PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 AM #22
Roninwarrior7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuuub View Post
You guys do realize that a lot of things you're recommending him are way out of his budget?
Aside from the marker, he can afford to start off getting a great mask or loader. Or both depending on how much he wants to spend on each.

Point being, he should probably be spending that $150 step by step on quality items. Not an assortment of a few decent parts and rental grade stuff all at once. (If anything my 2 cents put that cash towards actually playing, get your parents on your side as someone else pointed out for the gear.)
Roninwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 09:47 AM #23
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roninwarrior7 View Post
Aside from the marker, he can afford to start off getting a great mask or loader. Or both depending on how much he wants to spend on each.

Point being, he should probably be spending that $150 step by step on quality items. Not an assortment of a few decent parts and rental grade stuff all at once. (If anything my 2 cents put that cash towards actually playing, get your parents on your side as someone else pointed out for the gear.)
Exactly
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:28 PM #24
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
JC001 plays in the APPA D4 division
FYI an agitated hopper on a rental tippman isn't going to do anything but eat up batteries...
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:53 PM #25
bth9461

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry550 View Post
Alright, with this new information...do you even think I would be able to play paintball? All these numbers are way too big for me. My parents of course won't ask permission to use any land so that's out of the picture. The rentals are Tippmann 98's, I just thought you could customize it to be better, but I guess that's out too. I REALLY want to play, but the odds are really against me. I don't want a constant drain on my money every weekend because the paintballs are priced at 13.50 for 500. I asked a few friends if they would be able to play and they were all really enthusiastic about it until I told them they would have to pay for themselves, so I would have about 1 or 2 other people that could pay the 20 for themselves. Even if just I went, my parents aren't very opt on traveling 30 minutes every weekend to play paintball for 4-5 hours. Is there any suggestions? The only thing on my side is that my grandpa used to love collecting markers so he has 3 or 4, but that's still 15 bucks every time, then another 50+ for the paintballs. They only allow field bought paintballs. Is there really any hope for me to be able to play every week? Or will I have to wait until I get more money?
I am taking by this post that renting is costing 20 and you only save 5 bucks if you have your own equipment. The paintball cost for a pay for play field seems fine. Mostly this is going to depend on if Dad gets into it. If it is just you and a couple of buddies dropped off at the field, well I can say your going to play much less than you would like. If Dad gets on board your options and budget might change quite a bit.

Lets assume he does not really get into it, but you want to still play.

PUT YOUR MONEY INTO PLAY TIME............

Just buy a good thermal-mask, no other equipment just yet. Your budget is limited so most of the equipment you can afford is really not much better than the rental. 5 bucks per outing is cheap. Your big issue is going to be paint costs 13.50/500 rnds and the entry fee of 15 bucks. Not the 5 extra for the rental.

You need to play towards your budget. Learn to play on that 500 rnds. Just take a full hooper out each game. Many times you will not use them all. I am hoping you will be playing on a woodsball/with improved bunkers type of field and not Speedball. You will never be able to keep up in a gun battle with a 1/2 case per game type of player. So you need to play smart and learn how to Play the Game.

Look to some friendly well equiped regular players at your field. Watch closely how these guys play. I am guessing some of these guys will befreind you. Learn to play around these guys, let them pound away in the Big Gun Battles, you learn to be effective supporting them. Adding your limited shots effectively and learning to move on the field.

Learn to flank, go for the flag, at 13 you should be able to move well and be a smaller target. Learn to shoot that rental as accurately as possible, other than a higher Rate of Fire, those Hitech Guns really are not that much better. You can learn to be a good player that really does not shoot that much. Learn to be unafraid to move and make a difference in the game at critical moments in the game. Learn to be a Player not just a gun toter. Don't fall for the "I can't compete with that Hitech Shooter". It is a team sport, you don't have to do it all yourself. If both teams have equal tech and experience, then the team that gets the most out of its less equip/exp players has an advantage. Learn to be that ADVANTAGE. (motivate your friends to do the same)

A good mask is worth spending money on. Put the rest of your money into Play time. Conserve on the paint and learn to play. Really watch what is going on during the games, and learn from more experienced players. If you have the funds for more paint then add a belt and a couple of pods to increase your shots per game when needed. But learn to be effective with movement and what shots you have.

Learn to play the game and save money for equipment a little at a time. You should choose play time over equipment for now. I would set aside a little in the piggy bank for that big buy when you understand the game better and have the buget for your own equipment. Only when you know the Game and can afford to play regularly, would I buy the rest of the stuff you need.

Equipment other than a good mask is really not that important to you (and your Dad- unless he is a returning Player). Learning to play is more important.

Watch what is going on during the games, you will learn who the Real Players are. Some guys talk great and have great equipment, but cannot play a lick when it counts. Some of the best players don't have $2k setups.

PS. When the time is right buy a used lightly used Package. Gun,hopper,tank, and maybe even some barrels. These deals can be found if you look for them. For maybe a third of the retail price.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 AM #26
Roninwarrior7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
FYI an agitated hopper on a rental tippman isn't going to do anything but eat up batteries...
He's going to need one regardless when he actually gets some kind of decent marker.
Roninwarrior7 is offline   Reply With Quote