PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 AM #1
contractkiller20
Come to VLN my child

Tips on getting the ASA back on?

I've sat here for hours doing every little thing I can to get the ASA back on my NT10... nothing. I was close, and out of frustration, may have slightly stripped the screw. So now I'm terrified to do anything else. Does any one have any tips or tricks on getting this thing back on? I've never encountered something so difficult.

I've tried holding down the spring thing with a tiny allen key, but it either slips and gets stuck, won't move, or the key is directly in the way of the screw that holds the ASA in place. And that's pretty much all that can be done... I'm at a loss

Help?
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 AM #2
Blusylver

I take mine off every week when i clean my nt and i have never had a issue with it. Did you take anything apart? Maybe you put it back together wrong
Old 02-12-2013, 09:13 AM #3
contractkiller20
Come to VLN my child

I really hope so. How do you get past that tension spring thing that is in the way of the ASA screw?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM #4
contractkiller20
Come to VLN my child

What I do

1.) Put tension thing back in, spring on and rounded top going in first through the bottom
2.) Screw the black cap back on to hold it in place
3.) Slide ASA on
4.) Attempt to hold down tension spring from the top to put ASA screw back in.... Get stuck here every time.

I need to order a new screw kit from Dye, this one is worn out by this point and I don't want to hurt the threads inside.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM #5
Blusylver

There has be something wrong because mine doesn't doesnt get in the way
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM #6
contractkiller20
Come to VLN my child

I think so too, this is ridiculous. I ordered a new airport pin and locking screw, hopefully the new version will rectify the situation. My biggest concern is hurting the thread to the point where I might need to get a new UL frame. I really like the ASA so I don't want to buy any aftermarket ones, CP and what not. We'll see what happens.

I also snagged the multitool so hopefully this way there might be something on there that makes the whole process easier.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:18 AM #7
Orangeman4848
iogha

I have problems with mine, too. No matter how far I screw the tightening screw into the frame it won't put any pressure on the ASA to hold it in place. It slides right off.

There should be another threaded hole in the UL frame just in front of where the normal hole is for the spring/pin assembly. I suggest finding a small allen nut like a set screw that fits those threads and use it to lock down the ASA. It's far simpler than messing with the spring/pin assembly every time.

I have an NT11 not 10, but don't think the frames are any different.
Team Mental Diversion 2012-2013
Orangeman4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 PM #8
speedy2k4
BSH University

Annual Supporting Member
speedy2k4 is a Supporting Member
speedy2k4 is BST Legit
I feel like I always leave the nut in place, and install the spring from the top, then piston from the top. Then while holding the piston down install the adjustment screw. Then slide the asa on and tighten it down.

If you back the screw out all the way and then try to tighten it again it's easy to crossthread since the piston will force the screw up at an angle. It's also possible to force the piston laterally into the frame or deform it so that it does not move freely. And of course lots of people round out the hex hole on the screw as well.

Be careful when assembling it, and you almost never need to take it apart. If you did destroy the threads, just do it the old school way and run a set screw down from inside the frame.
speedy2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote