Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-27-2011, 07:42 PM #1
whats paintball

whats paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
whats paintball supports Team VICIOUS
whats paintball plays in the APPA D5 division
Was i being ridiculous?

I was given a group of about 10 men (about 25-30 in age) at 1 oclock for a reservation that was scheduled for 2. They had 15 more guys coming but they wanted to get started early. Our owner said it was cool and gave them to me incase they got rowdy. The first 10 were awesome, followed the rules, even yelled at each other to put their plugs in and whatnot.

Here's where it gets good...

Another 20 people show up in that group. The 20 were not as well behaved. They started yelling at me telling me how bad of a ref i am. I told them that they all just needed to play fair and there wouldnt be an issue. I was called every name in the book at this point including some that were highly offensive to me. I maintained my composure and did my job professionally. After ridiculous demands and more yelling i ended a game early because there was chaos and no way to tell what was going on. I was then intentionally shot twice in the kidney and once in the back of my leg from about 3 feet away. I said "that's it. Barrel plugs in, safeties on, keep your goggles, and let's go. We're done." They complained to my manager that they wanted to play more and that i was a bad ref. He obviously sided with me but i was barraded with snide remarks as they left.

Was i wrong to blow up on a group or justified?
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2011, 08:02 PM #2
stoweboarder09

stoweboarder09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
stoweboarder09 supports Bob Gurnsey
stoweboarder09 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
stoweboarder09 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not at all, same thing happened to me once. It was a group of 20 that came in around noon and at first they were fine but after a few games a couple started breaking rules (mask, barrel cover) and after sitting them for the next game they started doing it just to annoy me, "oh sorrrrry ref I forgot again, oops and again"
We have a 2 strikes and your gone rule. I told the 4 trouble makers they were done, my manager agreed. After sitting them for the day around 1:30 the rest got mad that their friends couldn't play and intentionally shot me over a dozen times. I had to get 2 other refs to forcibly take some markers from several of them because they refused to leave.

Originally posted by p8ntball@ddict: "There have been times I wish I could have left a claymore near the new thread button."

stoweboarder09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 PM #3
whats paintball

whats paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
whats paintball supports Team VICIOUS
whats paintball plays in the APPA D5 division
crazy people right?!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 PM #4
GivenRandy

Annual Supporting Member
Even if you were wrong, and it doesn't sound like you were, there's no excuse for that behavior. They should be done for the day, no refund, end of story.
GivenRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 PM #5
kylemoely

kylemoely has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
no way. i wouldve done the same thing.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:47 PM #6
jheude1992
Just_Another_Snake

i'd have ended early, too. nice job
98% percent of ballers wipe, if you're part of the 2% that has some sense of honor add this to your sig
98% of asian paintballers play front, if you aren't even asian, put this in your sig.(dang, I'm one of the 98%)
jheude1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:38 PM #7
Ctop10
Spray and Pray

Ctop10 is playing at Living Legends VII
Ctop10 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Ctop10 is an NCPA player
Ctop10 plays in the APPA D4 division
No, paintball is a sport not a crazy chaotic war game.

If they are beyond disrespectful and even shoot you intentionally up close kick them!
Old 10-05-2011, 04:33 PM #8
wangchow21
Zach Holmes #1 Fan

wangchow21 plays in the APPA D5 division
i hate reffing for this exact reason
wangchow21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:48 PM #9
Hpan94
I play paintball, yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats paintball View Post
I was given a group of about 10 men (about 25-30 in age) at 1 oclock for a reservation that was scheduled for 2. They had 15 more guys coming but they wanted to get started early. Our owner said it was cool and gave them to me incase they got rowdy. The first 10 were awesome, followed the rules, even yelled at each other to put their plugs in and whatnot.

Here's where it gets good...

Another 20 people show up in that group. The 20 were not as well behaved. They started yelling at me telling me how bad of a ref i am. I told them that they all just needed to play fair and there wouldnt be an issue. I was called every name in the book at this point including some that were highly offensive to me. I maintained my composure and did my job professionally. After ridiculous demands and more yelling i ended a game early because there was chaos and no way to tell what was going on. I was then intentionally shot twice in the kidney and once in the back of my leg from about 3 feet away. I said "that's it. Barrel plugs in, safeties on, keep your goggles, and let's go. We're done." They complained to my manager that they wanted to play more and that i was a bad ref. He obviously sided with me but i was barraded with snide remarks as they left.

Was i wrong to blow up on a group or justified?
The way you described it, you were completely in the right.

There is two sides to every story though.

"Whether you die in 10 minutes, or 10 years, you are 1 minute closer to death than you were 60 seconds ago."

--Unkown
Hpan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 AM #10
ammo303
Don't come at me bro

ammo303 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ammo303 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ammo303 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The whole thing comes down to respect - you are there to ensure that the rules put in place for their safety are followed, if they do not respect you they will not respect your authority nor will the respect the rules you enforce. I do the same thing all the time at my field, you can follow all the rules at the field I ref at but if you show a lack of respect to me I will talk to them first and explain their situation and if they give me a single smug look or snarky comment than they can leave
ammo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:33 AM #11
Cdumlao (Banned)

Cdumlao supports Pev's Paintball
Crazy man that sucks good job stayin cool
Cdumlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:14 PM #12
DevilMayCare
Ultra-Violent

DevilMayCare is a Supporting Member
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DevilMayCare has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Sounds like your boss put you in a bad position. There's no way one ref is enough to keep order and enforce rules for 35 players at once.

