Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 09:11 AM #106
Japy
Paragon 2014
 
Japy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mid Michigan
Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
Most fields I've been to do not have lockers, nor do most lockers hold much of anything.

Maybe like a full on sports locker designed for like Football, lacrosse, or hockey gear would hold a decent amount of paintball gear.. But I imagine those are quite pricey to buy for a paintball field.
__________________
"Originally posted by EastCoastAngel: He came up under gen bolder....I thought it was a ****ty chick....turns out I was half right....he status updates like a drunk whore"


Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:00 PM #107
Mr Idiot Box
Rubber Ducky Pump Squad
 
Mr Idiot Box's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NY/NJ/NC
Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Mr Idiot Box owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I use the TSA approved combo locks on my gear bag. They have a special key that the bag check people have so I can lock the gear bag while traveling to events. They work good keep my stuff safe and were cheep. ($10 a piece) I guess someone could walk off with the intire bag buy its likeley someone would see that.
__________________
ENJOY THE GRIND
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM #108
r90t
Doc
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: LA/323
r90t is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
I didn't read all of the threads, but in the pictures in the beginning it looks like the cable does not have a coating on it, which will scratch up you gun. Home Depot/Lowes also sells the cable with a durable coating (like on a bike lock) for a few cents more/foot. I did almost the exact same rig for my surfboard, to lock it on the rack for over 4 years. You see the cable, and it is too much of a pain to try to steal.
__________________
Come check out the monthly pump day in San Diego County.www.thosepumpguyz.com
RIP-PSH
r90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 PM #109
hzuiel
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
I use the TSA approved combo locks on my gear bag. They have a special key that the bag check people have so I can lock the gear bag while traveling to events. They work good keep my stuff safe and were cheep. ($10 a piece) I guess someone could walk off with the intire bag buy its likeley someone would see that.
If you know everybody at the field, and everybody knows you and what your gear looks like, they might, but most people aren't going to say anything if they see someone come up and pick up a bag that they aren't sure who it belongs with and walks away with it. it takes seconds to disappear with a bag, get in a car and leave, wheras an airball match probably lasts 3-5 minutes on average. So you are focused on your match, finish and go to fill up on paint and your bag is gone. I don't have any extra tanks, hoppers or markers so I worry a lot less about somebody stealing my gear bag. When I'm on the field there's nothing but a tool kit with some batteries and allen keys. If they are low enough to steal that, whatever.
hzuiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 06:29 PM #110
Jahdfather
Mini Master
 
Jahdfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lincoln
Jahdfather owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Jahdfather has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Jahdfather has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have master lock mini locks on my eclipse bag, and I always leave my bag in clear view of the staff area. I also put my gear in the shop behind the counter when I can. You can never be to careful. I am lucky the staff all knows my stuff and can see it when I'm not there. While not iron clad security i do feel relatively safe with this system
__________________
Invert Mini Storm Edition
Violent trigger
Seventh element board
Techt Mr.T delrin bolt
Techt spring kit
Empire Relay on/off asa
Dust black double snatch grip
Lubed with violent pb jelly/oil
Jahdfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:00 AM #111
Sh0ckw4v3
sh0ckw4v3
 
Sh0ckw4v3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Sh0ckw4v3 is BST Legit
Sh0ckw4v3 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Sh0ckw4v3 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Thank you for this thread. I'm going out today and going to get my supplies to do this.
__________________
I play for Me, myself, and my thoughts.
_________________________________
EGO 10 --> ROTOR --> 88/45
Hurricane Paintball Park, Palm Bay Florida
Battlefield Orlando (Formally OCP), Bithlo, Florida
Sh0ckw4v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM #112
ewok11
 
 
ewok11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Heflin, Al
ewok11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ewok11 is for the Gunfight
ewok11 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Bring only what you need. If you bring extra hopper, gun, or tank leave in car. Always hold your gun. Problem solved.
ewok11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:34 PM #113
CM Armada
I'm here for the laughs
 
CM Armada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: The Beach
Annual Supporting Member
CM Armada plays in the PSP
CM Armada owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
CM Armada owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
CM Armada plays in the APPA D4 division
CM Armada has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CM Armada has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
This is a great solution, thieves see a lock and cable and walk on. Sent to all my buddies on here!
CM Armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:45 PM #114
SilentBall55
 
 
SilentBall55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Thieves eventually will carry a cable cutter and that will be the end your pretty gun.

I don't leave my gun on the table and walk away. If I do walk away for some reason, I have a friend watch it.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:58 AM #115
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs
 
shankmcgank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
shankmcgank is playing at Living Legends V
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBall55 View Post
Thieves eventually will carry a cable cutter and that will be the end your pretty gun.

I don't leave my gun on the table and walk away. If I do walk away for some reason, I have a friend watch it.


Yes thieves will definitely run around with bolt cutters chopping my cable lock and steal it. And they will do this after they ignore the other 100 other markers at the field that don't have a cable lock. And the people in the pits will surely stand around and watch a stranger walk over to my lock, cut it, take my marker; and they will definitely not say anything.

