PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-23-2012, 01:35 PM #1
Umami
Paragon

Umami supports our troops
Free will, the power of choice, blah blah blah.

Found an interesting TED talk, I didn't want to stick it in one of the ST threads for it to be buried and missed by half the people on here.

I think the implications for religious tradition, economics, health, politics whatnot are profound.

Thoughts? Implications on religion? Implications on economics? Implications on things I haven't thought of?

SOG
I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:13 PM #2
Iamamartianchurch

You'd think this sort of Nihilism would make Religion a hell of a lot more appealing. All this seems pretty common sense. I've been saying freedom is a bull**** idea for some time now. I'm glad someone from a field (they're like scientists, dude) you guys will listen to, brought it up.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 AM #3
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Good video. I agree but I can't help but feel helpless, ya know? The problem doesn't have much of a solution from an individual level. In most cases, I don't choose to have options; I am simply presented with them. Anyways, good find. I'll probably come back and put a better commentary when I can.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:47 AM #4
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

Quote:
The secret to happiness is low expectations.
Sig worthy.

Overall, as a marketing graduate, I agree entirely with the video. It touches on a lot of deeper issues that I can't think of anything to say about right now.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 PM #5
cckynv
Cody

cckynv is playing at Living Legends VI
cckynv supports Team VICIOUS
cckynv posts videos on PbNation
cckynv has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I subscribe to the metaphysical school of thought known as Compatibilism.

Many people will make arguments that center around two arguments: free will and physical determinism.

First, to define the two. Free will, obviously, is the notion that we are free to make our own decisions without hindrance from certain constraints. Determinism is the idea that the past and present directly influence and dictate the future, and that free will is dictated by physical constraints.

This being said, there are mainly 2 metaphysical schools of thought that one can subscribe to when it comes to views on free will vs. determinism. I'll try to describe them as best as I can.

Incompatibilism
This is easily the most complex of the two schools, as it is in turn divided into 3 subgroups. Collectively, Incompatibilists are those who define free will as freedom from determinism. They explicitly believe that free will and determinism simply cannot coexist. They are not compatible. The main question for them, then, is whether or not their actions are determined. Thereupon lies the split in Incompatibilism, with the "Hard Incompatibalists" believing that determinism is true and that free will is impossible. On the other hand, the "Metaphysical Libertarians" posit that free will is possible and determinism is false, and instead accept an altered form of Indeterminism. Finally, the "Hard Incompatibilists", who encompass a variety of philosophical positions which center around the crux that free will is truly irrelevant to incompatibilism as a whole.

Compatibilism
This is the school of thought that I subscribe to. Compatibilists maintain that free will can exist with determinism. First, there is a redefinition of the term "free will", such that it can be compatible with determinism. They posit that free will is not relegated to the metaphysical alone, and instead can be impeded by physical entities (courts of law, physical bonds, etc).

MacDev Militia

Last edited by cckynv : 12-13-2012 at 09:56 AM.
cckynv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM #6
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cckynv View Post
I subscribe to the metaphysical school of thought known as Compatibalism.

Many people will make arguments that center around two arguments: free will and physical determinism.

First, to define the two. Free will, obviously, is the notion that we are free to make our own decisions without hindrance from certain constraints. Determinism is the idea that the past and present directly influence and dictate the future, and that free will is dictated by physical constraints.

This being said, there are mainly 2 metaphysical schools of thought that one can subscribe to when it comes to views on free will vs. determinism. I'll try to describe them as best as I can.

Incompatibilism
This is easily the most complex of the two schools, as it is in turn divided into 3 subgroups. Collectively, Incompatibilists are those who define free will as freedom from determinism. They explicitly believe that free will and determinism simply cannot coexist. They are not compatible. The main question for them, then, is whether or not their actions are determined. Thereupon lies the split in Incompatibilism, with the "Hard Incompatibalists" believing that determinism is true and that free will is impossible. On the other hand, the "Metaphysical Libertarians" posit that free will is possible and determinism is false, and instead accept an altered form of Indeterminism. Finally, the "Hard Incompatibilists", who encompass a variety of philosophical positions which center around the crux that free will is truly irrelevant to incompatibilism as a whole.

Compatibilism
This is the school of thought that I subscribe to. Compatibilists maintain that free will can exist with determinism. First, there is a redefinition of the term "free will", such that it can be compatible with determinism. They posit that free will is not relegated to the metaphysical alone, and instead can be impeded by physical entities (courts of law, physical bonds, etc).
I like this guy
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM #7
EgoManiacal
We'll make great pets.

I guess the way I look at it is there's nothing that says your will can't be counted among the physical influences that drive one towards making a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Good video. I agree but I can't help but feel helpless, ya know? The problem doesn't have much of a solution from an individual level. In most cases, I don't choose to have options; I am simply presented with them. Anyways, good find. I'll probably come back and put a better commentary when I can.
I would say from an individual standpoint, the takeaway would be to avoid agonizing over minor choices as they're relatively inane and unimportant in the long run. Pick something and go with your decision.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 PM #8
Iamamartianchurch

If it ends up being true that the universe is like a hologram, then your Will is not influenced by the physical at all.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM #9
p8ntballoc11
rack em'

has been a member for 10 years
thought the video was pretty stupid. he's a ****ty comedian that looks at too many cartoons. maybe i'm just not a ******, but i'm always satisfied with my jeans.

also, people don't get disappointed with their choices, they defend them even if they know deep down that it was a bad choice. people don't want to admit they're wrong.

was hoping this thread would be more about determinism vs free will and was disappointed.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote