Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:02 AM #1996
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Pro-Tip: Don't use a joystick.

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2013, 10:11 AM #1997
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Might have to give that a shot. Keyboard and mouse for controls, then?

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:06 AM #1998
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Yep. It's basically world of tanks controls with more than one fire button.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM #1999
gamesondemand
NYANNYANNYANNYANNYANNYAN!

gamesondemand helped look for balloons
gamesondemand plays in the APPA D3 division
Yea, joystick integration is not good only because of how the arm aiming reticule works independently of the torso aiming reticule. If you are in a mech with no independent arm travel on the horizontal level then a joystick will be ok, but there are very few mechs like that.

Edit: Reading the derp's posts and arguments over why his build is still statistically better than any you guys have given him is hilarious. What looks good on paper doesn't mean **** when you come face to face with the enemy. Take our advice from our experiences with weapons. You're pretty terribad, just from looking over your builds, and you need all the help you can get.

Last edited by gamesondemand : 03-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:08 PM #2000
General Muffinmann
^ ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamesondemand View Post
statistically better than any you guys have given him is hilarious
never said anything like that you dick

i experiment with small lasers and **** sometimes. all those adjustments are experimentation so ****ing what. you can easily ****ing kill **** with 1 erppc or 4 small lasers. and guess what sometimes a challenge is fun

Last edited by General Muffinmann : 03-04-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM #2001
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
I believe the "many small laser" approach is known as "death by a thousand paper cuts". The Phantom-C OmniMech comes to mind.

The arms thing is exactly the problem I've been having. I'd been working with all torso mounted weapons, but I'll have to give a try running keyboard/mouse. Damn, have to relearn all the controls again.

Flying to events? Check out BHTP to protect your travel and your bags!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:44 PM #2002
gamesondemand

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Muffinmann View Post
statistically small lasers do more damage per ton
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Muffinmann View Post
never said anything like that you dick
Hurr durr. Didn't read the rest of your post cause it's not important.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM #2003
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
I believe the "many small laser" approach is known as "death by a thousand paper cuts". The Phantom-C OmniMech comes to mind.

The arms thing is exactly the problem I've been having. I'd been working with all torso mounted weapons, but I'll have to give a try running keyboard/mouse. Damn, have to relearn all the controls again.
depending on what your in, i try to keep my torso mounted weapons on one fire group, and the arm mounted ones on another. makes it easier to deal with situations where something is just past your torso's range of motion but still withing your arms.

what mechs you tried out so far? the trial ones they have in rotation now arent too bad, just not as optimal as they could be. i.e the K2 having machine guns on it...basically a waste lol.

oh, in case you havent figured out how to change your weapon groups (because they never really mentioned how), use the arrow keys to highlight one, and right ctrl to toggle on/off for that group.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:20 PM #2004
iPaintYou
..needs a better username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
the trial ones they have in rotation now arent too bad, just not as optimal as they could be.
I tried the Atlas today. Wasn't too bad. Could definitely be better though.

On another note, I have about 10M C-Bills saved up so I'm thinking about building my next mech. I love playing with the CTF-4X you guys helped me build and was wondering what else I should build that would play similar to this one. Splat cat maybe? I was also considering doing a Raven build. Thoughts?
TOXIC RAGE #17
G6R. SL-68 II.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM #2005
gamesondemand

Don't bother going with a raven build unless you want to learn a whole new subset of skills that amount to "when enemy team has no ecm press mouse 2 and win" or "when enemy team has ecm jam, press mouse 2 and win" and prepare to get legged. Honestly they were fun when ecm wasn't out, but with ecm they are kinda boring. Plus, trying to gain exp for the variants without ecm is a total *****. I'd say stick with the phract and go with another variant. You can hopefully bring stuff over from your 4x and you won't end up spending as much money. If anything you can try the 3D, 4 large lasers and jumpjets seems to be a pretty nice build. Or 2 erppc and 1 guass is another build I see a lot.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 PM #2006
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

the 3D and 2X phract are pretty fun. 3D and 1X make good laser boats, 3d does it better imo since it has jump jets, its what i run on mine. been trying 4 med lasers and 2x uac5's lately on the 3d, its kinda fun....think i like the quad LL better though, has a little more alpha, better range overall, and still good on heat.

2x i run as a flat out brawler with 3x med lasers, ac20, and 2x srm6's.

hunchback 4sp is really fun, as is the centurion cn9-a.

splat cat is fun, but its not something i enjoy using regularly. everyones pissed at catapults still and its 50/50 chance they single you out first thing...and it requires like an XL300 engine to have the extra weight for more ammo and decent speed lol....which is pricey, but your survivability isnt so bad with an xl in a cat.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:09 PM #2007
gamesondemand

Yea, just try to pick a variant that has some laser slots so when your ears get blown off you're not totally boned.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:36 PM #2008
iPaintYou

Ok, so I took both of your suggestions and looked into another Cataphract that will be just as quick as the one I'm running now but should be able to do damage a lot quicker. This is what I came up with. How's it look?
TOXIC RAGE #17
G6R. SL-68 II.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM #2009
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

i run a 280 engine and just 4 large lasers in mine. its a 36dmg alpha but never runs out of ammo, good range, good heat, jump jets, and runs 64kmh or 71 with speed tweak.

the 4x is really the only that is forced to be slower since its all ballistics. with a bigger engine you get an extra engine heatsink too. 250+ have the minimum required 10 heat sinks. if you wanted to stick with your loadout id take armor off the legs and put an extra ton of ammo in. nobody bothers to try legging a cataphract since your torso's huge....might want a little more armor on the front of your ct, i think i just have 20 on the rear.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 03-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 PM #2010
iPaintYou

I feel like I'd rather have that extra punch vs the extra speed. That's all preference though. Then again, I'm not sure how I'm going to like a torso mounted AC. I'm going to need to save up some more C-Bills anyways so I have time to think about it I guess.

Other question, when you build a new mech (I've only ever built the one before), do things you bought for one mech become available for other mechs you buy? Like can I take the 245 that I already bought for my 4X and put it in multiple mechs at the same time without having to buy another one? If I can, I could probably build this now.
TOXIC RAGE #17
G6R. SL-68 II.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM #2011
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

you can pull it out of your phract and put it in something else. its 1 item you can swap around freely, it doesnt have to stay in that particular mech. youd just have to put it back in the 4X when you wanted to use it.

like i can pull the XL300 out of my splat cat and put it in my 3D to fit 2 erppc's and a guass. ....for example.

*does not apply to upgrades, they are mech specific.*

std 280 is stock btw..

youd be suprised how much the extra speed can help. mostly in a GTFO situation. keep in mind your barely moving faster than an atlas. and mediums dont like it when your chasing after them alpha striking their rear armor. i can get 4 alpha's before heat is an issue...doesnt take much waiting to get that 5th one in there either. maybe with the range of LL's you wont mind, and i love me some ac20's, ballistics on the 3d just feel awkward to me.

ill prolly be on in about 30 min.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 03-04-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:02 PM #2012
gamesondemand

Yes. Just strip it out of your old mech and let it sit in your inventory. Save the mech layout with no engine, and then go into your new mech and the engine will be in there waiting to be placed into a mech. Saves a ton of money if you are just running the same build for different chassis.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 PM #2013
iPaintYou

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to try a couple of games with 4 large lasers and the bigger engine first and see how that goes. I'll mess around with that tomorrow since I don't have classes. I'm going to be playing in about 15 minutes. Shoot me an invite if you see me on.

Edit: I'm on now. Will probably be playing for awhile now. And I just remembered, it should be Marik Monday or whatever it's called, right?
TOXIC RAGE #17
G6R. SL-68 II.

Last edited by iPaintYou : 03-04-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:15 PM #2014
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

if you can keep the beams on target its pretty effective. i think i run like 17 double heat sinks though.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM #2015
gamesondemand

I ran 19 in mine. Smaller engine, I think I was using my standard 225 from my wang.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM #2016
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3945948
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.
Closed Thread