PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM #1
Goalmaster

1st time at a scenario-recommendations

I'm taking a group of guys (between 8-15 people) up to participate in the Stalingrad scenario at Skirmish PA this year. We'll have a mix of rooks and vets, with one or two tourney players in the mix. I've spent a lot of time watching videos, reading about scenarios, etc. (I consulted the scenario FAQ for a lot of information) I think I've got a good idea about the sort of things I should bring to be prepared and such. But I haven't found a ton of information on how scenarios can unfold once they begin. One complaint I've heard of before is about people getting lost in the "fog of war" within some of the larger scenarios. I want to make sure me and my friends don't go in blind so we can all have a good time. Does anyone have any recommendations on what we can do to make sure we have a good experience? Likewise, maybe somebody has a story about a mistake they made their first time out so we can avoid it ourselves?

One topic I'm particularly curious about is how missions are handled within scenarios. It seems like it would be interesting and fun to participate in that sort of thing, but everything I've read so far seems to indicate that the Generals tend to only hand out missions to more elite or established teams. If anyone can provide some more insight into how this can work, I would be grateful for that information as well.

Thanks for helping me out!
Goalmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM #2
SR_Voodoo

SR_Voodoo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
SR_Voodoo owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Each team has someone at thier insertion or Commmand post that will answer questions as to what is going on, or will point oncoming players in the right direction. Become famliar with the map which will be posted in advance before the game, and you will be able to grab a printed copy at the field. Generals might use experienced teams to help lead a mission because they know the lay of the land. My suggestion is to play, ask questions, be very observant, volunteer for missions, and you'll get the hang of it quickly. Any game is what you make of it and by doing what makes your team happy will ensure you have a good time.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM #3
STRIP3S
Stumpf

STRIP3S plays in the PSP
STRIP3S owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
STRIP3S owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
STRIP3S plays in the APPA D4 division
I love scenario games. Mostly, I just go out as a "hired gun" and just gun battle. Other times, I work with some of the established teams that show up and provide support for them.

The first thing to remember is to have fun at these events. Many come out to these events looking to get kills or the most mission points. I try not to overwhelm myself with all the missions. Mainly we all want to get out there and shoot some paint.

At bigger fields, do not be surprised if you get separated from others in your group. It tends to happen. The easiest thing to do is set a point in a dead zone or insertion spot where you guys can all link up at different times during the game.
XFT

GEARBAG SALE - TOO MANY ITEMS TO LIST
STRIP3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:52 PM #4
Goalmaster

Thank you for the advice. Everything so far has been helpful. I'm curious what recommendations others have as well. Me and my guys are getting amped for March 9th!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:53 PM #5
prologix
Now:running with scissors

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Years ago, my first scenario was at Skirmish and was their March scenario game, this is a great place to start. The reality is your bringing an entire team, so you as a group can take missions on your own. Pick someone to be the go between with the command staff and have him point out you have a 8-15 person group to go after objectives. You will always get missions to run when you can bring 8-15 guys to go together. I would not worry about getting your own mission, you guys can take parts, volunteer to run with other teams, pick up as many extras that want to run with you. My first time I was by myself, I just hopped aboard, people seemed glad for the help.
As long as you keep coming back to the main base you will always have something to do, get lost return to base. Restart on the next mission.
You may want some sort of communication to help keep the group together, I am going to Skirmish with my sons and their friends for the February game and we are using our cells with Bluetooth ear pieces (already own those).
Attending: Blazing Saddles @ LVP 5/3/2014
1) Yes I have gold ups, no I do not need them. We could do a deal I suppose. 2) Hey, when we talk price lets talk all inclusive (shipping and paypal fees).
prologix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 PM #6
Goalmaster

Quote:
Years ago, my first scenario was at Skirmish and was their March scenario game, this is a great place to start. The reality is your bringing an entire team, so you as a group can take missions on your own. Pick someone to be the go between with the command staff and have him point out you have a 8-15 person group to go after objectives. You will always get missions to run when you can bring 8-15 guys to go together. I would not worry about getting your own mission, you guys can take parts, volunteer to run with other teams, pick up as many extras that want to run with you. My first time I was by myself, I just hopped aboard, people seemed glad for the help.
As long as you keep coming back to the main base you will always have something to do, get lost return to base. Restart on the next mission.
You may want some sort of communication to help keep the group together, I am going to Skirmish with my sons and their friends for the February game and we are using our cells with Bluetooth ear pieces (already own those).
That's interesting. It was always my understanding that most teams entrusted with a mission would be much larger than that. I guess I also didn't expect the level of cooperation most people are implying.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:31 PM #7
SR_Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalmaster View Post
That's interesting. It was always my understanding that most teams entrusted with a mission would be much larger than that. I guess I also didn't expect the level of cooperation most people are implying.
I've sent groups of one to three out for certain missions. Depends on what the mission is.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM #8
Goalmaster

Quote:
I've sent groups of one to three out for certain missions. Depends on what the mission is.
What types of missions do they run at Stalingrad? Are Generals sending lots of groups out after the same objective as they return to base looking for directions, or do they generally send just one task force that is entrusted to complete it for them?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 AM #9
SR_Voodoo

Quote:
What types of missions do they run at Stalingrad? Are Generals sending lots of groups out after the same objective as they return to base looking for directions, or do they generally send just one task force that is entrusted to complete it for them?
There are multiple missions running at the same time so players are dispersed throughout the field. Some are prop drops, some are flags. Some missions are worth more points than others so they have to decide how much of a force to send where, how much they want back on base defense, so on and so forth.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:12 AM #10
AlphaOmegaAssassin
BAM SUCKA!

Good topic going on here. Stalingrad will be my 7th straight Skirmish game since 2010. I started playing as a walkon as a lone gun, and as I attended more games, and got to know the staff, and teams who play there. I also joined a small scenario team in Maryland, and began bringing them up there with me. Usually in small groups 3-7 guys. The skirmish field of play is HUGE. It is very easy to get lost, and lose teammates as they are eliminated and have to make long walks back to CP when there is no medic. The key to having fun is working with other teams and players you come across. Look for the field commanders with armbands, and keep up to date as to what is the current objctive. Its very easy to follow. Every field there is surrounded by a certain color boundary tape, and that is noted on the map you will be using. So you can ALWAYS figure out where you are by those color codes..remember that. ALSO, there is a points matrix you will be given as well, it will state the Field, the type of objective, and the time the prop/flag will be available at said field. So you can always just check the time, check where you are currently on the map, and then go to the nearest prop drop field. there are usually 2-3 objectives listed every half hour. Try to link up with a player or team who knows the feild well, and you will find things go quite smoothly as far as navigation goes. And yes, as voodoo said, ask questions, and get aquainted with as many of the command staff and teams as you can. Have fun, and hope you enjoy!
Find us on Facebook@: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Al...502452?fref=ts
Visit our website@: www.alphaomegapaintball.weebly.com
AlphaOmegaAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:15 AM #11
Goalmaster

Does Stalingrad use medic roles for players at all, or do they just utilize the designated referees for reinsertion? As for the objectives, I didn't realize that they made that information available to all the players. I thought that only the generals received that information.

Can you explain what the field commanders and their roles are? That might be the first I've heard of them. I'm assuming they're different from the Generals and their XOs.

One other thing. I've heard mention of holding people back on base security. Are attacks on Army CPs common, or are they usually subject to more espionage than actual attacks?

Thanks for the info guys. This is all good stuff! Keep it coming!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:23 AM #12
SR_Voodoo

Quote:
Does Stalingrad use medic roles for players at all, or do they just utilize the designated referees for reinsertion? As for the objectives, I didn't realize that they made that information available to all the players. I thought that only the generals received that information.

Can you explain what the field commanders and their roles are? That might be the first I've heard of them. I'm assuming they're different from the Generals and their XOs.

One other thing. I've heard mention of holding people back on base security. Are attacks on Army CPs common, or are they usually subject to more espionage than actual attacks?

Thanks for the info guys. This is all good stuff! Keep it coming!
Indeed. The information should be coming out soon actually. The field commanders are exactly that. They command in the field. Generals and XO's relay info to them while they are on field and they organize attacks for defenses in the field.

BTW, I am one of the Russian XO's for this game. As far as an attack on the CP, let's put it this way. We were attacked within the first hour of Battle for Berlin in October. Later in the day, the Germans rolled a tank right up to our CP perimeter. It does happen.

As far as the medics go, they are field refs who will punch your medic card and are scattered througout the field.

Last edited by SR_Voodoo : 02-03-2013 at 11:30 AM.
SR_Voodoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM #13
Goalmaster

Quote:
Indeed. The information should be coming out soon actually. The field commanders are exactly that. They command in the field. Generals and XO's relay info to them while they are on field and they organize attacks for defenses in the field.

BTW, I am one of the Russian XO's for this game. As far as an attack on the CP, let's put it this way. We were attacked within the first hour of Battle for Berlin in October. Later in the day, the Germans rolled a tank right up to our CP perimeter. It does happen.
I remember seeing your name on the Skirmish website. Chef Kev actually messaged me the other day inviting me to enlist with the Russians. I didn't expect that sort of personal attention.

How many field commanders does each side have?
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM #14
SR_Voodoo

Quote:
I remember seeing your name on the Skirmish website. Chef Kev actually messaged me the other day inviting me to enlist with the Russians. I didn't expect that sort of personal attention.

How many field commanders does each side have?
Depends on the game. Stali and Berlin usually have less than ION. It also depends on the particular command staff.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM #15
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
In addition to whats already been said, bring large bags of trail mix + a lot of water, preferably a hydropack/camelbak or something you can fit in your podpack. Fill a pod with trailmix + carry water on you, and you can stay out on the field for a good amount of time.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 PM #16
Cromagnum Tankerman
Cromagnum Tank Commander

Tanks

Regarding tank encounters, I may add if you dont have any means such as a launcher to take out a tank. Stay far away from it when it comes near or call for someone that has a launcher. Sometimes multiple grenade hits can take out a tank at this field. We dont have kill boxes on our tanks for the crunchies to shoot at to take us out. You may see 1-3 tanks per side at this game. Unless you like shooting at moving objects like some players do your paintballs cannot take us out. Its a waste of paint to shoot at a tank but field owners want you to shoot more to sell more paint. At Skirmish paint prices you cannot afford to waste paint. Also you cannot come near the tank nor try to enter it to shoot someone inside. If you try that its possible someone could get hurt or someone could get thrown out of the game. If you have never played in a game with tanks I suggest find the tank rules for this game or talk to a field ref. Some tanks have alot of firepower like mine and believe me being attack by one with no support or defense can be scary. If we come at you with only your marker put your hands up so you wont get shot or maybe lit up. Not sure I will be at this game yet.

Treaddz
Team CroMagnum Armor
Cromagnum Tankerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:21 AM #17
Crows on the Wire
Are those real???

Just go and have a good time. It's really that simple.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 PM #18
Goalmaster

Stay away from tanks....Check!

Another thought that comes to mind...

I can carry 500 paintballs on my vest and drop leg platform, in addition to the 200 that my hopper holds. Even so, I know I'll have to re-arm at some point during the scenario. How do most people deal with this? Do they store extra paint in their car, in lockers...designate someone to haul extra in a backpack or something? Going all the way back to one's vehicle seems like it would be very inconvenient and time-consuming, so I'm curious about how most people deal with this.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 AM #19
JoeisanAssassin
JoKeR

JoeisanAssassin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
JoeisanAssassin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
JoeisanAssassin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Stay away from tanks....Check!

Another thought that comes to mind...

I can carry 500 paintballs on my vest and drop leg platform, in addition to the 200 that my hopper holds. Even so, I know I'll have to re-arm at some point during the scenario. How do most people deal with this? Do they store extra paint in their car, in lockers...designate someone to haul extra in a backpack or something? Going all the way back to one's vehicle seems like it would be very inconvenient and time-consuming, so I'm curious about how most people deal with this.
Most put their extra paint in the lockers (bring a lock). Some people carry extra in backpacks, but they tend not to have a vest or a pack. Dont leave it in your car unless you plan on walking a mile back and forth. Try podding up as much paint before the game (what I do) so you can make a quick resupply, maybe grab some food also. I like to maximize my time on the field in order to be effective.
JoeisanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM #20
Goalmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeisanAssassin View Post
Most put their extra paint in the lockers (bring a lock). Some people carry extra in backpacks, but they tend not to have a vest or a pack. Dont leave it in your car unless you plan on walking a mile back and forth. Try podding up as much paint before the game (what I do) so you can make a quick resupply, maybe grab some food also. I like to maximize my time on the field in order to be effective.
How much would you say you're able to fit in a single locker at Skirmish?
Old 02-19-2013, 03:41 PM #21
JoeisanAssassin
JoKeR

JoeisanAssassin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
JoeisanAssassin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
JoeisanAssassin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
How much would you say you're able to fit in a single locker at Skirmish?
They are pretty deep and can hold two cases stacked on top of each other with some room to spare. Im not sure about the actual dimensions but you can fit quite a bit. I usually share one with my brother and sometimes another person if they dont have a lock.
JoeisanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyScenario Ups