Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-24-2012, 07:10 PM #64
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pflfranco View Post
Honestly I know the bare minimums for both subjects. Just getting into my major in college. So I am not sure which I would like to do. From what I have read and heard, programming is much harder. Which is fine with me. I would rather have harder work than sit around playing WoW until a problem comes up lol. I know it's a noob question, I apologize.
Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Marketing or business mentality? Or just straight up computers?

Personally, I'd say that if you are an outside the box thinker, go with computer science/programming. That way if you ever have an idea for a website, you can build it yourself and be the next Jack Dorsey (or just sit on a cool few mill).

But if you're a bread and butter guy and like to stick to the books, try networking. That way there is always room for growth, and a fundamental IT knowledge is at least a good stepping stone to build and grow from.

And yes, computer science may be harder, but it can be rewarding to see something go from a blank page to a fully dynamic site, all on your own.

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 PM #65
pflfranco
It's Josh

pflfranco is playing at Living Legends VI
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco supports Team VICIOUS
pflfranco posts videos on PbNation
pflfranco is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
pflfranco is Legendary
pflfranco supports DLX Technology
Thank you very much for your answer.
pflfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM #66
Blazestorm2
I like me

Any of you ducks messed with node.js, javascript, express, or anything in that field.

Working on some projects and the teacher is pretty vague with explanations.

Mainly, just don't know what the hell all of these "modules" are useful for. He just introduced them, showed some code using them, and then expects us to expand on that.
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM #67
Duhck

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazestorm2 View Post
Any of you ducks messed with node.js, javascript, express, or anything in that field.

Mainly, just don't know what the hell all of these "modules" are useful for. He just introduced them, showed some code using them, and then expects us to expand on that.
I work in nodejs every day. whats up
Duhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM #68
Not_Werty7373

Not_Werty7373 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Hey could some one check out this shell script I wrote? I am getting an unexpected end of file error.
HTML Code:
#!/bin/sh find_all=false # # Check options inputted by user # case "$1" in -a) find_all=true shift ;; -[!a]) echo "Usage: $0 [-a] commands ... exit 0 ;; *) break ;; esac # # Check every file passed by the user # while [ $# -gt 0 ] do file=$1 exist=false case "$file" in /*) if [ -x $file ] then echo $file fi ;; *) # $1 is a file to search in $PATH IFS=: for dir in $PATH: # #Assigns each word in the word list to the varaible, dir # do if [ -z "$dir" ] then dir="." fi # # Check if the file is executable and in the $dir # if [ -x "$dir/$file" ] then echo "$dir/$file" exist=true if [ "$find_all" != true ] then break # # Stop searching and display first result if -a is inputted # fi fi done ;; esac if [ "$exist" = false ] then echo $file not found fi shift # #shifts the next arguement into the $1 position for the outer do loop # done
CHRIST KREW #666
~~
Not_Werty7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM #69
Mustang7302
has been here too long

Mustang7302 is a founding member
Mustang7302 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Werty7373 View Post
Hey could some one check out this shell script I wrote? I am getting an unexpected end of file error.
HTML Code:
#!/bin/sh find_all=false # # Check options inputted by user # case "$1" in -a) find_all=true shift ;; -[!a]) echo "Usage: $0 [-a] commands ... exit 0 ;; *) break ;; esac # # Check every file passed by the user # while [ $# -gt 0 ] do file=$1 exist=false case "$file" in /*) if [ -x $file ] then echo $file fi ;; *) # $1 is a file to search in $PATH IFS=: for dir in $PATH: # #Assigns each word in the word list to the varaible, dir # do if [ -z "$dir" ] then dir="." fi # # Check if the file is executable and in the $dir # if [ -x "$dir/$file" ] then echo "$dir/$file" exist=true if [ "$find_all" != true ] then break # # Stop searching and display first result if -a is inputted # fi fi done ;; esac if [ "$exist" = false ] then echo $file not found fi shift # #shifts the next arguement into the $1 position for the outer do loop # done
I am not familiar with (Power?)Shell, however my experience with C# and VB would leave me to believe you're not incrementing the next value in the recordset/array at the Shift. In fact, im not even 100% you're establishing an array to loop through there.