Also, your friend stares at your marker in the pits and he doesn't take his eye off of it for a second, he never gets distracted getting a drink, loading paint into pods or his hopper, or doing a million other things. He is foolproof security and everyone should be as lucky as you to have such an amazing watchdog of a friend.

I should delete this thread, and you should start one about how to properly train your friends to guard your marker.
__________________
!!! Stop your marker from being stolen for under $20 !!!

! Beginner's Checklist !

Planet Eclipse Etek 3 AM - Cure 3+
Stiffi Shaft Kit
Dye Rotor - Virtue Soft Cycle
Guerrilla Air Carbon Fiber 68/4500
shankmcgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 AM #116
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs
 
shankmcgank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
shankmcgank is playing at Living Legends V
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by r90t View Post
I didn't read all of the threads, but in the pictures in the beginning it looks like the cable does not have a coating on it, which will scratch up you gun. Home Depot/Lowes also sells the cable with a durable coating (like on a bike lock) for a few cents more/foot. I did almost the exact same rig for my surfboard, to lock it on the rack for over 4 years. You see the cable, and it is too much of a pain to try to steal.
If you took 2 seconds to read the instructions before posting, my cable does indeed have a coating on it, and I talked about making sure it does, so that it doesn't scratch anything. I'll never understand why people post in threads they don't bother to read. Care to explain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0ckw4v3 View Post
Thank you for this thread. I'm going out today and going to get my supplies to do this.
Please post pictures when you are finished !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewok11 View Post
Bring only what you need. If you bring extra hopper, gun, or tank leave in car. Always hold your gun. Problem solved.
If you could "always hold your gun" there wouldn't be tables around to lay them on, they wouldn't get stolen, and people could extract their wallet from their pocket, remove money, pay for something, take a piss, and help someone gear up, all with one hand. How I wish I was so amazing with 2 arms, as you are with 1 arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Armada View Post
This is a great solution, thieves see a lock and cable and walk on. Sent to all my buddies on here!
Thanks !
__________________
!!! Stop your marker from being stolen for under $20 !!!

! Beginner's Checklist !

Planet Eclipse Etek 3 AM - Cure 3+
Stiffi Shaft Kit
Dye Rotor - Virtue Soft Cycle
Guerrilla Air Carbon Fiber 68/4500
shankmcgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM #117
SilentBall55
 
 
SilentBall55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankmcgank View Post


Yes thieves will definitely run around with bolt cutters chopping my cable lock and steal it. And they will do this after they ignore the other 100 other markers at the field that don't have a cable lock. And the people in the pits will surely stand around and watch a stranger walk over to my lock, cut it, take my marker; and they will definitely not say anything.

Also, your friend stares at your marker in the pits and he doesn't take his eye off of it for a second, he never gets distracted getting a drink, loading paint into pods or his hopper, or doing a million other things. He is foolproof security and everyone should be as lucky as you to have such an amazing watchdog of a friend.

I should delete this thread, and you should start one about how to properly train your friends to guard your marker.
That cable you are using is a 3/32 general purpose cable that is sold in bulk rolls at Home Depot. A pocket cutter can cut that in seconds. That cable on your marker better be at least 3/8" to 1/2" dia to make it less effective from small cutters.

I have had my locked bicycle stolen when I went into a mall for 5 minutes and there are people all around that saw nothing. The thief cut through my 1/2" cable lock like it was butter.

And, I don't rely on my friends to watch my gun for long periods. I take it with me.

Airsofters do not every leave their pistols or rifles on tables unattended at a field. The pistol stays in the holster and the rifle is carried on the back with a sling.

Maybe you can invent a paintball gun sling so players don't have to leave their guns on the table at all.

Last edited by SilentBall55 : 07-25-2012 at 08:22 AM.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:55 PM #118
NYC DIesel
 
 
NYC DIesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Dude its 1000lb steel cable, you are not cutting through that with a pocket knife, I don't care what the thickness is, sorry. I think this is a great idea, I am debating making my own long like yours or just buying a 2-3 foot one. I don't really have a true gear bag,just a huge camping backpack with all my stuff. Regardless, thanks for the thread and idea!
NYC DIesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:38 PM #119
SilentBall55
 
 
SilentBall55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC DIesel View Post
Dude its 1000lb steel cable, you are not cutting through that with a pocket knife, I don't care what the thickness is, sorry. I think this is a great idea, I am debating making my own long like yours or just buying a 2-3 foot one. I don't really have a true gear bag,just a huge camping backpack with all my stuff. Regardless, thanks for the thread and idea!
Dude, you are correct. It's only 1000lb steel cable and a pocket knife won't cut through it.

I never said pocket knife, I said pocket cutters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUBgP0ZOM8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGsv...feature=fvwrel

Last edited by SilentBall55 : 07-24-2012 at 10:42 PM.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 AM #120
NYC DIesel
 
 
NYC DIesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Damn for some reason I really though you said a pocket knife. TBH I didn't even know they had mini bolt cutters, I always have seen the 3 foot, heavy monster. I wonder why someone would need a mini bolt cutter, kind of like the one in million scenario the OP was talking about.

