PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-28-2013, 12:52 AM #43
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Annual Supporting Member
Not sure where people are coming up with these ideas that low end guns are the same as high end guns but they evidently aren't taking a look at the guns.
While it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, many companies attempt to put out a decent low end gun, and a high end gun that is even better.

A mid range gun will work for anything you could want. It will fire paintballs, you can change settings, it does everything a paintball gun should do. However, some companies make guns that go above and beyond that, where you read the list of things it has and think "wow, this thing has more features than I could ever think to use."

However, some companies just want the markup. Like Kee with the Vanquish, or Machine with the Vapor.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 05:39 AM #44
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
However, some companies just want the markup. Like Kee with the Vanquish, or Machine with the Vapor.
So a luxe with more features and a lower price tag is kee conspiracy?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 AM #45
FallenHero_08
KCCO

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99BPS View Post
If the money is an issue, don't buy a 1000$ gun. Most people buying those markers new are doing so at a sponsored price, or because they make enough money that they want to indulge their paintball hobby further. If your just trying to play at a decent cost, and not be at a disadvantage, Axes, and some of the nicer DP markers are every bit as good.

The 1000$ markers have little bells and whistles, warranties, and (sometimes such as the Luxe or Vanquish) are much easier to maintain. If a few 100$ bucks is just a week or two of saving, then the difference is worth it. If a few 100$ bucks means not playing for weeks and weeks, then go with the Axe or a used higher end. The performance difference in a game between a classic SP impulse and a new EGO is not major really, not worth the cash. For general use, the 1000$ has advantages, but is not "worth it" in a pure value for performance on the field perspective. In fact I think more of the differences are off the field, such as maintaing the marker and overall build quality (so time between replacing major parts/how long lasting the marker will be)
I'll start off by saying, this is not meant to be an attack on you in any way. Your post has some points that i would simply like to correct.

How could you possibly say that the Vanquish is easy to maintain, when not a Single person on earth has used the production model for more then a few months... most of them are not even broken in yet, let alone in a stage of steady maintaining.

The Luxe as well, is not a gun that i would label as easy to maintain. i would say that the majority of egos/poppets are much easier, and many pros and players have stated that they don't do any maintenance, or little at all on these high ends.

My biggest problem with this post, is that you compared the performance of a classic SP impulse, to a New ego (lets assume a CSL, not even the "new" ego)... Ill venture to say that if you shot them back to back, you would put your foot in your mouth so fast your shoe laces would pop out your butt-hole.

I would Never pay MSRP for a new gun. If your honestly a rec player, i would spend 2-600 on anything from a UL pmr, pm8, dm6-8, ego7-8, DP anything, to even a mini with a few ups, and be happy for the rest of my days.

My wife occasionally come to the field with me, and she will pick up her mini every time before she reaches for any one of my high ends or the awesome shockers in my gearbag. she has shot them all, and the mini is comfortable for her small hands, and shoots plenty fast and accurate enough for her skill level. I would say that she is better then your average rec player, and would rather throw a tippman or spyder across the field before she would shoot one. The difference is that she does not follow the hype of PBnation, and she ignores my drooling over the newest high-end. She shot a friends axe for several games and said it shoots similar enough to her up'd mini to not even consider getting one. Can i tell the difference, Yes. Can your rec-baller friends or the coworker you brought to the field? probably not so much.
FallenHero_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM #46
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Alot of what the 1000+ guns give is prestige on the field.....that lasts until you play for the first couple of times. Find what you like and stick with it. Play as often as to can and build skill then worry about higher end guns and such. I typically buy used try it ON THE FIELD, and if I like it keep if not trade and try something else.

Here's a couple of the most telling stories between skill vs gear. Saw a younger guy 15 or so with complete matching Dye gear. DM13. Rotor, i4, jersey, pants, attack pack, etc. who walked up to me and immediately started trash talking my NT11 and others in the gear area. Typically for rec ball we play 2 games. 1 team starts on a side then we switch and play a second game without going back to the gear area. This "player" went out with hopper and 4 pods and came back in with 4 pods after almost every outing. He consistently blames his crappy UL barrel, his marker's kicked too hard, mask fogged, etc.

Story 2 kid with beat up ion, old electronic hopper, and used everything else. He didn't have a pod pack so he carried 2 pods in his hands to the field. He would put 1 pod on the ground and hold the other in his hand. At break he would run as fast as he could and superman into the snake. He would then move up low in the snake until 50. 9 times out of 10 he won games for his team. On 5 on 5 he would get 3.

Moral of the story get gear that works and play. Work on skills and upgrade a little at a time starting with what doesn't work well for you. If it I s humid where you play and your hopper jams buy one that doesn't Z2 or Spire. I started with a v1 prophecy and eventually bought a spire because I play in humid Houston and jams do happen.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:57 AM #47
lxmott

lxmott owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
lxmott supports Team VICIOUS
Personally all I shoot is PE because one you have a high end marker it's hard to go back to a Tippmann or bt. I had alot of trouble with my mid range guns etek didn't work very well and the axe is way to heavy and unbalanced for. I do think there is a a big difference in quality and performance from a 1000 dollar gun to the mid range gun. And yes I think they are worth it.
lxmott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 AM #48
Hammar

The short answer is absolutely no, they are not worth it. It is just to stroke people's egos and because they like how they look.

A $1000 or $2000 gun won't make you play any better.

You're much better off getting a nice used highend for $250-350 or so and spending $750 on personal training sessions and sprinting coach sessions.

Your car analogies fall short, the true analogy would be like having a drag race between a Ferrari 458(newest highend paintball gun) vs a Early 2000s Corvette w/ a supercharger (used highend gun), let's say they are both capable of the same 0-60, the same 1/4mile time, same speeds... the Ferrari looks cooler, and might be a little 'smoother' but that's it.

Even crappy markers can do 12.5bps or whatever the low bps rates the caps are these days. Heck 2003 or 2004 Vikings can shoot 30bps no problems, no chops...and with a board it's got all the modes, did I mention shooting a whole case off a 68/4500 efficiency.

You need to ask yourself what you're really paying for? New markers don't shoot faster, new markers don't chop paint any less than high ends of the recent past that teams won world championships with, and they aren't any more efficient... then what are you paying for? 700+ dollars, over the price of a nice used highend, so your marker can be slightly 'smoother' it's a joke.

If I had a dollar for every time I saw some chump with a brand new ego suck all over the field, I'd have enough to buy a brand new highend marker lol. The only thing that will make you better is practice and improved physicality.

Last edited by Hammar : 03-18-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: addendum
Hammar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM #49
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammar View Post
The short answer is absolutely no, they are not worth it. It is just to stroke people's egos and because they like how they look.
Not flaming here, but yes they are! I do however agree with most of what you said. Training, practice, and skills make the player not the marker. So look at it this way would I miss several days at the field to buy a new high end....NO absolutely not, but anyone who tells an Azodin Blitz is as reliable and shoots as well as a G6R sorry I can't buy that.

You can do what many do including myself buy used. Then you get a high end marker for a low end price.

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote