Old 02-28-2013, 10:07 PM #821
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is a founding member
ridebmx211 plays in the PSP
ridebmx211 supports Pev's Paintball
ridebmx211 plays in the APPA D4 division
ridebmx211 is Legendary
i work on MANY trucks, 6500 and under. mostly 250s/350s. its really not that big and heavy till you get to medium duty ****.

also its easy money since there is so much more room
Save the Environment, PLAY PUMP!
ridebmx211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 PM #822
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D4 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNforcer View Post
I hate dealing with HD and Large trucks. Everything is just 10x more difficult and a pain in the ***. I'd rather work with the small intricate things on the Audi's at work than a behemoth, lol.
Dad was a diesel mechanic for the NY Times for
20 years. Those jobs sucked . He transferred to working on forklifts after which was heaven in comparison .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:37 PM #823
imguessingurgay
4skn

imguessingurgay is a Supporting Member
imguessingurgay is playing at Living Legends III
imguessingurgay owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
imguessingurgay has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit

Rotors were to big to turn on our lathe. Pads from the dealer were $400 for the fronts, so basically $100 each. AND it tied up our alignment rack for 3 hours.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:56 PM #824
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

has been a member for 10 years
You guys were going to machine the rotors?
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:03 PM #825
imguessingurgay
4skn

They wernt even bad to be honest, but the service manager told me to turn em, and they had machining spec's on mitchell, so I figured why not.

I know on my most jags you have to replace, cant turn
Old 03-04-2013, 09:54 PM #826
ridebmx211
RC ARMY

ridebmx211 is a founding member
ridebmx211 plays in the PSP
ridebmx211 supports Pev's Paintball
ridebmx211 plays in the APPA D4 division
ridebmx211 is Legendary
no on-car brake lathe???? those dont look that big even
Save the Environment, PLAY PUMP!
ridebmx211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:08 PM #827
imguessingurgay
4skn

15in rotors....

we have an old *** firestone lathe. our company has tons of money, but that dont really care about our store so much.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM #828
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

TheNforcer plays in the PSP
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
TheNforcer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheNforcer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
NTB is so ghetto, lol. I honestly can't believe that somebody would bring a Land Rover to NTB for a brake job, people are ****ing tards.

I also love the whole cheap *** mindset of turning rotors. Audi strictly prohibits dealers from having lathes, because turning rotors is an ancient practice. Properly matched Pads and Rotors will wear out within a very close time period, negating any usefulness of machining the metal.

/rant
DMeyerspb #98
Planet Eclipse, Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex, DXS, FatBoy Pods, V-Force, Ninja Paintball, SkipsPics.net

XBL GT: TheEnforcer98
Drive German or Go Home, VAG Lover
TheNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM #829
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by imguessingurgay View Post
They wernt even bad to be honest, but the service manager told me to turn em, and they had machining spec's on mitchell, so I figured why not.

I know on my most jags you have to replace, cant turn
Are you sure what you saw wasn't just discard figures?

I don't work for rover, but I honestly can't imagine they develop their rotors, or endorse any type of machining.

That's most higher end vehicles from what I understand. I know for a fact that BMW makes it very clear to us that we not even attempt to machine a rotor for any reason. Our rotors are still stamped with machining specs for discard, but you can't touch them with a lathe.
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM #830
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
Are you sure what you saw wasn't just discard figures?

I don't work for rover, but I honestly can't imagine they develop their rotors, or endorse any type of machining.

That's most higher end vehicles from what I understand. I know for a fact that BMW makes it very clear to us that we not even attempt to machine a rotor for any reason. Our rotors are still stamped with machining specs for discard, but you can't touch them with a lathe.
we don't turn rotors on any of the cars we service. vdub, audi, benz, bmw, porsche, jag, rover and lexus. stick a mic to the rotors and they're junk when the pads are on all of em.

I see now, I see."
M3frontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:24 AM #831
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
Hey guys, my A/C is making a hissing sound when the compressor is on. I can hear it from inside the car anyways. It always hisses now, it doesn't do it just when the compressor goes on. The air is no longer cold.

The autozone near me rents the full A/C pressure gauges. Should I check pressures first?

Last edited by toolbandfan : 03-08-2013 at 02:46 AM.
toolbandfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 PM #832
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

if the compressor kicks on you know you have enough pressure to close the circuit on the low pressure switch, other than that checking pressure is the next step. last one i had "hissing" with the compressor on was a plugged orifice tube due to the dessicant bag in the dryer coming apart.

I see now, I see."
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM #833
Borg-Omen
TCUP

Annual Supporting Member
Borg-Omen is a Supporting Member
you are a dessicant bag
Borg-Omen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 PM #834
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Guess I might as well post again since this place is so lively.

I checked the pressures today, I got 67-69 PSI on the low side, and the high side started out at 150 PSI, but then went down to about 130 PSI and stopped there. It was 86.5* out if this matters much. This was with the car running and the A/C on full blast.

I found a video on youtube from some old mechanic who makes a ton of videos, and there was a part with the low pressure fairly high and the high pressure somewhat low, and he said expansion valve. But I've read elsewhere this is most likely a bad compressor. The compressor engages, I can see the clutch spinning, it clicks when it turns on, and the idle jumps for a second. This seems like the compressor works to me.

It's also a 1999 Plymouth Grand Voyager if this matters. This car has both front and rear evaporator cores, and two expansion valves. The hissing is actually coming from both the front and rear expansion valves when the compressor is on.

Last edited by toolbandfan : 03-14-2013 at 10:25 PM.
toolbandfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:23 AM #835
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

not gonna lie, the first thing i do on every car after i hook up gauges is evac and recharge. you can make an ok guess on the charge of the system using gauges, but i've had many cars show normal or just slightly off pressures like that and have as little as 3oz of refrigerant in the system, which would definitely cause it to not be cold. because the pressures are not equal you know the compressor is sucking and squeezing. make sure it's full, then if it's still acting up you can pull it back down again and using a bowl of ice water and a heat gun or blow dryer you can check the function of the expansion valve.

I see now, I see."
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM #836
toolbandfan
The dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post
not gonna lie, the first thing i do on every car after i hook up gauges is evac and recharge. you can make an ok guess on the charge of the system using gauges, but i've had many cars show normal or just slightly off pressures like that and have as little as 3oz of refrigerant in the system, which would definitely cause it to not be cold. because the pressures are not equal you know the compressor is sucking and squeezing. make sure it's full, then if it's still acting up you can pull it back down again and using a bowl of ice water and a heat gun or blow dryer you can check the function of the expansion valve.

Yeah, shops actually have real equipment, not a small bag of tools and a $50 socket set. I wish I had a tank to evacuate it. I already have a can of refrigerant, I was just hesitant to add any more if it was high already, but it's not obviously. I'll go buy a can tap and try it. Thank you.

But what do you mean by "...pull it back down again and using a bowl of ice water..." So I could point the heat gun at the expansion valve I assume, but what's the ice water for?

Thanks for the free help, I'd definitely take it straight to a shop if I had a real income. Not like the shops in Phoenix are short of air conditioning work.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:04 PM #837
nmp8ntballa
iBYAAH!

i guess this is directed more at dealerships techs, but anyone can chime in. im currently about half way through my program at UTI, looking to get at least a lot attendant job at a dealership here soon. my question is how acceptable are tattoos in a dealership environment? currently all of mine are covered with just a t-shirt, but just for future reference, what is the policy like? of course for an interview I would be wearing a long sleeve, so i doubt that would have an effect on their decision.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM #838
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

My shop foreman has Tattoo's down both of his arms, I work at an Audi dealership.

It mainly depend on each individual dealership and manager. But usually since we are "second fiddle" and they hide us in the dark closet away from customers it isnt an issue, haha.
DMeyerspb #98
Planet Eclipse, Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex, DXS, FatBoy Pods, V-Force, Ninja Paintball, SkipsPics.net

Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 PM #839
M3frontman
www.ranjerzproshop.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
Yeah, shops actually have real equipment, not a small bag of tools and a $50 socket set. I wish I had a tank to evacuate it. I already have a can of refrigerant, I was just hesitant to add any more if it was high already, but it's not obviously. I'll go buy a can tap and try it. Thank you.

But what do you mean by "...pull it back down again and using a bowl of ice water..." So I could point the heat gun at the expansion valve I assume, but what's the ice water for?

Thanks for the free help, I'd definitely take it straight to a shop if I had a real income. Not like the shops in Phoenix are short of air conditioning work.
you can remove the expansion valve and use the heat gun and the ice water to change the temperature of the sensing element and watch it move, just like you would a thermostat because in a sense, that's what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmp8ntballa View Post
i guess this is directed more at dealerships techs, but anyone can chime in. im currently about half way through my program at UTI, looking to get at least a lot attendant job at a dealership here soon. my question is how acceptable are tattoos in a dealership environment? currently all of mine are covered with just a t-shirt, but just for future reference, what is the policy like? of course for an interview I would be wearing a long sleeve, so i doubt that would have an effect on their decision.
one, i'm sorry.

two, before i left the vdub dealer we had 3 or 4 guys with atleast one half sleeve and 2 or 3 with atleast one full sleeve.

I see now, I see."
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 AM #840
TheNforcer
RIP DIO 1942-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3frontman View Post
one, i'm sorry.
Hahahaha. I decided last year I'm not gonna waste my time and money going to Wyo or UTI.
DMeyerspb #98