aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Knowing how to play all of the bunkers?

So, something I've been noticing lately is that tons of people are only adapted to playing one bunker set. So, there are snake players, dorito players, center players, back players, etc. That's not what's surprising, what is surprising is seeing how many of these players are only able to play those bunkers. Then it's also surprising to be called an egotistical front player for knowing how to play a bunker and actually playing it...

Is it just me or does it seem like too many people are focused on playing one bunker set and one bunker set only?

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM #2
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
I don't think so. I see players of all levels, divisional and pro, play multiple bunker sets.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 AM #3
CSchaffs
I'm a Rooster Illusion

CSchaffs owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
I don't think so. I see players of all levels, divisional and pro, play multiple bunker sets.
This seems like more the case these days. I think its becoming general practice that everyone on the team know how to play every bunker and be able to do the other guy's job. Obviously people still have their positions and niches but if you only go to one bunker every game eventually the other team is going to figure that out and shoot you off the break
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM #4
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
At the upper divisions, the only thing you won't see every point is a dorito player that's solid in the snake. Snake players have to play just about every bunker leading into the snake each season. Dorito players rarely have to play the snake.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:44 PM #5
John
Straight shooter with upper management written all over him.

Annual Supporting Member
John is playing at Living Legends VII
John has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
John is a PbNation video producer
If you want to play a lot of paintball, get used to playing different spots. You never know when you'll have the opportunity to play and you don't want to suck at a spot because you never practiced it.

A couple of the pro teams this last weekend had their primary snake guy in the doritos: like Keith Brown from Damage (where they took 2nd). Mouse from Ironmen played several spots. JRab played more than just snake last year for Damage as well.

Dynasty had their primary front dorito player in the snake the whole event at Vegas NPPL (where they won).

A friend of mine who considered himself a snake player tried out for his first pro team and ended up playing the doritos all weekend. It wasn't until after they picked him up that they asked where he usually played. If he had sucked those first dorito points, or he'd waited and only played when he had the opportunity to in the snake, who knows if he would have made the cut.
John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 PM #6
folger
914th GIR

folger is playing at Living Legends V
folger is playing at Living Legends VI
folger is playing at Living Legends VII
folger owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
If you want to be a top player I feel like you have to know how to play the entire field and all positions. Just my thoughts haha

Overkill Paintball Team
folger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM #7
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

has been a member for 10 years
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Coenen has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I've always felt that a player doesn't need to be great at everything, but he at least needs to be competent with all of the different bunkers/positions. I understand not everyone is going to be a great snake guy, or awesome in the doritos, but you've got to at least be able to hit those spots, stay alive, and do a little work if the need arises.

I will definitely say, versatility is one thing that rec-ball is really good for practicing. There's very little pressure, and you can put yourself in a position to try different stuff and have a chance to learn without necessarily having to worry about getting murdered if you make a mistake. Obviously, you need practice against "live" opposition to really excel, but I like the idea of letting a guy at least get his feet under him before throwing him in to higher intensity game situations.

I think a lot of younger players, and teams look to fill specific needs, and they end up handicapping themselves by teaching their players only one specific set of skills. If that player needs to adapt to changing conditions in the game he's a fish out of water and pretty much just waiting to get shot.
...and it's gone.
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:52 PM #8
JL1988

JL1988 plays in the APPA beginner division
I like to be versatile on the field. I will go most anywhere my team needs me. Only position I don't particularly care for is snake, but I will still play if needed. Others throw me in front, back, etc.
JL1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM #9
HoustonEliminatorsPB
Did this comment help u->

HoustonEliminatorsPB is playing at Living Legends VI
HoustonEliminatorsPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
HoustonEliminatorsPB plays in the APPA beginner division
HoustonEliminatorsPB has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As a snake player, I've noticed how its a little easier to adapt to different bunkers than a back player since you're having to play a lot of different bunkers in the snake but if you are thinking about playing snake just know you should know how to play a variety of bunkers. Including Doritos.
HoustonEliminatorsPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:34 PM #10
GanjaPalooza
Double D

GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D4 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintball players at a competitive level NEED to be able to play every bunker on the field. Obviously some players will be a little better in a certain bunker than other bunkers, but that is because they tend to get a lot more experience in the bunkers their position is affiliated with.

If you need practice in a certain bunker and/or a certain position : PRACTICE IT. In tournaments is definitely not the best time to realize you need work in this area... although there is always room for improvement, not matter who you are.

