Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM #43
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Why else would he resign without another obvious reason?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM #44
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Why else would he resign without another obvious reason?
Why don't we just wait and find out?
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:32 PM #45
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Why don't we just wait and find out?
If you read around you'll see we have found out.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-18-2013, 04:39 PM #46
RLN

RLN donated to help Peyton Trent
RLN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RLN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RLN has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I've read both articles twice and I'm still trying to figure out what is it about these articles that make the Catholic Church seem desperate to you? Sounds like the Catholic Church like other denominations is still evangelizing and has developed different processes for converts from other denominations to the Catholic faith.
Christ Krew#291Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=383004
RLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM #47
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLN View Post
I've read both articles twice and I'm still trying to figure out what is it about these articles that make the Catholic Church seem desperate to you? Sounds like the Catholic Church like other denominations is still evangelizing and has developed different processes for converts from other denominations to the Catholic faith.
He said it better than I could.

Quote:
I don't think they should forsake their principles to retain membership. Otherwise, what good are they? What good is everything they teach? Despite my objections to the faithh, their relative steadfastness is something i respect. I find it hard to respect anything which bends itself to the popular sentiments and beliefs of your common boob.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:41 PM #48
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
If you read around you'll see we have found out.
If what you've given me so far is any indication I doubt it. Look I just want something concrete. I'm sure you're right but I'll believe when I see it.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM #49
F1VENOM

Quote:
If what you've given me so far is any indication I doubt it. Look I just want something concrete. I'm sure you're right but I'll believe when I see it.
Whoa, you're looking for something concrete? Are we still talking about the Catholic Church?
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM #50
RLN

Quote:
He said it better than I could.
Okay?...Please elaborate.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:47 PM #51
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Whoa, you're looking for something concrete? Are we still talking about the Catholic Church?
Couldn't be any less concrete than your reporting these days. Hell I can't even stomach pop science websites like livescience.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM #52
Space Pope

Real informationis for *******s. Incomplete knowledge, gross misinterpritation of the small numbers of available facts, and plain old baseless speculation is the way of the future!
Space Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM #53
F1VENOM

Quote:
How can I elaborate any further? They're desperate for members so they're making it easier to fast track entire congregations.

Quote:
Couldn't be any less concrete than your reporting these days. Hell I can't even stomach pop science websites like livescience.
The Catholic Church isn't going to come out and say he's abdicating because he's complicit in child sex abuse. They've done everything they can to sweep that **** under the rug, why would they reopen old wounds? Read the articles and the insiders are saying that's exactly why he's stepping down. That's the best you're ever going to get out of them.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:51 PM #54
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
You don't find the increasing populism the least bit concerning? Take the "somewhat" "genuine" metaphysics of Thomism vs. Whatever you guys have in your sermons these days as a good example.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM #55
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
How can I elaborate any further? They're desperate for members so they're making it easier to fast track entire congregations.

The Catholic Church isn't going to come out and say he's abdicating because he's complicit in child sex abuse. They've done everything they can to sweep that **** under the rug, why would they reopen old wounds? Read the articles and the insiders are saying that's exactly why he's stepping down. That's the best you're ever going to get out of them.
I understand this. However I'm sticking with my grain of salt position. That is that.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:54 PM #56
F1VENOM

Quote:
I understand this. However I'm sticking with my grain of salt position. That is that.
It's the Catholic Church, that should be your default position towards any news out of the Vatican.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM #57
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
It's the Catholic Church, that should be your default position towards any news out of the Vatican.
Indeed.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 PM #58
RLN

Quote:
The Pope is a reflective man...I am sure he knew that once he announces his intention to "retire" which appears to be something he reflected on for a few years that there will be a firestorm. I'm sure we will continue to see various angles and theories as to why the Benedict XVI had abdicated the Chair of Peter long after a new Pope is elected by the conclave.

It must be hard to believe that a leader can actually resign due to declining health and recognizing that he is not fit to lead. For a Church believed to be on the decline, archaic, and irrelevant in this world...the Catholic Church sure does grab the world's attention....(note...Im make a general comment about what I've been seeing online and in the media)
Old 02-18-2013, 05:11 PM #59
RLN

Quote:
You don't find the increasing populism the least bit concerning? Take the "somewhat" "genuine" metaphysics of Thomism vs. Whatever you guys have in your sermons these days as a good example.
How is it populism? People want to convert to Catholicism. The Catholic church has requirements just like any other religious group out there that must be met in order to convert. It has change those requirements.

Not sure why you bring up Thomism? Those who convert to Catholicism are required to adhere to the tenets of Catholicism. There is no contradiction to the teachings of Aquinas or any other Catholic Doctor or the Catechism of the Catholic Church. People are always leaving another religion or joining a religion for the search of truth. If they believe they've found it in Catholicism than so be it. No contradiction there.

Quote:
Again I don't see it? Fast track? Hardly. They are required to learn the Catholic faith and adhere to it's core tenets. I venture to guess that it'll take about a year before they are formally accepted into the Catholic Church as members. Normally this is done during an Easter Vigil Mass. Even after this formal acceptance into the Church it will be a continued learning process as these new members learn more about the faith they've chosen to accept.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 PM #60
F1VENOM

Quote:
The Pope is a reflective man...I am sure he knew that once he announces his intention to "retire" which appears to be something he reflected on for a few years that there will be a firestorm. I'm sure we will continue to see various angles and theories as to why the Benedict XVI had abdicated the Chair of Peter long after a new Pope is elected by the conclave.

It must be hard to believe that a leader can actually resign due to declining health and recognizing that he is not fit to lead. For a Church believed to be on the decline, archaic, and irrelevant in this world...the Catholic Church sure does grab the world's attention....(note...Im make a general comment about what I've been seeing online and in the media)
So do Twinkies and this hasn't happened since before most countries existed in present form.

Quote:
How is it populism? People want to convert to Catholicism. The Catholic church has requirements just like any other religious group out there that must be met in order to convert. It has change those requirements.

Not sure why you bring up Thomism? Those who convert to Catholicism are required to adhere to the tenets of Catholicism. There is no contradiction to the teachings of Aquinas or any other Catholic Doctor or the Catechism of the Catholic Church. People are always leaving another religion or joining a religion for the search of truth. If they believe they've found it in Catholicism than so be it. No contradiction there.

Again I don't see it? Fast track? Hardly. They are required to learn the Catholic faith and adhere to it's core tenets. I venture to guess that it'll take about a year before they are formally accepted into the Catholic Church as members. Normally this is done during an Easter Vigil Mass. Even after this formal acceptance into the Church it will be a continued learning process as these new members learn more about the faith they've chosen to accept.
A year? That's not a fast track in the Catholic faith or anything.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM #61
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:

It isn't so much that there is a contradiction but that you never get that sort of wisdom. Then, there's these weasals among your flock:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1849173.html

"If they believe they've found it (truth)"

Strange and disappointing words from a Catholic.

Last edited by Iamamartianchurch : 02-18-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 PM #62
RLN

Quote:
So do Twinkies and this hasn't happened since before most countries existed in present form.
A year? That's not a fast track in the Catholic faith or anything.
So the problem is we haven't seen this sort of thing in the papacy for a few centuries yet there's nothing that says it can't happen in canon law.

I'm not sure what you mean by your second comment.

Quote:
It isn't so much that there is a contradiction but that you never get that sort of wisdom. Then, there's these weasals among your flock:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile...n_1849173.html

"If they believe they've found it (truth)"

Strange and disappointing words from a Catholic.
My comment was more to try to stay as objective as possible and I know I've probably failed miserably at it since Catholicism is a part of my identity. Try not to be disappointed.

Yea there are weasals and wolf's amongst the flock. If anything Church history has proven that there will always be a Judas' in the church. It's sad that the Catholic church has been at best reactive to situations instead of proactive to the situations happening in and around her. The clergy sex abuse is what the media reports on but there are others. Suicides amongst teens is one. The US Bishops Conference and their stance against Obamacare in particular the HHS mandate is another example. I mean it's nice to see them finally uniting against something but at the same time you can't help but think "they(bishops) should've seen this coming."

Personally I doubt that a cardinal that the secular media labels as "progressive" will be elected to the papacy on the upcoming conclave. Majority of the cardinals that can elect a pope were appointed by John Paul II and Benedict XVI. Not many remain who were appointed prior to John Paul II are left that can vote. It is likely that those appointed by John Paul II and Bendict XVI share the same theological views as the popes that appointed them.

One thing for sure, whoever is elected to the Papacy, like Benedict XVI will face many challenges that he inherited and did not cause. The new pope will have to pick-up right were Benedict XVI left off and that's not an easy task.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM #63
F1VENOM

Problem? No. It's in the news because it's a big scandal.

How long does it take before you can be a full member of the Catholic church traditionally?

Holy **** you're dragging the Affordable Care Act in here? Snoozefest.