Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Ego 8 or new Axe? (not Axe Pro)
EGO 8 30 42.86%
Empire Axe 40 57.14%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2013, 07:28 PM #43
aaaa1236
plop plop plop

aaaa1236 helped look for balloons
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends III
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends V
aaaa1236 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
You must be trolling or can't read one.

The plank/ barb kit from paintball showcase "name brand" is only like $14. When eclipse sends you a free board because you want an update or a new reg because the previous owner marred it then you can say something. It's like buying an ego7 and asking for an ego8 board because you like it better. Not to mention the axe is smoother, quieter and just as efficient as your ego9.

Edit: Just checked and it's $9.99.
I was totally trolling you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
Egos also are loud and kick like mules. If you think reliability is super important then yes, PE is the gun for you.

If you want a gun that actually shoots nice, look elsewhere. I had an 08 Ego and it was consistent over the chrono but its shot was so unpleasant compared to literally every other gun I've owned in nearly 10 years of playing that I sold it after one practice. There are more important factors out there than "can go without being maintained for ages". I take care of my stuff, I'd rather have a gun that needs some tuning but shoots like a dream than a PE gun that I can neglect but will shoot like **** regardless.
You owned "a" ego8. You are completely wrong here btw. They actually shoot pretty freakin well with a decent paint to bore match.
A few guns ive owned that shot worse
G3
Protege
V1 vics (more quiet, same kick)
Geo 1s (again, quieter and realistically a similiar recoil)
09 impulses
Fx
Ive had vices that shot worse (ive had vices that shot better, goes to show theres a variance from gun to gun)
Alien indys
Revi

All these guns ive personally owned and can without a doubt say my last 2 ego8s shot as good if not better than.

They certainly dont "kick" enough to throw off your game...
Youre preference shouldnt be taken as downful for an excellent shooting marker. Maybe you dont like them, but saying they kick like mules ir implying tgat they aee liud enough to hinder your gameplay is totally false.
aaaa1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 PM #44
SKI008
Fear my Join Date

has been a member for 10 years
Given that the vast majority of people in this thread are also saying the Axe is the better option I think you're the one who's letting his bias get in the way of gun recommendations.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:12 PM #45
Stan6543

Stan6543 plays in the PSP
Stan6543 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Stan6543 posts videos on PbNation
Stan6543 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Stan6543 is Legendary
Axe all day
Stan6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:19 PM #46
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaa1236 View Post
I was totally trolling you

You owned "a" ego8. You are completely wrong here btw. They actually shoot pretty freakin well with a decent paint to bore match.
A few guns ive owned that shot worse
G3
Protege
V1 vics (more quiet, same kick)
Geo 1s (again, quieter and realistically a similiar recoil)
09 impulses
Fx
Ive had vices that shot worse (ive had vices that shot better, goes to show theres a variance from gun to gun)
Alien indys
Revi

All these guns ive personally owned and can without a doubt say my last 2 ego8s shot as good if not better than.

They certainly dont "kick" enough to throw off your game...
Youre preference shouldnt be taken as downful for an excellent shooting marker. Maybe you dont like them, but saying they kick like mules ir implying tgat they aee liud enough to hinder your gameplay is totally false.
ha, aha... AHAHAHAHA! You think all those guns shoot worse than an Ego 8?
You are quite silly.

And paint to bore match is actually the worst way to bore your barrel as well. I guess I could see underboring allowing you to lower your HPR pressure, but I doubt it would really make any noticeable difference.

I truly hope you are trolling actually.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 PM #47
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

I've owned most of the guns you listed and I'm thinking that it's either bias or poor maintenance on your behalf. Proteges and vices are the exact same gun internally and with an LP there's no comparison to an ego. (I tried a LP poppet in my ego too along with a zick and some other ups.) Not only are gen 5 timmys smoother and quieter than and ego 8 (or 9 for that matter) they're also more efficient. 09 impulses are amazingly smooth and quiet as well but are a little cantankerous. Vics are in the same boat as the gen 5 timmys in that they're smoother, quieter and more efficient.

As a front/mid player I do find the sound irritating because it's one more thing to yell over. Laning with an ego is far less pleasant than a smoother gun too. When I play snake is when I especially appreciate a smoother gun because the windows of opportunity are so small. Also being quieter may help get more shots off.

Bottom line is that an axe, especially with an upgraded bolt, exceeds the ego OBJECTIVELY in almost every way.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:34 PM #48
aaaa1236
plop plop plop

aaaa1236 helped look for balloons
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends III
aaaa1236 is playing at Living Legends V
aaaa1236 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
Given that the vast majority of people in this thread are also saying the Axe is the better option I think you're the one who's letting his bias get in the way of gun recommendations.
Bias? I have owned an eclipse marker since befor the 11 was released.
Nice try though

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningPlaydoh View Post
ha, aha... AHAHAHAHA! You think all those guns shoot worse than an Ego 8?
You are quite silly.