Perhaps this link might be of some help: http://www.powershellpro.com/powersh...c-using-loops/

"Originally posted by Volucris: Computers are tools. Man is separated by how well he chooses his tool."

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: We went from Allan Sheppard, Gus Grissom, Neil Armstrong, and Buzz Aldrin to Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Lohan, and Snooki."
Mustang7302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 AM #70
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
Quote:
I've written a few small apps in node. What do you want to know? It's only good for evented I/O so if you're writing something like a chat server it works well. It's way overhyped right now so your teacher probably spends too much time on HackerNews.
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:22 AM #71
BlitzPA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Werty7373 View Post
For starters, you didn't close the double-quotes on this line
Code:
echo "Usage: $0 [-a] commands ...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 AM #72
BlitzPA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang7302 View Post
I am not familiar with (Power?)Shell, however my experience with C# and VB would leave me to believe you're not incrementing the next value in the recordset/array at the Shift. In fact, im not even 100% you're establishing an array to loop through there.

Perhaps this link might be of some help: http://www.powershellpro.com/powersh...c-using-loops/
It's unix (bourne) shell not Windows PowerShell...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 PM #73
Duhck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9 View Post
I've written a few small apps in node. What do you want to know? It's only good for evented I/O so if you're writing something like a chat server it works well. It's way overhyped right now so your teacher probably spends too much time on HackerNews.
What makes you say it is only good for event driven programming?

It is an asynchronous language, like ruby, python, actionscript, go, dart, etc...
It is a great platform for building a static website, but it is definitely geared towards building large, scalable, dynamic applications.

Node scales really well, has enormous community support, and enables people to write their entire application (services, application and front end) in one language (and thus promotes code sharing).
Duhck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:30 PM #74
minime

minime is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9 View Post
It's unix (bourne) shell not Windows PowerShell...
Actually, /bin/sh is a sym link to the system's default shell, so it's not always Bourne shell.

That's why it's generally a bad idea to use /bin/sh in the hashbang, because it isn't portable. It's best to instead use a path to an actual shell.

Flex 7 F/S

minime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 AM #75
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:

It's decent but the scaling will bite you in the *** in industry .

Check out meteor way easier to learn way easier to deploy and it's built on top of it . Great for classroom use

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 AM #76
Blazestorm2
I like me

Heh, little late... that class is over with and I was able to get most of it figured out for the assignments.

Now I'm working with Unity / C# to make a game in a few weeks, and some CUDA C/C++ for another class on parallel programming with GPUs.
Blazestorm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:36 PM #77
IonBaller07
Joyness, I Has It

IonBaller07 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Ok so Ive been developing some sites for a little while but theyve all been for school and I want to make a more personal site for fun and potentially profit.

Problem is the idea bank has been a little slow for me but Im working on it. Anyway I just wanted to run this ideas past the general public and see what you guys thought.

1st: Ever been to a stoplight party. Green = single, wants to have fun, etc. Red = taken, doesnt really want to interact, etc. Yellow = somewhere in between.

I was thinking about making a site using google maps to overlay markers of where people are, some info about them (interests, basic info, characteristics, etc.) and the markers could be the little stoplights. People with green want you to come interact with them. Red people are busy. You get the idea, further I get in the more features there could be like chats, premium users, whatever.

Only problems are that I dont know if there would really be interest with the hindreds of other meet people sites and the coding would be massive with the individual user accounts with all of their info. May be a tad out of my league.

2nd: This one is a little more of a crazy idea still using google Api but it would certainly be more unique if it panned out. It would a site in which people could use to find drug dealers (yah you read that right). Dealers could put up markers at meeting locations, prices, users could have rating systems (5 star dealer). The markers could be what theyre selling (pot leaf, pills, whatever else I want to include).

Obvious issues are the legality (for me, obviously the users arent being legal), and whether the users would use it because cops could easily use it. Buttt, I think it would be a fun site to make both as a social experiment to see if people would actually use it, and because lets be honest crazier things have been successful.

Sooo, your thoughts and opinions on either of these??
I WANT CHICKEN AND CHI-CHI'S
I WANT TASTE BUDS
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote