Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 AM #1
ibanezcorey5

College Paintball Organization

Hi all. I am a sophomore at Young Harris College in North GA. I am trying to appeal to our administration and get a paintball club started. I am seeking any and all advice from other schools that have such an organization and am especially interested in logistics. If you can answer a few questions, I would be very appreciative. Let me know if you can help. I know this is a field owners thread but I figured you guys could be most helpful.

My questions are these: Where do you keep your equipment? (markers, air tanks, filling stations, etc.) Do you have a space on campus or do you keep your personal equipment in your rooms? Etc. etc. Where do you play? Your own space? Local fields? Etc. How much does it cost to be a member of the organization? How do you raise money? Do you have a deal worked out with some distributer to get discounted paint or equipment? Do you use compressed air or CO2? What kind of filling station do you have? Where do you get your respective types of air?

Do you have any advice, contacts, resources, or anything else that you wish to share?

Peace,
Corey
ibanezcorey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:53 AM #2
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Kirko017 plays in the APPA D4 division
You might want to try the College Paintball section and not the Field/Store Owners section considering all of them in there have probably went through the process you are going through right now.

The majority of schools do not have paintball on campus. In fact, the majority of schools do not even allow you to keep your equipment on campus. Most play at their local fields. The cost to be a member varies school to school and is usually setup by the club in the club's constitution that you will probably need to make as you go through the process with club sports at your University. General nonprofit organization fundraising to raise money: candy bars, car washes, collecting donations, etc.

Go talk to club sports at your school, they can give you all the information you need and then talk to you about the process of starting the club up and getting recognized by the school. More funding ideas that other clubs from your school might of done. As well as answer any questions you might have.

Later Dawg,
Kirk

Last edited by Kirko017 : 03-02-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Kirko017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM #3
RIP2010

Once you have your competitive club status, contact the National Speedball (Paintball) League as they are the only ones who have a clear plan to obtain NCAA status. Yes, they are a start-up operation but without the interference of traditionalists, they might even succeed.
RIP2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 PM #4
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcorey5 View Post
Hi all. I am a sophomore at Young Harris College in North GA. I am trying to appeal to our administration and get a paintball club started. I am seeking any and all advice from other schools that have such an organization and am especially interested in logistics.
As mentioned above, you'll get a much wider audience of people with directly relevant experience to you in the college forum here:

http://www.pbnation.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185

I would start by asking what you mean by "appeal to our administration"...?

Virtually every college is going to have a policy in place regarding student organizations. So first step is go to your student activities office (or website, if there is one) and ask / read up on the policies for starting a student organization at your school. If both a general student organization and a sporting organization are options, compare the requirements and funding available for each.

The important part here is that starting a paintball club and/or team is NOT special. Just do the same thing someone would do if they were starting a badminton team or chess club. 90% of the time that will work out just fine. There's hundreds of paintball clubs around the country so this is old news to most university officials nowadays - other people who have come before have done the hard work for you.

10% of the time you might get some paintball-specific questions. The vast majority of these will be related to presence of paintball guns on campus. Your answer is that you will not keep paintball equipment on campus - keep it with a member of the team/club living off campus, or worst case at a field. Some clubs have worked out official or unofficial "don't ask, don't tell" policies, which basically come down to paintball club/team members can keep their equipment on-campus as long as no one ever knows it is there (i.e. you keep it in your gearbag and don't take it out when on campus.)

Quote:
My questions are these: Where do you keep your equipment? (markers, air tanks, filling stations, etc.)
Unless you are running an official on-campus field, your paintball club/team should avoid owning equipment. It's too easy for it to be borrowed and not returned, or replaced, and despite the best intentions of the club, you won't have anyone who feels obligated to maintain it. Your players should own their own equipment - then they'll keep track of and maintain it.

If for some reason you ignore this advice and you DO have your club buy equipment, most universities are going to provide storage space on-campus, likely in a sports activities building, and REQUIRE you to keep your equipment there and check it in and out for use. Why? See above paragraph - the university doesn't want to buy a bunch of stuff then have it disappear (and they've had that problem long before your paintball club showed up.) But again, avoid the issue: Have people buy their own stuff, blow your budget on playing.

Quote:
Where do you play? Your own space? Local fields? Etc.
Most college clubs and teams play at local commercial paintball facilities. Some have worked with their university to establish on-campus paintball facilities. If your club doesn't exist yet, the latter option is a few years off.

Quote:
How much does it cost to be a member of the organization?
Most clubs are free or near free. At Illinois we used to charge $5/year as a token membership fee; if you paid it the chief benefit was you got a spot in the carpool before a non-member.

For teams, dues are going to depend on how often you practice/compete, what portion of practices/competition are paid day-of by participants and what portion is paid by the club/team, arrangements with your practice facility, availability of school funding, and other support. In general, you're looking at $100 to $300/month for a serious team.

Quote:
How do you raise money?
The easiest way is to organize your club as a student organization with access to a pool of university funding that is distributed by vote of a student body, then get your friends elected to that body.

You might have some success getting some sponsor support from a local business, especially if you can get a child of the business owner on the team.

Other than that, get a job. In my (rather extensive) experience, the amount of time your club will spend on fund raisers, you could have just made that money working.

Note, however, that "working" can include opportunities like manning concessions at events (football/basketball games, concerts, etc) at university facilities.

Quote:
Do you have a deal worked out with some distributer to get discounted paint or equipment? Do you use compressed air or CO2? What kind of filling station do you have? Where do you get your respective types of air?
Distributors are not going to sell you paint unless you're operating an on-campus field. Other than that, everyone is playing at a commercial paintball facility.

www.ncpapaintball.com

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:38 PM #5
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIP2010 View Post
Once you have your competitive club status, contact the National Speedball (Paintball) League as they are the only ones who have a clear plan to obtain NCAA status. Yes, they are a start-up operation but without the interference of traditionalists, they might even succeed.
That's cute.

What you meant to say is, "Somebody who hasn't actually done anything yet and who no idea what it takes to obtain NCAA status told some other people who have no idea what it takes to obtain NCAA status that they had a great plan for obtaining NCAA status."

First, very few college paintball teams are organized as competitive sports clubs, for various reasons.

Second, the way to obtain NCAA status is simple: Operate a league that is cash-positive, and the NCAA will seize it. Other than that, in the current budget environment, colleges and universities are not interested in adding (read: paying for) additional sports - especially not sports that help meet a school's title IX requirements.

Remember, the main thing that makes a sport an NCAA sport is availability of scholarships. In order for any school to give out scholarships for paintball, they will have to either take scholarships away from other men's sports, or add an equal number of scholarships for women's sports, or set paintball up to give an equal number of men's and women's scholarships, and then find enough women to play. That's a pretty tough burden to meet no matter how you slice it.

NCAA currently has 3 emerging sports - all women's sports - rugby, equestrian and sand volleyball. Former emerging sports recently added to the NCAA are Rowing, Water Polo, Ice Hockey and Bowling - again, all women's teams.

The NCAA hasn't added a men's sport since (I think) 1971 (Lacrosse) and last co-ed sport to be added was I think Rifle in 1980.

But hey, I'm sure it's just us paintball-traditionalists holding things up.

Incidentally, I'd say at least half of college paintball players are NCAA-ineligible on loss of amateur status alone.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 03-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:37 AM #6
ibanezcorey5

Ha. You could have said, "Most colleges don't have NCAA Paintball."

And with less bashing. But whatevs.
ibanezcorey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 AM #7
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcorey5 View Post
Ha. You could have said, "Most colleges don't have NCAA Paintball."

And with less bashing. But whatevs.
Sure, he could have said that but it would have been inaccurate and less informative.

Also, I don't see any bashing at all in that post, but "whatevs".

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Delmarva Paintball is offline   Reply With Quote