Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 PM #1
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Stick nerf launcher

I'm looking to make or have made a stick launcher that uses the 20 gram shot that has a cover so its not exposed metal piping. I'd like to a 2 to 3 shots out of a cartridge. Tot, budget is $100. I'd like to shoot 3 nerf shots as a anti-tank tool for big games.

Also if I could use it as a multi-pellet launcher against nerf incoming shots at defending tanks. Maybe it will alter flight of incoming nerf shots. If there is a better ammunition for altering nerf shots, let me know.

Also considered a remote line plug in so if thats easier, let me know.

Boom Master, your input is appreciated.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Gotya! To get 2-3 shots out of one 12 gram, you have to have a valve that opens and closes QUICKLY. Then an air chamber, then paintball regulator to control the pressure and you are over budget. You are probably stuck with a single shot.

This is Fastlearners "Pocket Rockets". Carries several clipped on his belt. He is VERY effective at eliminating my walking tank. Main Factor is I and my infantry cannot SEE the itty bitty popgun until AFTER he fires the first one. Well that is all to often, too late...

It runs off a 12 gram adapter but it is a singe shot. On 12 gram per shot.
It takes a while to reload so he just carries a couple. Hands one off to another player occasionally for double trouble for me.

See those pipe unions between the 12 gram holder and the barrel? That is the main valve. He sandwichs household aluminum foil layers in between the two halves of that pipe union as a BURST DISK. Controls the velocity by the number of layers of foil. By the way that little beast will shoot a 230 fps Nerf out of that VERY SHORT barrel.When it goes off, it sounds like a shotgun!

And that is the downside from my point of view. To get that kind of velocity out of a barrel that is that short, you have to have a very high operating pressure. A 12 gram at room temperature is about 1000 psi so GUESSING, it is expanding liquid CO2 into a very small volume will come close to matching that 1000 psi in that pipe. Since we are looking at PVC there, it makes me nervous. Basically, it builds pressure until something GIVES way and so far that has been the aluminum foil.

Many field require the guages, pressure relief valves, limit operating pressures to 150 etc. So make sure you will be allowed to use it.

Now up at Sherwood in LaPorte In, I ran into a BUNCH of pocket rockets of a different design. 12" Barrel, 1/4" Ball Valve, 1" Galvanized pipe air chamber. of various lengths up to a foot. Some were 12 gramers, other just hooked straight into a regulated air supply via remote hose. Range was limited to 20-30 feet. VERY Short Range but like I said, they had a BUNCH of them. I could not get anywhere NEAR their HQ or penetrate any mission into the area they were defending. They protected the perimeter around their HQ quite effectively. Even with infantry going with me, we would swat on or two, then another but just like mosquitos, there was ALWAYS another one waiting to bite. Again, downside. Galvanized pipes are rated 300 psi along with the METAL ball valves. The operating pressure would depend on the volume of the pipe but I'd wager they were past 300. But maybe not since their range was so low.

I asked Fastlearner what his opeating pressure was. He never put a guage on it. Ditto the guys I asked up at Sherwood.

In your R&D prototype for these toys, put a guage on it so YOU know what pressure you are using. Start LOW and work up to whatever your hardware is rated for. Once set, and if the field allows it, you can drop the guage in your field version.

Year ago we had a sort of contest for building the CHEAPEST anti tank weapon. A $10 Nerf gun. Sling shot. Crossbow. Fun thread. One you might be interested in, Budget WISE was 2" THIN Wall, schedule 20 PVC about 4 foot long. Had a screw across the pipe to stop the nerf from falling all the way through. The screw was about halfway down the pipe. Fins were trimmed so it dropped in like a mortar round. To fire it, you just swung it like a baseball bat. That Nerf would come flying out. Not much range but again, how many of them can you build for $100? Equip 30 guys maybe.

Chaw on them there ideas a bit and then swallow or spit.

You could replicate the Shorty for $150 and less if you can scrounge a used reg.

I spent to time pondering using the burst disk idea for an autoloading cannon. Each cartridge would be a PVC shell, burst disk with a Nerf inside. Just a gravity fed magazine. It didn't make it to the drawing board. Went another direction but let me know if you want to move forward and I share my ponderings. It has some potential for a pocket rocket. All you need is a holder for the cartridge that will seal good enough to build pressure behind it. Remote hose with ball valve for a "trigger" to presurize it.