And paint to bore match is actually the worst way to bore your barrel as well. I guess I could see underboring allowing you to lower your HPR pressure, but I doubt it would really make any noticeable difference.

I truly hope you are trolling actually.
Youre vast knowledge of marker mechanics is amazing...
A paint to bore match IS underboring, or overboring. Matching paint just means making adjustment to achieve desired goals.
The only one i listed that should consistantly shoot smoother is the vice/protege
And btw... Lower hpr makes for the potential for a smoother and quieter shot...
Common sense here
Stop reading about markers and own a few before trying to sound more informed than you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I've owned most of the guns you listed and I'm thinking that it's either bias or poor maintenance on your behalf. Proteges and vices are the exact same gun internally and with an LP there's no comparison to an ego. (I tried a LP poppet in my ego too along with a zick and some other ups.) Not only are gen 5 timmys smoother and quieter than and ego 8 (or 9 for that matter) they're also more efficient. 09 impulses are amazingly smooth and quiet as well but are a little cantankerous. Vics are in the same boat as the gen 5 timmys in that they're smoother, quieter and more efficient.

As a front/mid player I do find the sound irritating because it's one more thing to yell over. Laning with an ego is far less pleasant than a smoother gun too. When I play snake is when I especially appreciate a smoother gun because the windows of opportunity are so small. Also being quieter may help get more shots off.

Bottom line is that an axe, especially with an upgraded bolt, exceeds the ego OBJECTIVELY in almost every way.
You missed another point in youre haste to be "right"
I made a point to show how the same exact marker can shoot differently.

I find it hard to believe someone with any experience woud claim an ego has any less ability to make shots in a limited time. Thats absurd, and i havent found a gun yet that someoe could shoot on an airball field without being noticed. Assuming youre vaguely accurate whoever you were shooting at would be aware of your presence due to be peppered with paint before the sound youre making.

You guys are talking about others being buas, give me a break
And while youre at it... Let me know when i said the ego was a better gun.

Last edited by aaaa1236 : 03-09-2013 at 08:44 PM.
aaaa1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:04 PM #49
blueshifty

There's no "haste to be right" here. If you've saying quieter is not an advantage then you must never play snake. When you come up at a knuckle to make a cross field shot and someone is shooting straight down the line at you it makes a real difference in how long it takes for you to be noticed. Not putting speedball on a perch, because in woods it makes even more difference. Yes, some similar makes of guns shoot slightly different but I've never seen a night and day difference if they were both running correctly. If you like egos fine, but on paper they don't really excel at anything.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 PM #50
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsonne54 View Post
As popular as the Ego 8 is, don't you think that they will continue to make them for a couple more years. It's not that old of a gun and still works great. The 06 from the 07 had a lot of changes making it a way better gun. I think that is part of the reason it is hard to find parts for 05,06. Nobody really wants to use them.
Wasn't the ego5/6 popular too? PE had no issues ending all support for those markers, free or paid. The 7 and 8 are better markers but with their current trend I wouldn't doubt it if PE stopped selling consumable parts for the 7 and 8 in the next year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaa1236 View Post
Bias? I have owned an eclipse marker since befor the 11 was released.
Nice try though

Youre vast knowledge of marker mechanics is amazing...
A paint to bore match IS underboring, or overboring. Matching paint just means making adjustment to achieve desired goals.
The only one i listed that should consistantly shoot smoother is the vice/protege
And btw... Lower hpr makes for the potential for a smoother and quieter shot...
Common sense here
Stop reading about markers and own a few before trying to sound more informed than you are.

You missed another point in youre haste to be "right"
I made a point to show how the same exact marker can shoot differently.

I find it hard to believe someone with any experience woud claim an ego has any less ability to make shots in a limited time. Thats absurd, and i havent found a gun yet that someoe could shoot on an airball field without being noticed. Assuming youre vaguely accurate whoever you were shooting at would be aware of your presence due to be peppered with paint before the sound youre making.

You guys are talking about others being buas, give me a break
And while youre at it... Let me know when i said the ego was a better gun.
The ego line has always been less about shot quality and more about reliability. I have not seen a properly setup ego8 shoot on par with practically anything you listed that's also properly setup. If you get any marker out of whack it won't shoot great but the ego line has always been loud and they've always kicked a bit, especially in the days when they cared about absolute cycle speed as a top feature. Their efficiency is also mediocre for a poppet marker.

I like the ego I currently own. It's an older 05 in good shape. It's a step or two behind the 08. It's reliable and is a marker I have faith will shoot without problems and as such it gets tossed in the gear bag as a just in case marker. It does not shoot as smooth, quiet, or efficient as my protege or Marq, and neither of those have been unreliable in the slightest either. I'd rather take the benefits of the Axe(everything shot related) than the benefits of the Ego8(slightly better reliability). I think you are fooling yourself if you find the ego8 to be a better shooter than the markers you've listed.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 PM #51
holson72

holson72 posts videos on PbNation
holson72 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I currently own 3 Ego 8s and an Axe w/ Eigenbolt. I think there's no argument that the Axe is quieter and smoother (especially with the Eigenbolt). My Axe is also pretty consistent over the chrono...however for reasons I can't explain, I am just not very accurate with the gun. This is with several different barrels.