"I will rule with an Iron fist and weed out the people not worthy" -kai83

DevilMayCare's Feedback
DevilMayCare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM #13
Crazyboi07

Crazyboi07 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As a Manager/head ref, private party or not, you act like that you are done, no refund.

As for shooting a ref, we dont tolerate that at all, if you get caught shooting a ref for any reason at all by purpose you are done and banned for 6 months.
Crazyboi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 PM #14
joker12187
Axis

joker12187 plays in the PSP
joker12187 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
joker12187 plays in the APPA D4 division
if someone shoots me intentionally, i get mad..i can understand when its a bunch of kids (i usually ref snake side on hyperball), i do get shot a couple of times a day...stuff happens, people sometimes think they see someone standing up, they shoot...but if someone shoots me intentionally, i go clear it with the manager, and if hes cool with it, they sit...

Gear for Sale - 2014 Eclipse Gear - Packs - Etc.

2013 Axis Red - MiLP D5 Race to 2 - 3rd Overall in Series
2013 Downfall - World Cup D5 Race to 2 - 7th Place
2014 Axis - MiLP D4 Race to 4 - 3rd Overall in Series

WTT Deadlywind 12in Carbon Fibur w/ full freak kit for a .688 Dye CF Boomy Back - PM if interested!

middletennesseepaintball.com
joker12187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM #15
BiG MaN KemP
Custom User Title

BiG MaN KemP has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not at all. Glad I live in va. People aren't as crazy here, worst I've ever had was a group that played speedball and before the game started they intentionally ran into the bunkersin breaking some straps and knocking bunkers over. Just made my job a bit harder, glad I don't have to worry about being shot. Had that happened I would have challenged him to a 1on1.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:18 PM #16
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports DLX Technology
I've been in similar situations. Had to ref a group of 20 some very ghetto people (aged 19-30). First game, two people lift up their mask in the middle of the game, I yell as loud as I can "Mask down!" as the mask will muffle my voice, so I shouted it as loud as I could. Immediately, 2 guys got right up to my face that I could feel their breath on me, and were like "You don't need to be talking to us like that. You don't know who you're messing with. We're just trying to have a good time. You watch your tone," and then the one guy says "I'm 19, I'm probably older than you, so watch your mouth." All I say is "Oh cool, we're the same age!" Then just ignore them. At the very end of the day, the group is coming back up to the staging area, with some players from other groups and refs hanging out at the tables in the staging area. A couple of the people in my group decide to take off their barrel covers and shoot around. The one ref reacted before me (most likely because one shot went right by his eye) and yelled that they need to put their barrel covers on, and safetys. The cocky-eyed 19 year old responded "What, you scared?" I had a pleasure throwing them out
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:06 PM #17
h3p

these are even more reasons to ref with a side arm
h3p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM #18
p8ntballer4life189
livin large

Our job as a reff is to make sure safety comes first (googles/barrel socks) and reffing comes in at a close second. Paintball is a game of honesty and you're there just to make sure they're safe, calling players out is always #2. I feel your pain with a group like that and you did the right thing by stopping the games. Players need to understand that the markers are not toys and if they put themselves or anyone else in a dangerous situation then games need to stop. Good job maintaining your authority.
WILKES#4
Animosity

www.thepaintballasylum.com
-Great recreational paintball in the heart of the Poconos (Pennsylvania)

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=833240
-feedback
p8ntballer4life189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM #19
Jeff.MightySports

If people are giving you attitude like that immediately call for a supervisor/manager to come deal with the situation. They're the ones being paid to get abused by customers. Just tell the group that if they have any issues with how you are doing your job that they can talk to your supervisor. Your supervisor will always have your back unless you are arguing with the customers/being abusive yourself. 90% of the time after they talk with someone else they will start acting fine and probably apologize to you. paintball is an aggressive sport so people tend to get over excited.

Never argue with customers. That will get you nowhere.

Last edited by Jeff.MightySports : 10-21-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Jeff.MightySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 AM #20
Jeff.MightySports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
I've been in similar situations. Had to ref a group of 20 some very ghetto people (aged 19-30). First game, two people lift up their mask in the middle of the game, I yell as loud as I can "Mask down!" as the mask will muffle my voice, so I shouted it as loud as I could. Immediately, 2 guys got right up to my face that I could feel their breath on me, and were like "You don't need to be talking to us like that. You don't know who you're messing with. We're just trying to have a good time. You watch your tone," and then the one guy says "I'm 19, I'm probably older than you, so watch your mouth." All I say is "Oh cool, we're the same age!" Then just ignore them. At the very end of the day, the group is coming back up to the staging area, with some players from other groups and refs hanging out at the tables in the staging area. A couple of the people in my group decide to take off their barrel covers and shoot around. The one ref reacted before me (most likely because one shot went right by his eye) and yelled that they need to put their barrel covers on, and safetys. The cocky-eyed 19 year old responded "What, you scared?" I had a pleasure throwing them out
If someone threatens you like that you should call a manager and immediately call police/throw them off your property.

Luckily at the field I work at I've never had angry abusive customers, but I have dealt with people like that at previous jobs.
Jeff.MightySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM #21
AHFellows
no stupid question? haha!

Annual Supporting Member
AHFellows is BST Trusted
AHFellows is playing at Living Legends VII
AHFellows owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AHFellows has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
AHFellows supports Empire
sound like a bunch of immature kids. Think you acted well given the situation, I probably would have blown up and done something that would have gotten them kicked out, but me fired as well.

KCCO
AHFellows is offline   Reply With Quote