Also, why do I see Professional Players/PSP Divisonal Players shooting right-handed when shooting out of the left side of the bunker?!?!?!? I understand sometimes they catch something with their eyes that requires instantaneous transfer of fire without having the time to really swap hands, but I also see it happen where they had all day to switch hands and never do.

I have been playing since like '04 so I don't know if shooting left-handed has gone out of style for newer players, or if some people just don't get it? But with ramping so dominant now'a'days (which it wasn't when I first started playing), there should be no excuse for high-level players to be coming out of the left side of a bunker shooting right handed.... am I wrong?!
Old 03-24-2013, 03:06 AM #11
TeamAlice
Peow Peow Peow Peow

TeamAlice owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
TeamAlice has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I see it a bit, but normally only when they are focused on there right side but want to quickly pop out the left to fire a few balls but stay predominantly right which i have no problem with.

Weapon Planet Eclipse Etek 3AM w/ Hush Bolt & Ape Rampage Board
Hopper Dye Rotor V3 w/ Exalt Speed Feed
Tank Luxifer 48/3000 w/ Ninja Reg & Exalt Bottle Cover
The Rest Custom PE Team Jersey, HK Army Hardline Stealth pants, Dye i4's, HK Army Eject Harness 3+4, and Dye Core Knee & Elbow Pads, Dye Sandana and Derder Headband
TeamAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:48 AM #12
bcrguy
F**k S**t Up...

bcrguy is playing at Living Legends VI
bcrguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i have seen a few players that can only play one position, but most of the people i play with on a regular basis are fairly comfortable playing just about anything. i know myself if given the choice il play dorito front, i used to play snake alot. but if needed il play whatever, just to mix it up. also if you play a layout on other positions you can see where has shots on you when your playing your choice position.

edit. i saw someone post about people not being able to shoot left. and i have seen this alot. i personally have been working on shooting with my left hand for awhile and i find my snapshooting is ok but i cant walk as fast as i can with my right.
Citrus Connection #88

Last edited by bcrguy : 03-24-2013 at 08:53 AM.
bcrguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 PM #13
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
About the popping out on the left with it still in the right hand, if I can offer some insight.

When I'm playing a mid bunker that I can lock dorito down from but I want to cover snake for a few seconds while my guy moves up and I think I might have to rip back to dorito quickly I won't switch hands. That's just for an example, since I might have time to switch hands to cover my left, but I don't know if I'll be able to cover my right quickly enough.

Hopefully that makes some sense.

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM #14
JL1988

JL1988 plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaPalooza View Post
Also, why do I see Professional Players/PSP Divisonal Players shooting right-handed when shooting out of the left side of the bunker?!?!?!? I understand sometimes they catch something with their eyes that requires instantaneous transfer of fire without having the time to really swap hands, but I also see it happen where they had all day to switch hands and never do.

I have been playing since like '04 so I don't know if shooting left-handed has gone out of style for newer players, or if some people just don't get it? But with ramping so dominant now'a'days (which it wasn't when I first started playing), there should be no excuse for high-level players to be coming out of the left side of a bunker shooting right handed.... am I wrong?!
I'm in the same boat as you, started playing in '03 and was always taught to shoot with your left hand. We'd get shot by our coach if we were shooting right handed out of the left side of the bunker. It seems that sometimes it can be a tighter shot without switching hands from what I've noticed..but still not a habit I'm ready to commit to.
JL1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:30 AM #15
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
I've always felt that a player doesn't need to be great at everything, but he at least needs to be competent with all of the different bunkers/positions. I understand not everyone is going to be a great snake guy, or awesome in the doritos, but you've got to at least be able to hit those spots, stay alive, and do a little work if the need arises.

I will definitely say, versatility is one thing that rec-ball is really good for practicing. There's very little pressure, and you can put yourself in a position to try different stuff and have a chance to learn without necessarily having to worry about getting murdered if you make a mistake. Obviously, you need practice against "live" opposition to really excel, but I like the idea of letting a guy at least get his feet under him before throwing him in to higher intensity game situations.

I think a lot of younger players, and teams look to fill specific needs, and they end up handicapping themselves by teaching their players only one specific set of skills. If that player needs to adapt to changing conditions in the game he's a fish out of water and pretty much just waiting to get shot.
There's nothing for me to add now, because you said it all lol.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // PM6 // Angel Speed 05 FST
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote