Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM #1
FreakinJB

G6R Poppits stuck open?

My team and I mostly shoot G6Rs and we all hit the field today after our winter hiatus. We all regularly maintain our guns and were all seeing breach breaks. All of us had issues with our poppits sticking open and venting after shooting a string of ~10 shots. We all completely disassmbled, ensured poppit springswere seated correctly and lubed (55) our poppit orings. All guns worked throughout the day but had minor breach leaks. This happened in cold weather to me last year and is frustrating to say the least. Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance.
FreakinJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM #2
shokertm

shokertm owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
shokertm supports Team VICIOUS
shokertm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
shokertm supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinJB View Post
My team and I mostly shoot G6Rs and we all hit the field today after our winter hiatus. We all regularly maintain our guns and were all seeing breach breaks. All of us had issues with our poppits sticking open and venting after shooting a string of ~10 shots. We all completely disassmbled, ensured poppit springswere seated correctly and lubed (55) our poppit orings. All guns worked throughout the day but had minor breach leaks. This happened in cold weather to me last year and is frustrating to say the least. Any idea what's going on? Thanks in advance.
I've heard somewhere that the cold weather likes to "stick" the poppit open, Some people don't even lube the poppit with more than a tiny tiny drop.
Could be that? Also, Use a q-tip and clean out the poppit hole

GEARBAG SALE EVERYTHING PRICED TO SELL
shokertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM #3
FreakinJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokertm View Post
I've heard somewhere that the cold weather likes to "stick" the poppit open, Some people don't even lube the poppit with more than a tiny tiny drop.
Could be that? Also, Use a q-tip and clean out the poppit hole
Thanks, you're right, fully disassembling and cleaning is typically the only fix we've found to work. We lube the poppit oring and it fixes the issue for the most part. Our issue is that we aren't willing to keep doing this on a field table every time we want to play in the cold. The consistency of this issue across multiple guns is the frustrating part.

Also, you said "drop". Are you using dow 55 on your poppit o ring or oil? According to the techs at events, these are only lubed.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM #4
tim2thousand4
Breakout Action Sports!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tim2thousand4 is BST Legit
tim2thousand4 is playing at Living Legends VII
tim2thousand4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tim2thousand4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tim2thousand4 supports DLX Technology
Dow 55.. I bet it's your poppit spring being slightly off track. Take off your lpr and see if it's sitting correctly.

If it's not, use a pencil or allen key to align is correctly.
tim2thousand4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:30 PM #5
StyngRay2

hmmm sounds like the gen 4 valve float issue (poppet valve sticks open) that used to happen with the eigen rams,,,until the new lurker valve came out this would happen qutie regularly...like once per day of play at least....

since its cold and you all haven't played in a while did you recheck your pressures?
StyngRay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM #6
twoquick4u04

i shot a 2012 g6r and i had the same problem also sunday when i played just played the day through it and it happen every once in awhile
twoquick4u04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM #7
FreakinJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim2thousand4 View Post
Dow 55.. I bet it's your poppit spring being slightly off track. Take off your lpr and see if it's sitting correctly.

If it's not, use a pencil or allen key to align is correctly.
Thanks for the feedback guys...I checked my pressures and all is good there. Tim, you're saying that if i remove the lpr, I can check that the poppit spring is seated correctly without having the gun halves apart? I'm traveling and don't have it with me otherwise I'd check. This will save me a lot of time if that's the case.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 AM #8
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
There are two things that really cause this. The first is when people lube the poppit o-ring during maintenance. The poppit o-ring does not need any lubrication during maintenance. If you do put any on there, it needs to be an extremely light and almost non-existent coat. This o-ring actually gets lube on it from other parts of the gun during cycling and often gets too much caked on there and sticks. Another thing that can cause this is not having the poppit spring seated properly in the gun. The gun will often still cycle normal but will occasionally stick and even worse bind open if it is not seated properly.

I have had zero issues using Dow 55 in the cold but you will want to run a much lighter coat on the other components and as I said, I recommend running the poppit dry. You can sort of check the valve spring by removing the lpr and looking through the hole to get an idea but its best to just remove the halves and re-seat as you can sometimes not quite tell.

Last edited by Mr. Stealthy : 02-12-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:38 AM #9
FreakinJB

I didn't know it could be run dry, let's see if this does it. Thanks again guys.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:12 PM #10
tim2thousand4
Breakout Action Sports!

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
tim2thousand4 is BST Legit
tim2thousand4 is playing at Living Legends VII
tim2thousand4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tim2thousand4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
tim2thousand4 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinJB

Thanks for the feedback guys...I checked my pressures and all is good there. Tim, you're saying that if i remove the lpr, I can check that the poppit spring is seated correctly without having the gun halves apart? I'm traveling and don't have it with me otherwise I'd check. This will save me a lot of time if that's the case.
That's what I do sir
tim2thousand4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 AM #11
Jed_za

When you guys say " cold " , how cold are we talking here ?
Jed_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM #12
Mr. Stealthy

Quote:
I didn't know it could be run dry, let's see if this does it. Thanks again guys.
It will not really be running dry, you just aren't directly applying lube to it. It gets some lube during cycling and will often get two much if the user puts anything more than an extremely light coat on during maintenance.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 AM #13
Steve M
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Annual Supporting Member
Steve M plays in the APPA D4 division
Steve M supports DLX Technology
Steve M supports Empire
I had this happen last practice but thought it was due to pressure inside of my barrel after so much broken paint got clogged inside of it. By chance, does anyone have a picture of what the spring should look like when it is on track?

Back Players Gang | Fat Ballers Club | Da Luxe MOB | Shocker Owners Club
Steve M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 AM #14
FreakinJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I had this happen last practice but thought it was due to pressure inside of my barrel after so much broken paint got clogged inside of it. By chance, does anyone have a picture of what the spring should look like when it is on track?
The poppit spring should be seated flush so that it's guiding the poppit through the poppit hole correctly (straight as opposed to angled). It's more of a "feel" check than a "look" check. The tricky part is just ensuring the poppit spring remains flush when you put the two gun halves back together.

@Jed_Za it was between 35 and 40 degrees and it's been that cold every time i've seen this happen.

@Mr. Stealthy - point taken, ill wipe down the poppit, poppit o-ring and poppit hole.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 AM #15
Mr. Stealthy

I will add that you can usually catch poppit sticking by simply pushing the bolt all the way forward and ensuring that it resets properly with no air. I usually test this about 4-5 times after disassembling my body halves to make sure it is good to go. This along with removing the lpr to see that the spring is properly aligned should help you catch any issues before you get to the field.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:32 PM #16
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed_za View Post
When you guys say " cold " , how cold are we talking here ?
I've played with my gear in below freezing weather. 25-35 on occasion.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote