Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM #64
RLN

RLN donated to help Peyton Trent
RLN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RLN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RLN has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Problem? No. It's in the news because it's a big scandal.

How long does it take before you can be a full member of the Catholic church traditionally?

Holy **** you're dragging the Affordable Care Act in here? Snoozefest.
Why is it a scandal? If the Catholic Church is so archaic and irrelevant in today's world why make such a big deal that one of it's leaders is "retiring." Now is the sex abuse issue finished? No but at least the Church under Benedict XVI's guidance is facing this problem. He's certainly done more to address this issue than John Paul II has. Is he running from this issue. I doubt it. If he was he should've quit when the scandal hit it's height in Ireland in 2010. Pope Benedict told the German journalist Peter Seewald that "if a pope clearly realizes that he is no longer physically, psychologically, and spiritually capable of handling the duties of office, then he has a right and, under some circumstances, also an obligation to resign." Later that year he said to Seewald:

"When the danger is great one must not run away. For that reason, now is certainly not the time to resign. Precisely at a time like this one must stand fast and endure the difficult situation. That is my view. One can resign at a peaceful moment or when one simply cannot go on. But one must not run away from danger and say that someone else should do it."

Keep in mind that this was at the height of the clerical sex abuse scandal which was late winter and early spring of 2010. So I don’t think the sex scandal is the reason why he is abdicating. The scandal may have played a part in his declining physical health but the media saying that he's just running away or trying to avoid this issue is based more on anti-catholicism feelings rather than fact.

How long does it take to become a member of the Catholic Church traditionally? Depending on the region...a couple days or months. Without getting into too much detail most Catholics baptize their infants which means these infants become members of the Christian family and are now members of the Catholic Church within the first few months of their birth.

I did not bring up the HHS mandate to be discussed. I brought it up to make a point regarding the US Catholic Bishops and my comment that many times the Catholic Church is more reactive to situations rather than proactive. The point I'm trying to make is that if the Catholic Church was more proactive...i.e. properly catechizing it's members and providing ministries and services to deal with various "issues" before they become a big problem such as teen suicides it wouldn't be having to "react" to situations that have grown so large that they are almost impossible to handle.

I promise you....I will not get into the whole HHS debate thing on this thread so relax bro

"The essential characteristic of a great theologian is the humility to remain with the Church, to accept his own and others' weaknesses, because only God is all holy. We, on the other hand, always need forgiveness."
Pope Benedict XVI, General Audience (30 May 2007)
Christ Krew#291Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=383004
RLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 07:27 PM #65
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Because it's a scandal and people are tired of the WBC being on TV. It's something other than taxes, healthcare, guns and Congress.

So communion, confirmation and all that jazz are meaningless? You don't have to go through them to be recognized and marry in a Catholic church?

Won't get into it? You already have.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:29 PM #66
RLN

Quote:
So communion, confirmation and all that jazz are meaningless? You don't have to go through them to be recognized and marry in a Catholic church?

Won't get into it? You already have.
Kinda off the OP topic but since you want to discuss it. Hope it's cool Iamamartianchurch.

Here's a good article from the same website you posted from on this very topic: http://www.catholic.com/documents/ho...ome-a-catholic
If you don't want to read the entire article the first portion is good enough.

Anyways, my point on here wasn't to discuss Catholic rites, rituals, and customs.

I wanted to know why you felt Catholicism was desperate for having procedures in place for people who wanted to become Catholic who were not "cradle" Catholics. I still don't understand why you feel that way.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:41 AM #67
Iamamartianchurch

Knock yourself out bud. I'll respond to you later.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM #68
RLN

Thanks Iamamartianchurch.

I think this article from the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette does a good job at presenting Bendict XVI's pontificate. http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...5705/Historic/
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM #69
$h@key J0nEZ
Southern By The

The moths & atheists are doubly divine & dying” - Jim Morrison
$h@key J0nEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:51 PM #70
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Fivenom lets say the news reports are true and not just speculation about the sexual abuse scandals and corruption of the pope.

What are you trying to say from all of this?

Last edited by Subterfuge : 02-20-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM #71
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
Fivenom lets say the news reports are true and not just speculation about the sexual abuse scandals and corruption of the pope.

What are you trying to say from all of this?
Nothing that hasn't been said before. Just another example of huge archaic institutions doing what's best for themselves instead of doing the right thing. It's sad really, but not surprising. What is surprising is how so many people willingly support this institution despite all of this.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM #72
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

It's hard to find a charity or "non-profit" organization that is not corrupt these days.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 PM #73
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
It's hard to find a charity or "non-profit" organization that is not corrupt these days.
That's debatable but the church is supposed to be on a higher moral standing, yet they're just robbing people and hiding widespread child abuse.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:07 PM #74
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Yeah, I do believe it is a bunch of deep bull**** by typical pharisees. There is no reason for anyone to defend their actions.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 02-21-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM #75
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
That's debatable but the church is supposed to be on a higher moral standing, yet they're just robbing people and hiding widespread child abuse.
Should they be held to a higher moral standard?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:52 PM #76
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
Should they be held to a higher moral standard?
It should come from within, they shouldn't have to be held to any standard.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:53 PM #77
automagsrule
LOIC

Quote:
It should come from within, they shouldn't have to be held to any standard.
isnt the whole point of christianity is that people are imperfect so isnt it logical to assume a christian organization run by people would be subject to these imperfections?

“If it is true that we need a degree of certainty to get by, it is also true that too much of the stuff can be lethal”
-Terry Eagleton
automagsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:57 PM #78
F1VENOM

War is coming?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM #79
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Winter is coming...
Old 03-03-2013, 10:24 PM #80
RLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
Pope's resignation may mean a war is coming. As a Pope, he has to reject any war. That's not a favor to the Neocon. Under the pressure of "being passed away by poor health", he retreats. He doesn't want to be another John Paul II. Or another Chavez.
A Pope or any Catholic is not required to reject "any war." Wars as horrible as they are may sometimes be the only course of action. Now not many wars fit within Catholicism "just war" criteria but certainly not all wars are rejected by the Catholic Church.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM #81
Iamamartianchurch

Well at any rate, this pope may have done more good than is publicly made known.

http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=7089
Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 PM #82
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Well at any rate, this pope may have done more good than is publicly made known.

http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/World.php?id=7089
That certainly is good to see but it's simply not enough.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:08 PM #83
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
That certainly is good to see but it's simply not enough.
I'm sure more will be revealed, all in good time. I was made to understand that the dealings of Benedict were rarely public.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM #84
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'm sure more will be revealed, all in good time. I was made to understand that the dealings of Benedict were rarely public.
I'm sure and isn't that the Vatican way?