Community Focus

Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 PM #1
p8ntballfreek790
carpe noctum

p8ntballfreek790 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
p8ntballfreek790 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballfreek790 plays in the APPA D4 division
what's the deal with sideline coaching?

Been out for a while, never really played with coaching before..
why is this even a part of the sport??

We played a torunament recently and had some major good moves on people that would have gotten us a few wins only to be called out by the opposing coaches right away. I guess that's happened to all of us.

Is there any way that sideline coaching actually helps? I think it really takes away from a huge "tactical" aspect away from the sport.

/rant.
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2013, 02:13 PM #2
WillBunkerforFood
Sku Allstars

WillBunkerforFood plays in the PSP
WillBunkerforFood owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
WillBunkerforFood plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballfreek790 View Post
Been out for a while, never really played with coaching before..
why is this even a part of the sport??

We played a torunament recently and had some major good moves on people that would have gotten us a few wins only to be called out by the opposing coaches right away. I guess that's happened to all of us.

Is there any way that sideline coaching actually helps? I think it really takes away from a huge "tactical" aspect away from the sport.

/rant.
Sounds like it sure helped those teams that beat you!

Use it as a tool to your advantage in the future. Learn to listen just for your coach and tune out the other BS from the sideline.

LNIB Orange Sly Profits FS!!!!
WillBunkerforFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 PM #3
p8ntballfreek790
carpe noctum

It definitely did, we didn't have a coach and that was a reason we lost. I'm not denying having one would have helped us.

My question is more: why did coaching ever develop into an aspect of it in the first place?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM #4
GetPumped

yeah I always felt like coaching was cheating in a way. in basketball or boxing it can make sense but in a setting where knowing where opponents are it seems like its cheating.
GetPumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM #5
p8ntballfreek790
carpe noctum

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPumped View Post
yeah I always felt like coaching was cheating in a way. in basketball or boxing it can make sense but in a setting where knowing where opponents are it seems like its cheating.
my point exactly.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:13 PM #6
XKE

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
XKE plays in the PSP
XKE plays in the APPA Semi Pro division
It basically came around because national events want people who are not necessarily involved in tournament paintball to come out and watch events (obviously, helps grow the sport).

Regulating fans who were new to the sport was near impossible. Having a passer by yelling something to a team, not knowing that it was even against the rules could alter the outcome of matches. As a result, to even things up for both teams, the PSP opted to make crowd participation legal. Thus, coaching is born.
XKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:34 PM #7
EmpireEmperor

EmpireEmperor is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
EmpireEmperor is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKE View Post
It basically came around because national events want people who are not necessarily involved in tournament paintball to come out and watch events (obviously, helps grow the sport).

Regulating fans who were new to the sport was near impossible. Having a passer by yelling something to a team, not knowing that it was even against the rules could alter the outcome of matches. As a result, to even things up for both teams, the PSP opted to make crowd participation legal. Thus, coaching is born.
Pretty much. PSP took a similar approach when it came to ramping. Instead of banning it outright like the NPPL tried to do, the PSP made the decision to allow ramping and to regulate it by implementing a rate of fire cap.
EmpireEmperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:25 PM #8
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I agree on both sides. I think coaching is complete BS and unfair. But at the same time there is no way from having a coach who sits in the crowd and does the same thing anyway.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 PM #9
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Here's me take on sideline coaching: I DESPISE it.

There's enough noise on the field alone to make it difficult to communicate with my own teammates as it is -- I don't need someone on the sideline who can't even see the game from the players' perspective yelling at me to do something stupid. (Yes, this has happened. Sometimes it's counter-coaching, but sometimes it's my own "coach" who didn't really know what was going on on the field).

My old teammates and I excelled at communication WITHIN THE BOUNDS OF THE FIELD -- without anybody outside telling us what to do. The first time I played with a sideline coach it definitely hurt us more than it helped. I've also been told a false G-count and went to make a move -- only to earn a crotchfull of paint when I went to hang the flag.

I say leave paintball to the people actually on the damn field playing the game!

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 AM #10
FullMetalJester
NU Coach / Gun Tech

has been a member for 10 years
FullMetalJester plays in the PSP
FullMetalJester is an NCPA player
FullMetalJester plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
The first time I played with a sideline coach it definitely hurt us more than it helped.
you have to practice being coached; it also helps to be able to trust your coach implicitly. You will find the having a regular coach helps far more than a one-off. The coach also needs to know what they are doing. Bad coaching can be worse than no coaching at all. Think of it as another position the team needs to fill with quality personnel.
FullMetalJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM #11
echo34

I don't like coaching at all, and I don't really get the reasoning for allowing it in order to allow the crowd to shout. There's no reason why the crowd can't shout if there aren't coaches, as there would be so much conflicting information that crowd shouts wouldn't be all that reliable. I think coaching should be removed.
echo34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM #12
p8ntballfreek790
carpe noctum

^^^