Community Focus

Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM #22
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is a founding member
big_scott is BST Legit
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Yea, I'm liking the game so far. It's strange that the plasma cutter isn't the go to weapon it was in the other games, though.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM #23
PNTANDREW15
Call Kenny Loggins

PNTANDREW15 is playing at Living Legends V
PNTANDREW15 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PNTANDREW15 supports our troops
PNTANDREW15 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
PNTANDREW15 is Legendary
I still use the plasma cutter (Planet Cracker Tip) on my one handed as my lower weapon tip (as listed above) It is great against Feeders.

See It Podcast
Follow @
iTunes
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
PNTANDREW15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:31 PM #24
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
In the first two games you didn't need any other weapon. It just seems they tuned it so that it's not the end all be all weapon it used to be. I still carry one (I'm in Ch. 10 right now) with the repeater tip, electric damage and the lower that changes orientation but it's more out of nostalgia than it actually being useful. My main weapon is a beefed up Pulse rifle/Line gun combo with stasis rounds.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM #25
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is a Supporting Member
CyberThug is a founding member
CyberThug is reppin' sidebar 4 life
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
Enjoyed the game. Fooled around with some of the other play modes last night. Should be a good challenge when I have the time.
CyberThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:37 AM #26
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Batman View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed the first Dead Space. I thought they did a very excellent job with the environment and the little details that had you often sitting on the edge of your seat in fear or even just anticipation. Like in certain corridors, you might hear something and move, shining your flashlight around and see a necromorph slither along in the ventilation shafts. It wasn't super terrifying, to me, but as far as games go, it was very well done in the horror/survival genre.

Dead Space 2, to me, felt a little behind. I still enjoyed it and play it once in a while because it's a solid single player game, but it doesn't really seem to have that 'Oh My Gawd' factor that the first one had. There are still great ambient sounds and the environment is great, but the first one just felt a little spookier to me.

But from looking at the info for Dead Space 3, I am hoping for something pretty awesome. They are making it slightly less linear, too, so people may have more inclination to wander off the beaten path once in a while to look for things, rather than always following a straight line. And as far as co-op goes, a lot of people knock Resident Evil 5 for not being scary, but honestly I have never felt the RE series was even remotely scary. But I did enjoy the Co-Op in RE5, and find it fun to blast apart zombies with a friend.
The thing about what made Dead Space 1 so damned scary (and gave it the most unique atmosphere and feel) was the triggered events in an environment that induced claustrophobia. When Necros came, you rarely had anywhere to go. You were forced to tough through it. Opening up the environment changes this feel of the game to a generic shooter, which I really disliked about Dead Space 2 and is the reason I won't be buying Dead Space 3. This is all without the story going slightly overboard after DS1 as well.

Another thing that made the original Dead Space so amazing was the incredible sound work used in the game. Once again, having a less-open environment allowed them to really hone in on giving you the experience of being in that world. Hearing echoes of metal banging as Necros rustled through vents, soft roars off in the distance, the great chamber reverberation that came through your suits display when anyone was talking to you... I can't think of any game that exhibited a better use of sound than Dead Space, to be honest.

The environment of the first game was approached and designed perfectly with every single mechanic enhancing that experience. As Dead Space becomes more and more open, this incredibly stylistic feel is lost in the sway of bigger gun fights with less danger present to them. Leave it to EA to turn one of the best games of the decade in to a generic sci-fi shooter

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:57 PM #27
offlimitspballa
Love Christ. Love people.

offlimitspballa is for the Gunfight
offlimitspballa is reppin' sidebar 4 life
offlimitspballa has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
offlimitspballa supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
The thing about what made Dead Space 1 so damned scary (and gave it the most unique atmosphere and feel) was the triggered events in an environment that induced claustrophobia. When Necros came, you rarely had anywhere to go. You were forced to tough through it. Opening up the environment changes this feel of the game to a generic shooter, which I really disliked about Dead Space 2 and is the reason I won't be buying Dead Space 3. This is all without the story going slightly overboard after DS1 as well.

Another thing that made the original Dead Space so amazing was the incredible sound work used in the game. Once again, having a less-open environment allowed them to really hone in on giving you the experience of being in that world. Hearing echoes of metal banging as Necros rustled through vents, soft roars off in the distance, the great chamber reverberation that came through your suits display when anyone was talking to you... I can't think of any game that exhibited a better use of sound than Dead Space, to be honest.

The environment of the first game was approached and designed perfectly with every single mechanic enhancing that experience. As Dead Space becomes more and more open, this incredibly stylistic feel is lost in the sway of bigger gun fights with less danger present to them. Leave it to EA to turn one of the best games of the decade in to a generic sci-fi shooter
I don't think there is a way to say this better. DS1 was awesome, I bought DS2 and it was decent but the mood was ruined. Won't be bothering with this iteration, even though I'd love to see how the story wraps up. That is, if EA doesn't decide to run this into the ground like they do most things.

Small Talk Money Tracking
BMDT:Tell us what you don't like about yourself
WTB Thread | Indy, Rapper, Gear F/S
Alien Army
"We'll Rule the World"
offlimitspballa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:38 PM #28
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Originally Posted by offlimitspballa View Post
even though I'd love to see how the story wraps up.

Trust me, it's better to draw your own conclusion.

I really like Dead Space 2. I thought that placing the necromorphs in an environment like the Sprawl where people actually lived, rather than an industrial mining ship gave it a different feel that I liked. It wasn't as scary or stress inducing as the first, but I would hardly call it a generic shooter.

Dead Space 3, while having some fun gameplay, does almost nothing to set itself apart. The ice world may be different for the series but it feels like someplace I've been in another game before and 90% of it still spent in industrial looking military bases. Not only that, but Isaac's struggle with sanity while having a connection to the markers is almost entirely forgotten other than simply to drive the plot forward occasionally. Instead we get a predictable love triangle, plot holes and an ending that seems really familiar but was done better elsewhere (and people still hated that ending.) Don't even get me started on the generic side missions and constant backtracking in the latter half.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:21 PM #29
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
I am hoping for a couple DLCs for this title. Was mildly upsetting that there was only one for Dead Space 2. Felt they could have gone much further with the story in 2 with a couple DLCs.

Got 47 or 50 achievements in 3, taking a break from it for the moment.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:21 AM #30
Hailstate17

Gonna be pretty great.
Hailstate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 PM #31
PNTANDREW15
Call Kenny Loggins

PNTANDREW15 is playing at Living Legends V
PNTANDREW15 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
PNTANDREW15 supports our troops
PNTANDREW15 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
PNTANDREW15 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberThug View Post
I am hoping for a couple DLCs for this title. Was mildly upsetting that there was only one for Dead Space 2. Felt they could have gone much further with the story in 2 with a couple DLCs.

Got 47 or 50 achievements in 3, taking a break from it for the moment.
I'm trying to get all the secret achievements now. The hardest for me is shooting 70 dubris as you crash land on the planet.

Also, I will be posting several other weapon creations later. I hope people have tried them out and enjoy them.

P.S. the Mass Effect N7 RIG is totally badass!!!!

See It Podcast
Follow @
iTunes
Facebook
Twitter
Youtube
PNTANDREW15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:30 PM #32
Treghc

Not gonna lie, the single player campaign thus far has been better than Dead Space 2's. Lots of the more classic Dead Space gameplay in it. Been enjoying it quite a bit.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM #33
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
Quote:
Not gonna lie, the single player campaign thus far has been better than Dead Space 2's. Lots of the more classic Dead Space gameplay in it. Been enjoying it quite a bit.
A solid addition to the series for sure.

You Xbox?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM #34
Treghc

Xbox? Pfft. PC

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 02-20-2013, 05:40 PM #35
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

Annual Supporting Member
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
Quote:
Xbox? Pfft. PC
One of those people....
Old 02-20-2013, 06:09 PM #36
Treghc

Shooters are always better on PC

I save consoles for platformers, sports, and racing games.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM #37
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

everything is better on pc
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:42 PM #38
Treghc

Not platformers. Or sports games. Or racing games (unless you buy a racing wheel, which I don't care enough to).

Then again, I guess I could just buy an Xbox controller for my PC. But PC's rarely have any platformers to play to begin with.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 02-20-2013, 11:50 PM #39
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

>playing sports games at all
>playing racing games with a joystick controller

ishygddt
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 PM #40
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
I do.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 AM #41
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris View Post
>playing sports games at all
>playing racing games with a joystick controller

ishygddt
Some sports games are fun, especially with friends over. NBA Jam and NFL Blitz were the **** when they were out.

Racing games are better with a joystick than with a keyboard and mouse. I don't want to spend the time and money to buy a wheel, mount it, configure it, move that mount over to where I'm sitting at on the couch, then disassemble it all when I'm done. Just plain stupid. I can achieve the same results with a joystick. I don't need a wheel to "immerse" myself for the same reason I don't need a fake sword to fight skeletons in Diablo or a fake gun to shoot with in BF3.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 02-22-2013, 02:12 PM #42
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Annual Supporting Member
big_scott is BST Legit
Quote:
Some sports games are fun, especially with friends over. NBA Jam and NFL Blitz were the **** when they were out.

Racing games are better with a joystick than with a keyboard and mouse. I don't want to spend the time and money to buy a wheel, mount it, configure it, move that mount over to where I'm sitting at on the couch, then disassemble it all when I'm done. Just plain stupid. I can achieve the same results with a joystick. I don't need a wheel to "immerse" myself for the same reason I don't need a fake sword to fight skeletons in Diablo or a fake gun to shoot with in BF3.
Yea, I bought a wheel for racing games and it was the biggest waste of money ever. Maybe if I had one of those custom racing cockpits with a real racing seat it would be cool, but it's still hard to get real immersed when your "racing seat" is an old recliner. Plus, like you said, all of the hassle in setting **** up for just one game means it mainly lives in the closet.