PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM #1
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
Barrel Breaks - FPS related?

Almost a decade ago I bought a Tippmann 98 Custom with a response trigger, gravity hopper and a 14" steel Boomstick. FPS could be set over 300 but I always had it 280-290. Back then I would get the occasional barrel break. I would spray WD-40 in the barrel to lessen or completely stop the breaks. All in all the gun was very playable.

I stopped playing for several years and picked up the game and gun last year. I literally took the gun out of the box after all that time did nothing to and and it preformed exactly as it did before (I did not take it apart, oil it, adjust any settings). I used both a Vlocity and Rotor at this point. FPS was 280-290, maybe it could have gone over 300 but I did not try. Again there would be the occasional barrel break but not in any high frequency. After a couple days of play the valve blew and I replaced it. At this point I could not get the FPS over 140 and over course if quick or auto firing with the response trigger the FPS would go even lower. Now barrel breaks happen constantly.

There does not seem to be a whole lot of info on barrel breaks around. THIS video seems to be what most people point at but multiple loaders are having the same effect for me. My assumption has been low FPS + small bore = too much friction and barrel breaks. So if I buy a barrel with a larger bore size .691+ I would get less breaks. Or at least get a kit with multiple backs or inserts to try and try again.

So is my plan a good one? Is a larger bore size going to help me? Are back/insert options going to help me if I have a barrel break issues? IS MY THOUGHT THAT LOW FPS IS A CAUSE LEGITIMATE?

P.S. - Any ideas on why my FPS is so low after putting a new valve in and how to fix it?

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM #2
nerve2030

I would say the problem is the new valve something is messed up in there. logically it is the only thing that changed from working well to utter crapola that your describing. I would contact tippman and tell them the problem and what year your gun is. The reason I say that is because tippman sometimes makes changes to parts and just starts releasing them no yearly announcement or anything. Maybe one of the original parts is not working well together with the new part. if you describe it to them they might have heard of the issue before and have a quick fix for you.
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3912255
nerve2030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 PM #3
dreadmuppet
Reeks of class

Annual Supporting Member
My local pro shop did try a couple different valves but they all would have been new while the gun was old so I will definitely check with Tippmann on that.

Ion: takes a half hour to do easy maintenance and there is a 50% chance it will leak once reassembled.

NT: requires at least a four year degree in metallurgy, physics, meteorology and dark magic to get it to operate.

eBay FEEDBACK
dreadmuppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:52 AM #4
JL1988

JL1988 plays in the APPA beginner division
Most likely whats occurring is since the FPS is so low, balls are either getting stuck in the barrel or catching up to one another in the barrel and thus causing your breaks. I would work on getting your FPS to normal settings before looking anywhere else.
JL1988 is offline   Reply With Quote