Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-09-2013, 01:23 PM #1
SilentBall55

First strike fps boost on DAM

If you chrony with regular paint, then during a game transition to first strike, does the velocity go over legal limit?
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2013, 01:35 PM #2
tommikka
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBall55 View Post
If you chrony with regular paint, then during a game transition to first strike, does the velocity go over legal limit?
Yes, if using mixed projectiles test and ensure both are within the limit.
For first strikes to be at the correct velocity the paintballs need to be lower
tommikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:41 PM #3
SilentBall55

First strike are expensive rounds to chrony. Maybe the DAM can have in its software to drop the velocity to compensate for the first strike difference.

This way you will get same velocity for either types. For $1300 I would have expected this little convenience.
SilentBall55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM #4
Eastter
📷📷

Eastter is playing at Living Legends VI
Quote:
First strike are expensive rounds to chrony. Maybe the DAM can have in its software to drop the velocity to compensate for the first strike difference.

This way you will get same velocity for either types. For $1300 I would have expected this little convenience.

I agree 100%. It pretty much cost $10 to chrono.

PM me or check out http://www.phpirates.com

Tampa Bay Area
Eastter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 AM #5
tommikka
Tom

Quote:

How?

Paintballs are launched by the release of air.

The DAM could 'know' a paintball will be next as the pipe is ready for a hopper fed paintball after the next shot is fired. So it could decide to pressurise as 'standard' and if I have turned to mag fed before firing it could decide to pressurise as 'reduced' (But how?). But what if I shoot and no paintball is fed because the hopper is empty and I then rotate for mag feed instead - how is it now supposed to reduce pressure for the lower velocity?

How does it know the efficiency of your paint to barrel mix between your paintballs and your first strikes? And then how much to adjust?

First strikes cost more than paintballs, they always will.
Paintballs were extremely expensive when people started chronographing. It was still necessary to measure FPS

You can simply chronograph on paintballs to a lower velocity then maximum, then fire 1 to 3 first strikes as required by the site to validate the velocity.

To use first strikes to their best you also need to practice with them, you need to learn how they fly and when the drop off happens.

In the UK the DAM costs about 850 ($1343)
First strikes about 8 for 8 ($12.64), 17.50 for 40 ($27.65), 35 for 100 ($55.30)
Paintballs around 30 for 2000 ($47.40)

Compared to ansgear.com that would be
$5.95 for 8, $19.85 for 40, $39.95 for 100

Thats about 40c to 74c each in the US, 55c to $1.58 in the UK
Clearly the more you buy the more you save

If you can't afford to shoot first strikes, then don't
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 AM #6
tommikka
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastter View Post
I agree 100%. It pretty much cost $10 to chrono.
This applies to every single marker firing first strikes, and should only cost that much if you are firing and adjusting. With first strike you have the advantage that you can fire standard paintballs to chrono a lower amount then when you think it will be right switch to FS.
If you get it right then 3 FS shots to proove velocity - 3 shots cost $1.20 to $2.22
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM #7
cab0053

Well, dye does have FSDO and has a switch to compensate for that. I'm sure it would be able to do the opposite for switching to the mag.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of a dump chamber when switching.
cab0053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 AM #8
DJmatt123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0053 View Post
Well, dye does have FSDO and has a switch to compensate for that. I'm sure it would be able to do the opposite for switching to the mag.

I'd be more concerned about the lack of a dump chamber when switching.
Actually the DAM does not have a FSDO setting. The manual does say in the troubleshooting section that one of the switches is for ABS but in the section about the dip switches, it says that switch puts the marker into factory mode. I believe they copied a lot of the rails manual which does have that feature but forgot to change it for the DAM's manual. I wish to hell it did have that feature since I was having a lot of problems with FSDO even with high dwell.
DJmatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 AM #9
TherealInsomniac
Bangarang

TherealInsomniac plays in the PSP
TherealInsomniac is playing at Living Legends VI
TherealInsomniac has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
TherealInsomniac supports Empire
Not that I have the DAM, but If its the same board as any of the matrixes, then yes a dipswitch is ABS... ABS adds 5ms of dwell to the first shot, after resting for 30 seconds (I think)

the only way to really do this would be for the board to be redone. Putting in a first strike mode where the dwell is dropped., the user would need to hit the chromo to set the first strike dwell independent of hopper.
Thats the only way electronics can compensate for velocity.
PANTS/JERSEYS
Packs
Masks
TherealInsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM #10
DJmatt123

Trust me, I was really hoping it was an ABS switch(and if this is still wrong I would love to hear from a Dye tech to correct it), the Dye tech that helped me with my DAM first suggestion was turn on the ABS and I pointed this out to him also. They changed the feature of the dipswitches from the Rail to the DAM and messed up the manual. Here's a couple shots of the manual....

Telling to turn off DS 1 to turn off ABS.

Telling that DS 1 sets the DAM to factory mode.
DJmatt123 is offline   Reply With Quote