doing it compared to other races. I'm saying they did it to black people in America since the 1500's and now that they aren't aloud to do it anymore, we should be reminded that not very long ago it was happening. Not a very hard concept.
I don't know anyone who owned slaves and know very few people who benefited from Jim Crowe laws, and none of them are applying for college or jobs.

We haven't made everything equal, we have simply slammed the see-saw in the other direction.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:03 PM #17
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Then why stop there? Let's have Irish-immigrant history month! Or how about child-labor history month?! Without much effort, we can easily come up with several dozen groups of people that have been treated poorly throughout American history.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:08 PM #18
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:

I included the word "if" to avoid this sort of thing.

Would you object to black history month also serving as a reminder that blacks were enslaved by their own, sold like property to whites? This reminder thing is going to get pretty messy.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 03-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM #19
SupraSuper
Celebrate Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I included the word "if" to avoid this sort of thing.

Would you object to black history month also serving as a reminder that blacks were enslaved by their own, sold like property to whites? This reminder thing is going to get pretty messy.
Blacks in America never owned black slaves, nor did black Americans deny other black Americans civil rights up until the 70's.

If you fail to acknowledge the persecution the African-American population faced and is still facing as unique in both its scale and significance, than you're living in fantasy land.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:40 AM #20
Bob24
Agg is for faggs.

White guilt or white privilege?
Bob24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM #21
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Blacks in America never owned black slaves, nor did black Americans deny other black Americans civil rights up until the 70's.

If you fail to acknowledge the persecution the African-American population faced and is still facing as unique in both its scale and significance, than you're living in fantasy land.
What you fail to acknowledge is that nobody has owned or been owned as a slave in America(to my knowledge).

Both sides of my family came over on a boat dirt poor back in the in the beginning of the 1900's.
I have never owned a slave and nobody I am related to has ever owned a slave. I don't see why I should feel guilty because someone who happened to have roughly the same amount of melanin in their skin owned slaves.

It's kind of like every Jew in the world demanding you pay reparations because Hamas is firing rockets at Israel.