Old 03-23-2013, 03:25 AM #1
I need a dye dam
Empire > Dye

I need a dye dam owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I need a dye dam owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I need a dye dam has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I need a dye dam has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Cutting down the feedneck

I have a low rise feedneck in my axe but my rotor sits up high on it. Can I cut it down to make it not stick up as much? Will it damage the rotor? Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 06:15 AM #2
PatrickWRX
Ipswich Unwanted

Annual Supporting Member
PatrickWRX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PatrickWRX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Measure twice, cut once. People have been cutting/sanding/filing hopper necks since the beginning of paintball. Might lower the resale value, if that is a concern.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM #3
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

I think rotors are pretty fricken low to begin... Don't know why you'd need to cut it, but it can certainly be done.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:20 PM #4
minimag03

has been a member for 10 years
minimag03 is an NCPA player
minimag03 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickWRX View Post
Measure twice, cut once. People have been cutting/sanding/filing hopper necks since the beginning of paintball. Might lower the resale value, if that is a concern.
I never really saw people cutting feednecks until force-feed hoppers became the norm. Before that the more balls you could stack vertically the better.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM #5
PatrickWRX
Ipswich Unwanted

Annual Supporting Member
PatrickWRX has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PatrickWRX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I tend to exaggerate, my apologies. I did see a lot of cutting and sanding to cram certain hoppers into the old solid vertical feednecks, before the clamping era began. Especially the first Halo's, they were seriously thick.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:26 PM #6
blueshifty

Vlocitys NEEDED the feedneck cut down. It doesn't make sense to me when people worry about it not working right because the ball stack height varies from gun to gun so the hopper should work fine.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:59 PM #7
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

As long as you cut it so that the hopper eyes can see a ball when the stack is at rest, it'll be fine.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:05 PM #8
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
As long as you cut it so that the hopper eyes can see a ball when the stack is at rest, it'll be fine.
That doesn't make sense to me sinse different feednecks and guns have a different stack height so you have no way of knowing on the gun (stock or otherwise) where the balls will land relative to the eyes.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM #9
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

If you measure how far it is from the bottom of the stack (ie: the bottom of the breach) to the hopper eyes and divide it by the measurement of one paintball (same unit of measure), then you can figure out how many balls it takes to reach the hopper's eyes properly.

What you don't want to do is cut the feedneck so that the eyes don't register a ball when the stack is at rest, because then the hopper will tend to use too much tension and crush balls because it will think there's no balls in the raceway and try to spin until its eyes register one.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:20 PM #10
blueshifty

Yeah, but what if that feedneck breaks or I change guns? That distance varies from marker to marker so, in my experience, where you cut the feedneck doesn't really matter.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM #11
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
Yeah, but what if that feedneck breaks or I change guns? That distance varies from marker to marker so, in my experience, where you cut the feedneck doesn't really matter.
Well yes, obviously if you switch guns then the distance from the bottom of the breach to the hopper's eyes will change. When you slice a feedneck off to make the hopper flush with the gun, you're basically making a commitment that you can't go back from. Kind of like a tattoo. lol
Old 03-24-2013, 01:05 PM #12
blueshifty

I guess you're not understanding my point. With the stock height the hopper works regardless of the gun. That means that the stack height (relative to the eyes) would vary from gun to gun... cutting the feedback changes that geometry but it still doesn't matter.