Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM #274
Blowe72

Insurance requirements

Hello to all. A friend and myself are looking into starting a paintball business. Portable paintballing for birthdays and such. We would have a 100' x 50' netted arena to set up at your house. Fully enclosed arena and doing our own refills. We would supply guns, safety masks and on site ref/ safety advisor. What type of insurance would we need? One requirement would be homeowner signs waiver accepting full responsible for any injuries.
Blowe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 AM #275
robdavy
Field Owner

Interesting thread...

A few things that are just straight up not true and far too generalized, like "X is never a good idea", or "you will not make money for X years"

Just please, if you're reading this, remember, your situation is different from anyone else's, so do not take anything you read here as gospel.

If you're in a city of a million plus people, your situation will be VERY different from those in a smaller rural area.

If you're opening a $1m+ indoor recreation facility that caters to joe-public, with the same kind of standards and facilities as a bowling alley, cinema or indoor karting centre, your situation will be VERY different from someone opening a woodsball field on their own land for a small community of teams to play on.

So look at YOUR situation. Sure, take advice from other people, but none of it is cold hard truth. It's simply things you need to consider.

On the insurance front:
- it's not stupidly expensive, and it's not optional. A $5m liability policy for $8k/year will protect you against almost anything (as if you do get sued, the insurance company will defend you in court and if you/they loose, they'll pay the damages awarded)
- the only way to learn about costs of insurance in your area/country are to call insurance companies/brokers. Do it. Don't listen to kids on the internet about this stuff. My situation is different from yours. Get a quote, it takes no time at all and then you'll know for sure.
- waivers are a took for YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY to use in court. As long as you do exactly what they tell you to do with them (eg, use them all the time), you can stop worrying about the 'validity' of them; not your problem
- a corporation will not protect you from **** if you're an owner/operator as you have a personal hand in everything that happens at your field. If you are a totally hands-off owner (you never work there, didn't design it, etc), then sure, it helps, but very few people are.
- our insurance company has no requirements for netting or anything like that. Yours may be different, but the only people that can tell you that is YOUR insurance company. Again, don't listen to some kids on the internet for such important stuff when there's no way they can know about your specific situation

On the making money front:
- you can.
- your business model (as above with the rec centre vs woodland) and market will dictate how much and when
- but you can also not. Not because paintball is fundamentally un-profitable, but because you ran a poorly run business

On the spending money front:
- it will cost more than you think, but not double
- most costs are easy to anticipate, but getting hard numbers will take a heck of a lot more than just Google'ing stuff. You need to get on the phone with suppliers. You need to fill in dealer applications. You need to meet people, shake their hands, etc. If you don't, you're doing it wrong

Also: Zoning is the devil. In any major city (500,000+), it will **** your **** up and making finding a space hard. Smaller cities are more flexible as Larry said. Also, the US is hurting pretty bad right now so they're desperate for taxation income. Here in the Great White North, life is good, so they will drag their feet on stuff because they don't have to not.
Don't forget though, zoning is just the first of (probably) 4 interactions with the City. Zoning says what areas you can run your business. A development permit allows you to actually do it. A building permit allows you to build or modify stuff. A final inspection checks everything at the end. The terminology will be different in your area, but the concepts are the same.

To the guy a few pages back who said (in his example) you'll only make $200 in sales in the first month (or $1000 in month 3 and 4). Oh. My. God. We made that in our first minute being open. If that really happens, or you think it will, stop. You're not running a business, that's a hobby.

Hope that helps some people. PM with questions if you'd like.
robdavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:52 PM #276
SkrapPs_69

nicely put, ive seen the same thing happen to a field back home. They even had a side business (a nursery) ended up building a yogurt business to support the owners lifestyle.. needless to say the field pretty much died.
SkrapPs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:46 AM #277
ditchdigger dss
dirty sweatshirts

http://tinypic.com/1r53fuwo

9 acres......175,000..........50 to 100 a weekend for open play.....$25 entry.....upstate ny

Proud member of the 518 brigade

www.dirtysweatshirts.webs,com
www.capitalcombatzone.com

Last edited by ditchdigger dss : 11-05-2013 at 06:50 AM. Reason: pic didnt appear
ditchdigger dss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:44 PM #278
877paintball

has been a member for 10 years
Excellent points. Good rules for starting any type business
877paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:23 PM #279
liniege

Has anyone worked with Evan money for startup paintball fields
liniege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 PM #280
setthypoo
CHUBBIES MOB

Annual Supporting Member
setthypoo is playing at Living Legends VII
setthypoo owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
setthypoo posts videos on PbNation
setthypoo plays in the APPA beginner division
setthypoo has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
setthypoo has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
thxs for the advice
Old 04-09-2014, 11:58 PM #281
speedball5901

Woe target you reall yput the kabash on my ideas to start a park. I was hoping to read some positive info, but you just popped my bubble.
speedball5901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 AM #282
speedball5901

I really enjoyed reading your post. If you would go to youtube and type in "Richton Park paintball Video" and let me know what you think. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. My email is marcusexcavating@yahoo.com
speedball5901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:29 PM #283
HerpaDerpa
I'm pretty frisky

HerpaDerpa owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
HerpaDerpa has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
HerpaDerpa has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
this makes sense as to why upkeep on fields isn't always what it should be. money needs to go elsewhere, but sad to see
HerpaDerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:37 PM #284
Kuzoi

whats your take on indoor airsoft? using the same basics for a paintball arena
Kuzoi is offline   Reply With Quote