PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 PM #22
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
I think the "grinding" was the abs activation for no reason when abs activates it sounds like a grinding noise to me. A bad sensor or computer can cause improper sin waves to be read and thus activating abs when not intended.
If a wheel speed sensor is continually not in line with the others or intermittent it throws a code and deactivates ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
On many vehicles when ABS activates, it sounds like grinding as the valves inside the pump are pulsed.
We've already established that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
Wheel speed sensor false reporting = ABS system sees different wheels moving at different speeds while braking = it engages even when traction is not lost = derpy pedal feel and ABS system noises
If a wheel speed sensor is continually not in line with the other or intermittent it throws a code and deactivates ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrgames_slaya View Post
Dealership can't replicate the problem. Some how I drove it there with the brake grinding everytime I stopped, yet now it magically works fine. They quoted me at about $3000 in other maintenance it needs though.

If it didn't throw a code it's not the ABS. Did you give them the exact conditions or go for a ride-a-long?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2013, 01:19 PM #23
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
If a wheel speed sensor is continually not in line with the others or intermittent it throws a code and deactivates ABS.
I've had 2 cars that say otherwise, it may not continually be off it's when you brake only so no light. Otherwise your ABS would stop working when your braking and only 1 tire is slipping on ice.

I would also go for a last ditch effort to clean the contacts of the sensors maybe some crap has gotten on it
lowbudgethero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:28 PM #24
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
I've had 2 cars that say otherwise, it may not continually be off it's when you brake only so no light. Otherwise your ABS would stop working when your braking and only 1 tire is slipping on ice.

I would also go for a last ditch effort to clean the contacts of the sensors maybe some crap has gotten on it
I'm not talking about a one or two time deal. He's talking about every time he hits the brakes and it would still store the event in the PCM. I'm also reading the FSM for his Jeep.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-14-2013, 01:35 PM #25
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
I'm not talking about a one or two time deal. He's talking about every time he hits the brakes and it would still store the event in the PCM. I'm also reading the FSM for his Jeep.
I'm not either I had an audi and my parent's vue do it everytime you braked. Not sure about event storage in the PCM, but I'm sure the event is assuming he's stopping and thinks he is close to lockup when he isn't. It will eventually turn the ABS light on when it is "out of spec" while driving normally and not braking.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:42 PM #26
F1VENOM

If he took it into the dealership and no codes were stored and cannot replicate it's looking good for a turn the music up recommendation.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM #27
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
If he took it into the dealership and no codes were stored and cannot replicate it's looking good for a turn the music up recommendation.
My audi never lit up that abs light for the 2 years I had it, I removed the fuse and said **** this ****. Blinders on . His ABS light might go on, but it might be a long *** time before it trips a code.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:25 PM #28
Lucidus
T-rex Rawr

Quote:

We've already established that?

If a wheel speed sensor is continually not in line with the other or intermittent it throws a code and deactivates ABS.

If it didn't throw a code it's not the ABS. Did you give them the exact conditions or go for a ride-a-long?
You are 100% incorrect about a code being thrown.

The sensor or system doesn't know it's not operating correctly. It's activating ABS based on what it is seeing between the sensor and reluctor ring. While there is most likely a problem, the vehicle doesn't have any clue, it just thinks there is a loss of traction and it is activating ABS to correct that problem.

ABS doesn't store faults for every time it activates the system. Regardless of how many times it activates.
Lucidus is offline   Reply With Quote