Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-23-2013, 10:01 PM #1
dom088

Post What makes your marker worth the money?

You know when you get the odd question about "What makes your gun worth $1000?" Or "why is your gun worth much?"
I'm just curious if anyone gets these questions?
dom088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 PM #2
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
It cost more to build the high end guns, first off. Good example of that is comparing the Alien Independence to the Alien Invasion. Indy made in American with nice milling while the Invasion was made else where with much less creative milling. The cost difference between the two is $500+ even.

With the Mac Dev guns specifically, I like that they tend to be better than all the other guns. Running at 100psi, getting great air efficiency and generally pretty reliable if you know your way around a spool valve and how to keep up on it.

- arguably the nicest shot in paintball
- claimed 1700 shots to a fill
- nice board with oled display
- great machining, the GT is supposed to have no external milling passages.
- great barrel
- does not require upgrades out of the box.

and thats not considering the GTI upgrade..

Usually if i need to justify the cost to someone, I will hand them one of my low end guns (G3 for instance) and then hand them my luxe, for example. They tend to side with the luxe but at what cost? We are talking $300 to $1600 (new pricing) It kind of depends on how much you play. If you only shoot 1 case a month, why buy a super expensive gun when paintball is not your main hobby? For me, paintball has taken over my life and I feel that if i shoot one case of paint a week ($50 for paint and entry, i get a great deal) for an entire year, It will cost me $2400. That does not count the weeks that I shoot twice as much paint (tournament), tournament cost, gas cost, etc. Why should I be using a $300 gun? $1400 is nothing when you look at the big picture. Shooting a $1400 clone for two years is easily justifiable. Even if you use it for one season. Its meant for the player who plays ALOT or the player who has that kind of money to just throw at it.

If someone wants a mac dev but they are not a big tournament player.. maybe play twice a month max, i tell them to get a droid or an RX or even a brand new Drone. the cost is less and you still get that nice shooting gun.
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 PM #3
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

Mark S. works for a Paintball manufacturer
Mark S. plays in the APPA D4 division
Firefoxx, I must say...that was a very good post.
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:26 PM #4
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
thanks! Cant wait to get my hands on the new GT with all the new goodies
MacDev Clone GTi
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM #5
Bluedun
Ballin' since 1988

No need to explain

Last edited by Bluedun : 02-25-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Bluedun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM #6
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

ghost271 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
ghost271 posts videos on PbNation
The truth is, is that there is no reason for somebody to buy a 'sh*tty' gun these days. The rate at which high end tourney guns drop in price, somebody can buy an older 'high end' for less than a MilSig Tippmann. I used to hate seeing kids drop $500+ on a tricked out Tippmann when for $250-400 he could have bought an 06,07, or RX cyborg and crushed the competition. Once I stopped playing tournies, I stopped buying new guns. For rec play and scenarios my collection is more than sufficient. For the last two years that i played ball, I used my Droid and Borgs. At no time did i ever feel out gunned by the G6R, or PE latest. As a matter of fact i had players approach me after games asking me what i was shooting and I'd show them my 07 borg that i paid $350 for. The looks on their faces were priceless.
-Ronin Cyborg RX #4,Olive 07 Borg,2xBlk 07 Borg,Digi-Cam Droid
-Max'd 'DM3'
-Mint Tippmann .68 Special, 2xLB Nightmare,Nelspot 007
ghost271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:15 AM #7
Hammar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost271 View Post
The truth is, is that there is no reason for somebody to buy a 'sh*tty' gun these days. The rate at which high end tourney guns drop in price, somebody can buy an older 'high end' for less than a MilSig Tippmann. I used to hate seeing kids drop $500+ on a tricked out Tippmann when for $250-400 he could have bought an 06,07, or RX cyborg and crushed the competition. Once I stopped playing tournies, I stopped buying new guns. For rec play and scenarios my collection is more than sufficient. For the last two years that i played ball, I used my Droid and Borgs. At no time did i ever feel out gunned by the G6R, or PE latest. As a matter of fact i had players approach me after games asking me what i was shooting and I'd show them my 07 borg that i paid $350 for. The looks on their faces were priceless.
I agree completely, I haven't seen a single marker that would truely outgun an 04 Viking or 04 Cyborg. (Put a virtue or tadao in one of those you've got all the modes all the rof settings you need).

Are newer markers, lighter or fancier looking? Sure. Maybe less kick, sure but honestly i've never seen a paintball marker that had kick. I've also never seen a marker since 03 that was heavy... I've never picked up a newer marker and been like "wow, that 04 viking felt like a ton of bricks, but this new marker that's a half pound maybe a pound lighter, if it's made of magical unicorn horn, feels like a feather... now my cardio wont gas after the first 2 minutes, because of this lighter marker"
Old 02-25-2013, 07:47 PM #8
C@mM!

I disgress that they are a marker that is 'perfect' out of the box - the ongoing saga of the grips and trigger are testament to that. However, a new trigger on, and a SLP reg (if your shooting at 13bps anyway) {since the grips are being changed } - makes it possibly the best platform to build upon. The only bug bear I have with the platform (apart from needing a little bit of babying compared to other markers in the maintenance department) is that the front reg on the GT is positioned too far forward for my liking.

Otherwise - the GT is handsdown one of the most efficient, smooth shooting markers on the market with excellent ergo's
C@mM! is offline   Reply With Quote