PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 AM #1
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

Rate the artwork above you thread.

In yet another attempt to breath some life into this sub-forum again I figured we could do a thread where you rate the art work the member before you has posted.

Rules:

-Rate on a scale of 1-10
-Try to write a comment of critique of the work posted, possibly things that you feel could make it better
-Post your art work after rating someone elses
-Any art form is viable, it doesn't only have to be graphic design

Hopefully we can get at least some members back in here because I would really love to see this sub forum get a little more traffic.

Heres my contribution.

Charcoal animal still life.

Media and Materials:

Vine, willow and compressed charcoal
Charcoal pencils
Kneaded, stick and retractable eraser
Heavy Bristol paper
"Originally posted by SmArT-SpOrKs: Jesus Tapdancing christ this thread is a cluster**** on both sides. Its like the civil war, but replace muskets with pool noodles and everyone has a wicked sunburn."

ST PHOTOBUCKET
_-_ST:GDT 10,000 posts and counting

c4designs.org
r_racer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2012, 10:57 AM #2
trevisw513
2 Corinthians 5: 17

trevisw513 plays in the PSP
trevisw513 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
trevisw513 plays in the APPA D4 division
trevisw513 is attending Decay of Nations VI
trevisw513 supports DLX Technology
10, very impressive piece of art my friend!

LIKE us on facebook...Trevis Meseroll Designs
trevisw513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:13 PM #3
Mr. Bishi
Get at ya boiiiiii!

Mr. Bishi plays in the PSP
Mr. Bishi owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Mr. Bishi supports Team VICIOUS
Mr. Bishi plays in the APPA D3 division
Mr. Bishi has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit

All the colors got over saturated for some reason during the uploading process, think of the colors as a deep royal purple and a velvet red

Border Patrol #68
MMPhotography
Mr. Bishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:43 PM #4
htims

htims is a Paintball photographer
8/10

i love it.. im learning illustrator now so i can do jersey and logo designs 2.. know i have more respect for designers because it is more difficult than i expected! great job

htims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:06 PM #5
spangley_special

7/10

I like that you edited the photo quite a bit before doing the polaroid thing and would have rated higher if it wasn't for how often the polaroid thing is done, but it is executed very well.

I went to poland and visited auschwitz a while ago and made this book with my photos. Photography and layout, words were taken from their museum's website.
(you can see all of it on my site http://iamjackfranklin.co.uk/auschwitz.html)
In hindsight there are a few small typographic issues, but overall I am happy.

Insidious Designs - offering logo, jersey and webdesign. PM me for details.

Last edited by spangley_special : 06-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
spangley_special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:38 AM #6
BBp8ntballaLP508
☮♥♫

It appears to be very well done, but I don't think I could give something like that an accurate rating without holding it in my own hands. If I were to judge based on what I see in the pictures, I'd probably give you an 8.5/10. I like your choice of typography and the pictures appear to be well-taken as well. The color scheme works, and I'm sure you were going for a sort of 'washed out' look, but that may make it hard for some to read (mainly just the gray on the cover page; like I said, it's hard to tell for sure without holding the book in my own hands).

Here's a graphic I just made for the third installment of my "Promoting The Purple" mix series. I realize that it's small, but that was an intentional choice.

Last edited by BBp8ntballaLP508 : 06-11-2012 at 06:36 AM.
BBp8ntballaLP508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:15 AM #7
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBp8ntballaLP508 View Post
It appears to be very well done, but I don't think I could give something like that an accurate rating without holding it in my own hands. If I were to judge based on what I see in the pictures, I'd probably give you an 8.5/10. I like your choice of typography and the pictures appear to be well-taken as well. The color scheme works, and I'm sure you were going for a sort of 'washed out' look, but that may make it hard for some to read (mainly just the gray on the cover page; like I said, it's hard to tell for sure without holding the book in my own hands).

Here's a graphic I just made for the third installment of my "Promoting The Purple" mix series. I realize that it's small, but that was an intentional choice.
Its definitely a different and unique concept and only think I notice is that the flares get a little repetitive.

Heres a tattoo sketch i drew for my gf. Done in ebony pencil

"Originally posted by SmArT-SpOrKs: Jesus Tapdancing christ this thread is a cluster**** on both sides. Its like the civil war, but replace muskets with pool noodles and everyone has a wicked sunburn."

ST PHOTOBUCKET

c4designs.org
Old 07-26-2012, 12:34 AM #8
BBp8ntballaLP508
☮♥♫

I think that this thread is a pretty good idea, but this forum is just so dead... Maybe it will still stay on the front page for awhile.

Anyways, you didn't follow your own thread's rules lol (rating 1-10). Not trying to be a dick- just saying

I think that yours is pretty good, considering it will be (or is) a tattoo. I really can't give you any negative criticism, although I think that you may have missed a small detail area- on the top half of the rope. Nice job overall 8.5?

I do these name sketches for friends and family (you've probably seen these around this forum if you've been in off-topic for any length of time lol). This one will be for my mother's birthday on the 7th, next month. She was beginning to get jealous that I had made tons of these, but hadn't for her yet, so I think it will make a great gift.

