Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-21-2013, 10:12 PM #1
Corpusknight

How do barrels work

Okay I've been paint-balling for few years finally got motivated to get my own equipment and I wanna understand how different barrels affect my gun. I think I have an okay gras but i want to make sure I understand. How do barrel lengths affect shots? How different types of barrels also affect shots and how add-ons to barrels make it shoot differently? I would appreciate knowing the pros and cons for each
Corpusknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 PM #2
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Barrels don't affect shots as long as the interior isn't scratched to hell.

Basically, undamaged barrel > damaged barrel. Not Dye > PE or Deadlywind > Freak. It's all about YOUR choice of what bore size, control bore (half a pod extra if you underbore with a longer control bore), and barrel system.

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM #3
wowzerz
Pump Karni King

wowzerz is attending Decay of Nations VI
Barrel length is just preference.
All barrels will shoot the same. Bore size will affect efficiency and consistency but the changes are so small I wouldn't even worry about it if you are just starting out.
wowzerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 PM #4
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!

IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Stock barrels will shoot the same as aftermarket barrels of the same bore and condition. Only thing that will change is sound signature. More or less.
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:59 PM #5
Corpusknight

So changing my 10 inch standard barrel to a longer barrel for my bt delta won't really changing anything? I was looking at raptor barrels but I don't want to waste my money
Old 03-21-2013, 11:03 PM #6
robotboy

robotboy is playing at Living Legends VII
robotboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robotboy owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
robotboy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
yo

Just focus more on getting better paint. Thats the main thing that'll help with consistency and accuracy.
robotboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:13 PM #7
Corpusknight

Okay thanks guys I appreciate the help
Old 03-22-2013, 05:47 AM #8
Mr. Stealthy

Barrel length has no effect on spread and virtually no effect on distance. A barrel that is 2 inches longer will propel the ball 2 inches farther.

Bore size can effect both efficiency and consistency. Generally speaking, a bore size larger than the paint will be consistent but not as air efficient. A bore size that matches the ball size will not be as consistent but will be more efficient than the larger bore. A bore size slightly smaller than the ball will be both consistent and efficient but can cause more paint breaks if the weather is cold (in normal conditions it shouldn't cause any more paint breaks). Generally the longer the control bore length the better effect it is going to have on efficiency with the ideal length being somewhere between 7-10 inches. Barrels with more porting tend to be quieter but less efficient and barrels with fewer ports tend to be more efficient but louder.

Notice none of these differences direct effect accuracy (consistency being the closest one). The most important factor is the paint. High quality paint + either a bore size slightly over the ball size or slightly under + a good quality regulator will yield the best "accuracy" possible.
Mr. Stealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:31 AM #9
Maxx102
Paintball Jedi

has been a member for 10 years
As others have said, paint to bore match gives you more consistant shot on shot performance - i.e. you know where the paint is headed when it leaves the barrel.

As far as length, it depends on what kind of paintball you play and it depends on what you are comfortable with. I personally shoot 14 or 16 inch barrels because when I am on a speedball field I can use my marker and barrel to push in on the bunker....result - very little of me is showing.

Same premise is when I am on the woodsball field, I only need to expose my barrel to clear tree trunks, tree limbs, bushes, etc to shoot instead of half my body.

That said, if you are tight on cash I would stay away from the from barrel kits and stick to a single decent barrel.
Maxx102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:38 AM #10
Jinx18
Dynamic

Jinx18 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stealthy View Post
Barrel length has no effect on spread and virtually no effect on distance. A barrel that is 2 inches longer will propel the ball 2 inches farther.

Bore size can effect both efficiency and consistency. Generally speaking, a bore size larger than the paint will be consistent but not as air efficient. A bore size that matches the ball size will not be as consistent but will be more efficient than the larger bore. A bore size slightly smaller than the ball will be both consistent and efficient but can cause more paint breaks if the weather is cold (in normal conditions it shouldn't cause any more paint breaks). Generally the longer the control bore length the better effect it is going to have on efficiency with the ideal length being somewhere between 7-10 inches. Barrels with more porting tend to be quieter but less efficient and barrels with fewer ports tend to be more efficient but louder.

Notice none of these differences direct effect accuracy (consistency being the closest one). The most important factor is the paint. High quality paint + either a bore size slightly over the ball size or slightly under + a good quality regulator will yield the best "accuracy" possible.
1. That is only with relation to the breech. From barrel tip they will all shoot the same distance.

2. Says who?

Gearbag Sale!!!!!
Jinx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM #11
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx18 View Post
1. That is only with relation to the breech. From barrel tip they will all shoot the same distance.

2. Says who?
1. That's what I was referring to, sorry for the misconception.

2. Bryce Larson and the Punkworks crew. Its not absolute gospel but they have some of the best testing out there. Flasc also did similar control bore length testing with their barrels.
Mr. Stealthy is online now   Reply With Quote