Anyway...even with the accuracy and smoothness - I still think the Ego 8 is a "better" gun. To me, it feels nicer in the hands and like it's made of a little higher quality. I don't know why, but I always feel like I'm going to break the Axe. Also, I seem to be a better shot with my Ego 8s. I have also never had an issue with any of my Ego 8s. I do regular maintenance on all the markers I own...but I still find that my Ego 8s never go down.

I guess the bottom line is, they are both great guns...and it's really player preference. I don't think you can go wrong with either...but they are completely different guns. For what it's worth, I'd be more likely to sell my Axe than any of my Ego 8s.
holson72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM #52
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Yea having owned both, the axe is obviously quieter and smoother, BUT I like my ego 08 better. Feels better in the hands, more durable in my opinion, easier maintenance and more reliable. It comes down to personal preference though. Either one is a great gun!
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:38 AM #53
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
Yea having owned both, the axe is obviously quieter and smoother, BUT I like my ego 08 better. Feels better in the hands, more durable in my opinion, easier maintenance and more reliable. It comes down to personal preference though. Either one is a great gun!
Nobody can argue against your preferences. Hey, if you like the ego8 by all means shoot it. The problem is when people start making stuff up to justify their preference. As has been said multiple times, early egos were designed for the speed race and not shot quality, but when people start saying those models are smoother than an axe... it's clearly a fabrication.

Heck, I don't like luxes. For me, they just aren't comfortable, but if someone is asking for the smoothest gun on the market it and the clone would be my suggestions. Point being that if your honestly trying to help then at least argue on the true merits of a marker. (Which you do. )
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 AM #54
stephens76

I prefer the axe platform. I have had a few planet eclipse markers. I purchased an ego 11 about 4 months ago. Played with it on two outings and did not like the barrel rise, sound signature, or the shot consistency. I upgraded to the dart bolt system which was quite expensive. It made a noticeable difference but still was not as smooth as my axe. I gave it a hell of a go... Put 5 cases through the ego and ended up selling it 6 weeks later. Perhaps if I had started with an ego I would have an overall different opinion. I think personal preference has a lot to do with it.
stephens76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 AM #55
brianevil09

bottom line Axe sucks. it shoots like a $200 gun. Well tuned Ego 8 is better than a Ego 11 by far. So axe is good for beginners and woodsball about it
brianevil09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 AM #56
stephens76

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianevil09 View Post
bottom line Axe sucks. it shoots like a $200 gun. Well tuned Ego 8 is better than a Ego 11 by far. So axe is good for beginners and woodsball about it
Most people would disagree. Perhaps your preference is not an axe... But to go as far to say the marker sucks? I'm not employed by empire and have income suitable to own any marker I choose. So far I have not owned or shot anything as smooth as the axe. I am open to trying other markers. I did not like the way the egos that I have owned performed, but I still think they are good markers. The only marker I have ever owned that I felt "sucked" is the slg, but that was due to mechanical issues. Making such an opinionated statement about a marker due to preference is really not a fair assessment. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM #57
blueshifty

Quote:
Just leave. The ego8 is not even close to the ego11s level. The Axe shoots on par with most any high end.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM #58
brianevil09

then you are not very intelligent! The Ego 11 design is better but shoots terrible compared to any Ego 8. Axe is not bad as far as smooth but still shoots like a $200 gun period.
brianevil09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 AM #59
blueshifty

Quote:
then you are not very intelligent! The Ego 11 design is better but shoots terrible compared to any Ego 8. Axe is not bad as far as smooth but still shoots like a $200 gun period.
Based on what objective data?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:11 AM #60
stephens76

Just read his other posts. He is overly opinionated and everything other than his preferred markers "suck". Moving on....
Old 03-17-2013, 01:05 PM #61
trevor s (Banned)

trevor s supports DLX Technology
axe
trevor s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:02 AM #62
Alax

Annual Supporting Member
Alax supports DLX Technology
go for a axe because its newer and quiter and ego 8 is not upgraded for today
Alax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:30 AM #63
Burrtango
The Patient

Burrtango plays in the APPA D5 division
Burrtango supports DLX Technology
Burrtango supports Empire
Quote:
I know he's banned, but hahahaha, that's funny.

Seriously though, I haven't had the chance to shoot the 08, but the Axe is such a wonderful platform for the price, it is insane. Out of the box it shot so well and mine has taken a beating over the past year and a half. I work it hard every other weekend and I have never had a single problem with it.

After I upgraded it with a Lurker bolt and got the marker tuned correctly, I was able to consistently run it at 140 PSI with +/- 5 over the chrono all day. I don't feel kick anymore and the marker's sound signature has decreased so significantly it blows my mind. All for $30, well worth it.

The Axe is a wonderful marker. Amazing performance for the price.
Burrtango is offline   Reply With Quote