PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-22-2013, 05:12 PM #22
BACKLASH81

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillGuy View Post
The Phenom is good but the TM-7 is better. With the difference get a APEX Barrel and blow you mind.
The TM-7 is nice, but I wouldn't say it's better. I've played with both. Sold my TM-7 and still have my Phenom.

Here's the big difference
The positives of the TM-7 is that it is lighter and is essentially a Mini with a clamshell around it. It's nice that it does come with an adjustable stock. Also it does come with a blade style trigger allowing you to walk the trigger out of the box.
Negatives. It has Mini Internals so it may be prone to have solenoid issues (especially in cold weather). Also the clamshell is a complete PITA when it comes time to break the marker down to properly clean it. Also it is an HPA marker only. Not a big deal at most fields, but could be an issue if you play outlaw. Also It's an electro and I see a lot of players run of the field when it start to rain a little because they are scared of frying their boards.

The positives of the Phenom is that it is aluminum construction so the it's very durable. It features electro and pneumatic firing so if your battery dies, you just flip the switch and keep on firing. Also it does feature cyclone feed so you don't have to worry about spending more money on a high end hopper to get a high ROF. It does feature a lot of customization and maintenance is unbelievably simple. You don't need any tools at all to disassemble the marker and i can have it completely taken apart in less than two minutes. Negatives is that it is a heavier marker for sure (again its made from aluminum, not plastic) and tends get larger and heavier as you customize. Tippmann did it right by allowing you to customize it, but you're going to pay high dollar for that customization. Also it only comes with a single trigger, so that's more money you're going to spend.

Ultimately, you have to buy what you like. But these are just my thoughts since I have owned and used both markers.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 PM #23
Oldandsneaky
Still My Pump Badge

Annual Supporting Member
Not often will you get someone's unbiased opinion here. Well said by someone who has actually owned both markers.
Oldandsneaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:37 AM #24
PhillGuy

PhillGuy has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PhillGuy has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKLASH81 View Post
The TM-7 is nice, but I wouldn't say it's better. I've played with both. Sold my TM-7 and still have my Phenom.

Here's the big difference
The positives of the TM-7 is that it is lighter and is essentially a Mini with a clamshell around it. It's nice that it does come with an adjustable stock. Also it does come with a blade style trigger allowing you to walk the trigger out of the box.
Negatives. It has Mini Internals so it may be prone to have solenoid issues (especially in cold weather). Also the clamshell is a complete PITA when it comes time to break the marker down to properly clean it. Also it is an HPA marker only. Not a big deal at most fields, but could be an issue if you play outlaw. Also It's an electro and I see a lot of players run of the field when it start to rain a little because they are scared of frying their boards.

The positives of the Phenom is that it is aluminum construction so the it's very durable. It features electro and pneumatic firing so if your battery dies, you just flip the switch and keep on firing. Also it does feature cyclone feed so you don't have to worry about spending more money on a high end hopper to get a high ROF. It does feature a lot of customization and maintenance is unbelievably simple. You don't need any tools at all to disassemble the marker and i can have it completely taken apart in less than two minutes. Negatives is that it is a heavier marker for sure (again its made from aluminum, not plastic) and tends get larger and heavier as you customize. Tippmann did it right by allowing you to customize it, but you're going to pay high dollar for that customization. Also it only comes with a single trigger, so that's more money you're going to spend.

Ultimately, you have to buy what you like. But these are just my thoughts since I have owned and used both markers.
I Guess I was just referring to on field performance. The Phenom, although I am desperately trying to love it, is just a paint blender. Like the TM-7 with possible solenoid problems, it seem that Phenoms can have a major problem with barrel break and/or chops and these are a lot harder to solve.

Yes, the Phenom is easier to maintain but I submit that for any one serious about the sport these things should be an over all issue when compared to how it plays. Also the TM-7 isn't that hard to maintain.

And of course ultimately it just comes down to weight. The Phenom is a pig, pure and simple.
PhillGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM #25
BACKLASH81

We'll just have to agree to disagree Phillguy. Out of curiosity, how old is your Phenom? I only ask because I know the older ones had harder paddles in the cyclones, which could break brittle paint. Then came squishy paddles to help prevent that from happening. At some point in the last few years Tippmann changed the stock paddles to make them softer, which greatly reduced the problem.

And back to the point of the thread before we hijack it some more, the bottom line is that NO paintball gun is perfect, especially out of the box. Some could be considered better than others, but at the end of the day, you have to find the marker that fits your playing style and skill level. My biggest recommendation would be to ask other players using something you are interested their thoughts before buying anything. Most experienced play, and novices, love talking about their gear and will typically give honest feedback.

Good luck Ivan and let us know what you end up going with.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM #26
stanlo0420

No matter what you play, either speedball or woodsball/senerio, it's all about tact and air efficiency. The GOG G1 (new SP1) has been by far the most reliable, quietest, most air efficient marker I have ever gotten. You can get one brand new for $190 from Doro Sports. They advertise a new SP1 but they will send a G1. (I've have 3 friends do it, sorry Doro hahaha) It comes with and adjustable carbine stock, through some $5 rail covers on it, and add an Apex2 barrel with battle shroud on it for $60 and you have one of the sickest woodball guns ever. I have evolved to tourney play now but I will never forget my G1. Was one sick puppy. Tons of mods you can do with it. Let me know if you go this route and I can suggest some suggest some.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM #27
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlo0420 View Post
No matter what you play, either speedball or woodsball/senerio, it's all about tact and air efficiency. The GOG G1 (new SP1) has been by far the most reliable, quietest, most air efficient marker I have ever gotten. You can get one brand new for $190 from Doro Sports. They advertise a new SP1 but they will send a G1. (I've have 3 friends do it, sorry Doro hahaha) It comes with and adjustable carbine stock, through some $5 rail covers on it, and add an Apex2 barrel with battle shroud on it for $60 and you have one of the sickest woodball guns ever. I have evolved to tourney play now but I will never forget my G1. Was one sick puppy. Tons of mods you can do with it. Let me know if you go this route and I can suggest some suggest some.
This so much.