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-08-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:17 PM #3
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Quote:
Year ago we had a sort of contest for building the CHEAPEST anti tank weapon. A $10 Nerf gun. Sling shot. Crossbow. Fun thread. One you might be interested in, Budget WISE was 2" THIN Wall, schedule 20 PVC about 4 foot long. Had a screw across the pipe to stop the nerf from falling all the way through. The screw was about halfway down the pipe. Fins were trimmed so it dropped in like a mortar round. To fire it, you just swung it like a baseball bat. That Nerf would come flying out. Not much range but again, how many of them can you build for $100? Equip 30 guys maybe.
Where is this thread?

Are there burst disks that are not tin foil?

I'm thinking a spring launcher might be best. I only need 120 to 150 fps tops.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM #4
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

So I'm looking at a spring loaded contraption OR taking parts of a invert mini to build a remote line short shot stick.

The mini has an adjustable ASA for psi and a gauge up to 200 psi intake. It can shoot a paintball 300 to 330 fps. Is that high enough to shoot a nerf?
Old 03-09-2013, 12:10 PM #5
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

I just saw a Metadyne Havoc launcher for the I first time. This thing shoots nerfs and full foam rockets at 230 fps. However this is 4 times my budget.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:19 AM #6
Haz-Mat
Team BlackList

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
I just saw a Metadyne Havoc launcher for the I first time. This thing shoots nerfs and full foam rockets at 230 fps. However this is 4 times my budget.
I've never seen a stock Metadyne Havoc shoot near that speed without a few extra barrel extensions.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:42 PM #7
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Quote:
Where is this thread?
Looked for it. Couldn't find it. Many years past.

Quote:
Are there burst disks that are not tin foil?
Yes but very expensive. google

Tried a pair of heavy duty door springss. Not with PVC. Would require metal and machining. Pondered pulleys and such like a compound bow to get the muzzle velocity up. MY GOAL was under $30 so I stopped when it was obviously going to get beyond that.

Plan M was a tube with a Nerf in the tip of it. Springs pulling a piston to slam into the nerf. the physic said my piston would weigh more than the nerf so no different than just pushing the Nerf like an arrow.

You don't have to......
Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM #8
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

How about an adapter to a barrel?

Could a marker shooting 150 to 180 psi that shoots a paintball 270 to 300 fps dry fire a nerf 20 to 30 feet?

Basically I'd use my marker as my air source and shoot unto a 16" tube with auto-cocker threads and a nerf in the barrel. The barrel would thread into the marker.

BoomMaster:
How much output does a launcher need to output to shoot a nerf 130 to 150 fps?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM #9
dorsai

has been a member for 10 years
dorsai posts videos on PbNation
Thinking about how many shots off a 3oz CO2
canister on a Alias MKX, you're looking at about
25, maybe 30 shots. I don't think a single trigger
pull on any marker is going to have enough push
to do the job, but maybe someone else has a
different opinion.
Office: 407.563.3884
Cell: 239.410.9632
Email: ADorsai@aol.com
dorsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM #10
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Won't happen. Not enough volume of air in one shot. Been tried before. Take the barrel off a Freak and just use the insert about 5" long. Cut the fins off a Nerf and stick it in the barrel with a paper Wad behind it to seal. No go just because of the mass difference.

Consider expanding that charge into a 2" barrel say 12" long. Puff!

Quote:
How much output does a launcher need to output to shoot a nerf 130 to 150 fps?
Depends on a LOT of factors you didn't list. The major parameters are Operating pressure. Size of the air chamber. How fast the main valve opens. The flow rate of the valve with full open.

The Shorty just happens to Shoot 190 fps. Uses 150 psi operating pressure in 100 cubic inches of air chamber. The QE -5 has a CV of 7. Has a SHORT barrel by most RPG barrels at 20 inches. Weighs 6 pounds minus the air supply and remote hose that supplies it. (another 3-4 pounds)

Add 12 inches of barrel length and it screams out the barrel in excess of 230 fps. Why? Because the valve does not get completely OPEN before the Nerf leaves the barrel. Uses HALF of that air charge in the air chamber the 150 psi to 75 psi part. The rest of that charge is wasted air. Ditto Sprinkler Valves. Larger internal port but opens more slowly than the QE-5 so they perform more or less the same even though the sprinkler CV rating is higher.

Go with a larger air chamber say 200 ci, and a 5 foot barrel in a tank and you get these 70-90 psi cannons you read about. Not exactly a hand held to play speedball with.

The Havocs and such use HIGH operating pressure and smaller air chambers. Same VOLUME of air that moves through a valve port that is quite a bit smaller than a sprinkler valve. But the pressure differential moves it through FASTER. So they work.

Hope that helps. What ya want to build? No reason to re invent the wheel. Been a while since anybody has come up with a NEW idea how to make a cannon or RPG.

You don't have to......