PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-23-2013, 04:47 PM #1261
Mr.Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
As a Catholic, I don't see how. As [a man of rational thought and sciences, [i don't see how.
well im pretty sure(correct me if i am mistaken) the theory states that the Universe acts in an outflux and influx pattern, meaning its a sort of heartbeat. It expands rapidly at the speed of light but eventually it will slow to a sudden stop and upon stopping it will be pulled back on its own mass to its original starting point ie the big bang, and once all the matter reaches this starting point it will cause another massive explosion and the cycle continues. I guess what he is trying to say is that god cant create something that has already been created, because all the matter that ever was and ever will be is used over and over in the influx and outflux theory.
Mr.Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 PM #1262
Umami
"That guy"

Umami supports our troops
Drawing philosophical conclusions from science you clearly don't understand (I study physics) is a bad idea.

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 PM #1263
Mr.Robinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Drawing philosophical conclusions from science you clearly don't understand (I study physics) is a bad idea.
True. I really dont know what im talking about

Last edited by Mr.Robinson : 02-23-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Mr.Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM #1264
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Robinson View Post
well im pretty sure(correct me if i am mistaken) the theory states that the Universe acts in an outflux and influx pattern, meaning its a sort of heartbeat. It expands rapidly at the speed of light but eventually it will slow to a sudden stop and upon stopping it will be pulled back on its own mass to its original starting point ie the big bang, and once all the matter reaches this starting point it will cause another massive explosion and the cycle continues. I guess what he is trying to say is that god cant create something that has already been created, because all the matter that ever was and ever will be is used over and over in the influx and outflux theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_universe

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM #1265
automagsrule
LOIC

Ive been meaning to pose this question for a while. I originally considered making this its own thread but decided not to because
1. I dont know if there is enough substance in this discussion to carry a thread
2. The answer can be greatly influenced by one's faith (or lack thereof)

So I figured Id just pose the question within the thread. Anyways enough blathering:

What is everyone's opinion in this thread regarding animal rights, animal liberation and veganism?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 PM #1266
Iamamartianchurch

Gay.

Look, you can respect life without having to be a twat. Pentti Linkola is the most extreme environmentalist I've ever heard of and the guy never came across as a whiny pontificating weasal like so many more vegans, animal rights activists and so on. The dude still consumed animals. For all the wacky beliefs he held, at his head has some thread engagement.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:51 PM #1267
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
So I figured Id just pose the question within the thread. Anyways enough blathering:

What is everyone's opinion in this thread regarding animal rights, animal liberation and veganism?
I guess I haven't given it enough thought to have a real opinion. I would be interested to hear your's though.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM #1268
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Gay.

Look, you can respect life without having to be a twat. Pentti Linkola is the most extreme environmentalist I've ever heard of and the guy never came across as a whiny pontificating weasal like so many more vegans, animal rights activists and so on. The dude still consumed animals. For all the wacky beliefs he held, at his head has some thread engagement.
I'm curious if you have a similar opinion regarding other social justice movements. Also "extreme environmentalist" and "omnivore" are mutually exclusive. a vegan diet is one of the single most effective methods of lowering your environmental impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I guess I haven't given it enough thought to have a real opinion. I would be interested to hear your's though.
I've just begun studying the topic myself and doubt I'm knowledgable enough to get the point across eloquently. Essentially the three pillars are health, environment and ethics. If you really are interested in looking into it, I suggest you look up Peter Singer. He's a pretty popular modern philosopher and has pretty eloquently explained the ethics of veganism in a lot of his writing.

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM #1269
Iamamartianchurch

Automag, Name a bowel and I'll tell you the color of its movement.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM #1270
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

martian is being feisty today
Old 03-03-2013, 10:07 AM #1271
Iamamartianchurch

Beer does that.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:36 PM #1272
Umami
"That guy"

Obviously a result of misunderstanding (which might happen with anything with varying consequences) but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/201...criminals.html

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM #1273
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
The Christian right..

Last edited by spracks21 : 03-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:33 PM #1274
Umami
"That guy"

"The enemy of science is not religion. Religion comes in endless shapes and forms .... The true enemy is the substitution of thought, reflection, and curiosity with dogma."

SOG
Old 03-26-2013, 03:24 PM #1275
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
a vegan diet is one of the single most effective methods of lowering your environmental impact.
What about all those poor defenseless innocent plants that are consumed?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 PM #1276
Umami
"That guy"

Quote:
a vegan diet is one of the single most effective methods of lowering your environmental impact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
What about all those poor defenseless innocent plants that are consumed?
Fine, I'll bite.

His point didn't pertain to defenseless innocent anything. What you quoted was a completely positive statement, a vegan diet causes FAR fewer greenhouse gasses to be released in the process of growing your food.

It's not a normative statement as you are suggesting.

SOG
Old 03-26-2013, 04:24 PM #1277
Iamamartianchurch

Leveling Hiroshima and Nagasaki lowered Japan's environmental footprint
Old 03-27-2013, 05:49 PM #1278
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
The Christian right..
I take offense, good sir.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:52 PM #1279
F1VENOM

Quote:
Quantify it.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 PM #1280
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I take offense, good sir.
You know who I'm referring to.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM #1281
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

PBOldTimer owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
PBOldTimer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Fine, I'll bite.

His point didn't pertain to defenseless innocent anything. What you quoted was a completely positive statement, a vegan diet causes FAR fewer greenhouse gasses to be released in the process of growing your food.

It's not a normative statement as you are suggesting.
I was trying to show that "lowering your enviornmental impact" is not necessarily a good thing. Killing yourself right now also significantly lowers your envionrmental impact.