Regardless, my bad for posting all that bs and misreading your post man.

Last edited by NYC DIesel : 07-25-2012 at 02:24 AM.
NYC DIesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 AM #121
SilentBall55
 
 
SilentBall55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
No need to apologized. I'm cool.

Just letting people know not to be over confident by leaving your expensive stuff around. With a pocket cutter, your nice gun is gone in 5 seconds even with lots of people around.

Last edited by SilentBall55 : 07-25-2012 at 08:08 AM.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:31 AM #122
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs
 
shankmcgank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
shankmcgank is playing at Living Legends V
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBall55 View Post
No need to apologized. I'm cool.

Just letting people know not to be over confident by leaving your expensive stuff around. With a pocket cutter, your nice gun is gone in 5 seconds even with lots of people around.
It very well could be.

However this is about target hardening, as we've said.

I'm yet to see a cable lock at the field ever used, except for mine, so the chances of someone just happening to have a pocket cutter are quite slim. There are also going to be a whole whack of other markers that aren't locked sitting around that are much easier to steal. The idea is to make mine more of a hassle to try and steal than the ones just sitting there ripe for the taking.

Most of the time I carry my marker around with me, however, if I have to use the washroom, or go buy some food or a drink, I lock it up and go do what I need to. I'm only gone a couple of minutes, and we always try and leave someone from our group in our area to keep an eye out. If my marker gets stolen, then it someone wanted it bad enough and it was going to get stolen any ways.

The majority of people I notice at the field put their marker down for some reason or another multiple times. Seeing them do this, and reading the "someone stole my marker at xxxxxxxxxx Field" reports gave me the idea to make the cable lock.

You might be in the 1% of people that carry their marker around with them the entire time and NEVER set it down, not even once. Chances are, you aren't, and the cable lock is for the other 99%, who like me, put their marker down to do stuff.

I like the idea about the sling, that might just be my new do-it-yourself project if I so feel motivated.
__________________
!!! Stop your marker from being stolen for under $20 !!!

! Beginner's Checklist !

Planet Eclipse Etek 3 AM - Cure 3+
Stiffi Shaft Kit
Dye Rotor - Virtue Soft Cycle
Guerrilla Air Carbon Fiber 68/4500
shankmcgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:40 PM #123
SilentBall55
 
 
SilentBall55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: California
Don't be so defensive. I am not flaming you.

Your idea is great especially if you need to put your gun down walk away from it for several minutes. But.... your wimpy 3/32 dia cable lock will create a false security for those that use it. People that start loosing their $1000+ guns will be the ones flaming you.

I had my $200 bicycle with a 1/2" dia hardened cable lock stolen in front of a busy mall. You think a tiny general purpose 3/32" dia cable is going to secure a $1000+ gun?

My suggestion is a thicker hardened cable like 3/8" to 1/2" which pocket cutters can't get through as easily and you got defensive and upset with that. 1/2" will certainly require a large bulky bolt cutter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USag8Y5V3q8


Quote:
Originally Posted by shankmcgank View Post
I'm yet to see a cable lock at the field ever used, except for mine, so the chances of someone just happening to have a pocket cutter are quite slim. There are also going to be a whole whack of other markers that aren't locked sitting around that are much easier to steal. The idea is to make mine more of a hassle to try and steal than the ones just sitting there ripe for the taking.
.
You don't need pocket bolt cutter to cut your 3/32" cable. Any needle nose pliers with a cutter can cut it in 10 seconds. Don't tell me that paintball players do not have needle nose pliers or diagonal cutters in their gear bag.

Here is a video of a diagonal cutter on a 1/2" dia bicycle cable lock. Imagine how fast it can cut your 3/32" cable you are suggesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1x3-HcXC5I

A pocket bolt cutter is little more effective because it can do it in a single snip.

In summary, I don't trust cable locks. Hardened steel U-bolt style locks are my favorite. I have several saw marks on my U-bolt lock from several attempts to steal the bicycle.

Last edited by SilentBall55 : 07-25-2012 at 10:26 PM.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM #124
Christian P
UWL and Scenario
 
Christian P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
I just complain that my marker has an air leak all day and no one steals it.
__________________
Shooting:
Chrome V3 Mini - Custom Rotor - Lurker Barrel - 45/4500 Crossfire
CCI Phantom VSC blue/black anno stock class


I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM #125
Japy
Paragon 2014
 
Japy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Mid Michigan
Annual Supporting Member
Japy is BST Legit
Japy plays in the PSP
Japy is playing at Living Legends VII
Japy has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Japy supports Empire
You can still sell broken guns to people like me with technical skills that can fix them easily.
__________________
"Originally posted by EastCoastAngel: He came up under gen bolder....I thought it was a ****ty chick....turns out I was half right....he status updates like a drunk whore"


Looking for some Gats?
Japy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 PM #126
die.another.day
 
 
die.another.day's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouslysilly View Post
I have recommended these in the past for locking up your marker or bag.

It's retractable and has a combination so you don't have to worry about a key.

This one sells for $17
I use these for locking up my snowboard
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump