Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 AM #1
Toastfuzz

New member, returning paintballer needs advice!

Hi all,

I'm getting back into paintball. Used to play woodsball all the time in highschool, never went to a real official field or played the tournament-style game... but I'd always had an extreme interest in the scenario games after reading a 6 page writeup in some random mag about the Invasion of Normandy game out in Jim Thorpe PA. Last weekend I gassed up my old markers from back in the day and they still cycle just fine (glad I used to be so OCD about cleaning/lubrication!)

So I want to jump in and put some events on my calendar for the summer, get some of my friends in on it (easy to do with the mid-20's CoD/Halo crowd), and possibly find a group of local Pittsburgh players to start chillin with. I have some questions for you experts, would love any advice you can give:

1. Are the events accessible enough to newcomers that a group of 4 noobies could know enough from reading the event documentation and be able to handle themselves?

2. Is a basic knowledge of using/maintaining a marker and some woodsball enough? Should we try to attend smaller events before taking on a big one (like Invasion of Normandy) or is the on-site orientation sufficient?

3. This seems like a pretty active forum, so probably a dumb question... but is there anywhere online you can recommend for networking with local Pittsburgh scenario players?

4. Some of the small-scale scenario games sound pretty tacky in their descriptions, but I don't want to be dissuaded by a goofy description and 1995 web design... are the small 1 day events still alot of fun to be had? Do alot of people attend?

Thanks in advance for any answers, and sorry if I come off stupid at all... I figured this place would be a good resource to get back into the game.
Toastfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:22 PM #2
bejones1

I would love some info on all that stuff too. I just started playing again too but in the Philly area, near LVP south.
bejones1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:19 PM #3
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Just go out to the field and play it.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM #4
Toastfuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
Just go out to the field and play it.
Thanks for the advice kid.

So no adults on these forums with some reading comprehension are into scenario games?
Toastfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM #5
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastfuzz View Post
Thanks for the advice kid.

So no adults on these forums with some reading comprehension are into scenario games?
Let me elaborate.

Paintball is paintball. Scenarios are just kind of a big recreation game. In terms of Skirmish D-Day, I have played it 4 years in a row. There are first timer kids out there who are 10 or younger, and play the event, and don't have a problem. So you should not have a problem jumping out there your first time and playing it. I mean, you're an adult I'm assuming, nothing to be scared of right? It's just paintball But, I hope you have a lot of money saved up. Skirmish overcharges on their paint, at $100 a case, and you are required to use it, and you will be thrown out if they catch you using non-field paint, or make you dump it all haha. My above comment saying "Just go out to the field and play," was in reference to your questions: "Where can I find other Pittsburgh paintball players?" and "Would noobs like us be able to play Invasion of Normandy our first time?" and "Sorry if I come off as stupid at all..." I have seen several thousand threads like this before where people ask if they can just hop back onto a field after not playing paintball for a while, or with no experience. How do you meet other Pittsburgh paintball players? Best way is to go to a field in Pittsburgh regularly, and you will meet them, and become friends, this sports is just very friendly like that where you can make friends that easily. Invasion of Normandy is essentially a very, very large recreation game. Just a big event for fun. Like I said, little kids play it with rental equipment who have never played before, and don't complain. So as an adult, (or I'm assuming you are one), you should have no problem hopping on for Invasion of Normandy as your first event. So there's the long explanation. I just didn't feel like going into detail like I always seem to have to do with new players or people coming into the game time and time again, where if you just look around on here, or go to a field, all your questions will be answered without having to make a thread like this Not trying to come off as rude, but the information is available to you, all you have to do is look around Any other questions?
Old 02-15-2013, 09:53 AM #6
fishballer06
ShockerRepair.com

Annual Supporting Member
fishballer06 is BST Legit
fishballer06 plays in the PSP
fishballer06 donated to help Peyton Trent
fishballer06 supports our troops
fishballer06 supports DLX Technology
3 River's Paintball has the best woodsball in the Pittsburgh area. The prices are a little high, but the field's offer a lot for the woodsball and scenario player. They even offer multiple scenario event's throughout the year. Check them out
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 AM #7
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
Christian P has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Here is my two cents...

You haven't played in awhile. I'd try someplace lower cost like Urban Assault in McDonald, PA or Crazy Dave's in Volant, PA that have a $25 field cost and allow you to BYOP or buy $40 to $50 paint.

Urban Assault has hyperball and woods ball. Crazy Dave's has more speedball. Both are about $20 to $40 cheaper to play than Three Rivers. You'll get a good croud at both on a Saturday or Sunday for open play. I'd wait till after March 15th when most places have outdoor play. Crazy Dave's has an indoor speedball course. Urban has a wooden buildings inside a steel warehouse. I'd rather play outdoor instead of indoor.

To build you skill for I.O.N, you will need to play both hyperball and woodsball. The largest battlefield at I.O.N. is a hyperball course with switches to flip to gain ground. Tucking yourself into bunkers and learning to lane shoot is important in order to succeed at I.O.N.

I'm near McDonald/Bridgeville area. I try to play twice a month. There are some real good players like Keith Stone 66, Maniac Baller 2, and others on here that have helped me get better at moving, shooting, and play the game for fun.

If your looking for a same on a Saturday in April, PM me. I'll be checking out Steeltown paintball here soon when it opens.

I play at: Urban Assault, McDonald, PA - Steeltown, Etna, PA - Three Rivers Paintball, Freedom, Pa
I don't drink like I used to, but I shoot more kids and have a better time.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:04 PM #8
IronCityKidz
No Longer Plays

IronCityKidz helped look for balloons
IronCityKidz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Three Rivers Paintball Park or Steel Town which will be opening soon. Both have very nice owners and great fields. Check them both out!

Jeans F/S (AE, LRG, LEVI'S)
IronCityKidz is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyRegional Ups