Last edited by BBp8ntballaLP508 : 07-28-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM #9
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
pretty sweet. wish I could draw. 9/10

Bored, made this. (that's my last name)

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:51 PM #10
tlewakowski

tlewakowski has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tlewakowski has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
nice^ 8/10 I know it has smudges, but I was too lazy to clean them before this :0 Sorry it's reversed, had to use webcame because phone broke. I used pastel pencil.I am 15, did this when I was 14...
tlewakowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 01:35 PM #11
This is Ross
Get Silly.

This is Ross helped look for balloons
This is Ross is an NCPA player
This is Ross is an NCPA National Champion
This is Ross supports Pev's Paintball
I like it a lottttt. 9/10 I can't draw at all, so I highly appreciate people who can. I'm still learning illustrator, just working on some very very basic stuff.
Wasted Clothing
VSB
AriG
This is Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:03 PM #12
tlewakowski

tlewakowski has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tlewakowski has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
thanks!
tlewakowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:30 AM #13
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is Ross View Post
I like it a lottttt. 9/10 I can't draw at all, so I highly appreciate people who can. I'm still learning illustrator, just working on some very very basic stuff.
8/10 awesome work if your still working on learning the basics. As a logo in general however i think it may be a tad bit unclear. Perhaps a subtitle and a little bit more spacing between the letters to clarify what exactly the logo is for.

Heres a logo recreation i just did recently. PITA but the client was happy.

ST PHOTOBUCKET

c4designs.org
Old 08-26-2012, 12:15 AM #14
This is Ross
Get Silly.

That is amazing. ^^ Thanks for the advice, also. I can't even imagine creating something that in depth, and I'm sure you do it on a regular basis. 10/10

Supposed to be a spin off of the superman logo, but obviously with a W for my company. (in sig)

I feel like rating the person that rates me is a little counterproductive and repetitive, haha. So I'll try and not post so frequently.
Wasted Clothing
VSB
AriG
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 PM #15
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is Ross View Post
That is amazing. ^^ Thanks for the advice, also. I can't even imagine creating something that in depth, and I'm sure you do it on a regular basis. 10/10

Supposed to be a spin off of the superman logo, but obviously with a W for my company. (in sig)

I feel like rating the person that rates me is a little counterproductive and repetitive, haha. So I'll try and not post so frequently.
Thanks man, yea it was 14 hours of total recreation time. I work at a Large format print and vehicle wrap shop so everyday people give us a 500X500 pixel image and tell us they want it on the side of a 30ft box truck That logo is getting printed at like 75Ftx75ft and is going on the side of a building.

Recreating logos in vector format is something im very accustomed to lol. As for posting frequently and feeling that its counter productive, your looking at it the wrong way. The whole reason i made this thread was so people can get input on their work regardless of their skill level. Its not repetitive at all. So keep posting stuff up.

Id give the last logo you posted a 6/10 the composition is good and its a good concept but im just not feeling the color and simplicitiy.

Hope you dont mind I borrowed it for a sec to show what i think would make a big difference (Also sorry for the crudness but i live traced it to save time).

What i did was just copy the entire shape, fill it with black and shift it to the back and over a bit for the drop shadow. I added a very subtle gradient to the main shape. For the highlights I did a negative offset path of the main shape, turned it into a compound path, then copied it above, shifted it over and used the pathfinder to subtract the two shapes from themselves to leave me with those yellowish highlights. I did a 50% overlay transparency to make them less bold.

If you dont know much about the pathfinder tool it is a must know in illustrator. Here is a pretty awesome tutorial on how to use it.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials...hfinder-panel/

For my part heres a boat wrap I designed for a radio station in the bahamas.

ST PHOTOBUCKET

c4designs.org
Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 AM #16
This is Ross
Get Silly.

Your work impresses me sooo much, hahah. And I followed what you did to my work up to about half way, then I lost you. I guess I don't know all the terms and all yet. I'll go look into that link pretty thoroughly, though. Thanks for all the advice, and I really respect that you do this for a job, I think that's really cool.
10/10
Some way to simple work I made the other day.
Wasted Clothing
VSB
AriG
Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM #17
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
4/10, not to be a dick or anything. Not sure I get it? It seems really Plain? I don't know lol just something about it that makes me think some 15 year old girl made that to put on her myspace. You posted this back in september and I'm sure you won't see this, but what is that for? What'd you make it in? What did you want to accomplish with it?

Two renders from today.

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM #18
pflfranco
It's Josh

pflfranco is playing at Living Legends VI
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco posts videos on PbNation
pflfranco is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pflfranco is Legendary
pflfranco supports DLX Technology
8/10 go hawks
pflfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:14 PM #19
BBp8ntballaLP508
☮♥♫

...Now you're supposed to post up some of your work. Since you didn't, I'll throw in my latest painting to get the thread moving again.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM #20
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

8.5/10 Love the technique, very different. Would love to see something like that done as a background.

This is my first airbrush on canvas piece.

ST PHOTOBUCKET

c4designs.org
Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM #21
BBp8ntballaLP508
☮♥♫

Looks pretty good for your first time... I wish that the horizon line wasn't so clear-cut. I'm not familiar with airbrushing, so I don't have suggestions in terms of technique, but it may be something to consider. I also think that the tree silhouette looks a bit misshapen. 8/10 considering this was your first airbrush on canvas.

I hate to just have a back and forth between you and I, but I'd love nothing more than to get this thread rolling with regular posts from others as well... Not to mention everything I post can be seen in my thread. Anyways, here's a watercolor diptych I did about a month ago:

Last edited by BBp8ntballaLP508 : 03-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.