Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-12-2013, 04:00 AM #1
Jonnywhoop

Question Ego 5 breaking paint in barrel

Hey guys, my friend gave me his old ego5 (Hopefully he doesn't ask for it back ) because it was his backup and hes moved onto his bigger and better ego9. The battery connection was horrible as it would turn on and stay on. I went ahead and switched to a tadao board. Besides that, everything should be stock.

Now the marker shoots and everything, but the only downside is that I am chopping a lot of paint. every 3 - 5 shots, I would definitely get a barrel break. I'm not sure when was the last time it has had a FULL maintenance/cleaning. (which I assume could be the problem)

I have been using random paint from different fields/stores, but I have noticed that no matter what the paint is, I seem to have frequent chops. If anyone could please give me further details of really stripping down the gun and getting to the root of the problem I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Links/anything that can be of help would be awesome. I googled various things but I am sure this forum would be of greater help. THANKS!!!
Jonnywhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM #2
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
First thing, replace all orings. It's been out for a while so a good rebuild will help. Make sure your LPR set screw is flush (stock setting) and all other settings are stock. Try a Cure3+ or Cure4 bolt and ultimately try higher quality paint :p
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:49 PM #3
Jonnywhoop

Should I just buy an O ring kit? How do I ensure everything is back to stock? Is there a big difference between the bolts? might as well get the cure4 then right? sorry for all the newb questions
Old 02-12-2013, 03:25 PM #4
Jonnywhoop

Im about to order a cure 4 bolt, an o ring kit, some grease and oil. anything else that I should order from ANSgear? BTW THANKS FOR THE REPLY ABE!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM #5
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

msweeneygt owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
msweeneygt has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
msweeneygt has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If your really going to go in to upgrading it, I would suggest a barrel kit next with multiple bores. I personally recommend the Shaft 4 kit, but really anything with more than 2 bores or so. Other than that seems like you got the "necessities" covered. Since you mentioned chopping, make sure your detents are OK. I would just go ahead and replace them. Easy fix for $3.
Planet Eclipse Etek w/. Star frame, 08 Ego expansion board, Etek 2 regulator, Ego10 OOPS ASA, SLS Cure 3+ bolt w/. inserts, Zick kit, Kila detents, Violent thumbwheel, PE red laser eyes, Shaft 4 barrel kit w/. all backs and fronts, both Bump pistons.
V3 Dye Rotor w/. Virtue board
114/4500 Carleton w/. Myth reg

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T
msweeneygt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:17 PM #6
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

smokefools66 supports Team VICIOUS
smokefools66 supports Empire
I would order from paintballshowcase over ans gear, but that's up to you. Also msweenygt is right you need to check out your detents as well as making sure your eye wires are in good shape and make sure they are clean.

smokefools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 AM #7
Jonnywhoop

Been looking for the detents. I don't think they even make them anymore, unless I pick up the whole kit from paintballshowcase.

Cure4
Barrel kit: looking at freak kits used
Ego kit from showcase
Grease/oil

The only thing that boggles me is the detents I suppose. Seems like my marker is getting outdated..
Old 02-13-2013, 01:18 AM #8
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

Yes parts for the 05/06 ego unfortunately are getting scarce..

Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 AM #9
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

Not impossible to find.

http://www.prostarpb.com/planeteclip...ent-2pack.aspx

http://www.deopaintball.com/Ego-Ball...t-Kit-x10.html

But I think the one for Deo is a stock 05 image marketing the 06 and newer detents.
Planet Eclipse Etek w/. Star frame, 08 Ego expansion board, Etek 2 regulator, Ego10 OOPS ASA, SLS Cure 3+ bolt w/. inserts, Zick kit, Kila detents, Violent thumbwheel, PE red laser eyes, Shaft 4 barrel kit w/. all backs and fronts, both Bump pistons.

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T
Old 02-13-2013, 03:58 AM #10
Jonnywhoop

^Thanks! gonna wait on ordering the detents. picked up an O ring kit for the ego and basic maintenance kit. Going to crack open the gun and regrease/lube everything. Picked up the bolt as well.

I will let you guys know what happens. should be a fun project for the upcoming weekend.

ALSO! what areas do i grease and which areas do I oil?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM #11
smokefools66
Overkill is underrated

Grease the LPR and HPR piston ORINGS and oil your ram maybe a small drop on the bolt Oring to make the detents last longer.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM #12
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

^What he said^

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T
Old 02-14-2013, 03:34 AM #13
Jonnywhoop

Sounds good fellas. Thanks for all the helpful comments. Ill be sure to update you all about the progress!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:40 PM #14
abenguyen
Abe Na-Goo-Yen

abenguyen posts videos on PbNation
abenguyen plays in the APPA beginner division
abenguyen supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
Im about to order a cure 4 bolt, an o ring kit, some grease and oil. anything else that I should order from ANSgear? BTW THANKS FOR THE REPLY ABE!
No problem, typically a rebuild of all orings and some good old maintenance with a new battery usually does the trick. Try shooting some higher quality paint, and depending on what barrel/bore you're using try a larger size.
abenguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM #15
Jonnywhoop

Hey guys! quick update. changed all the O rings. Greased my HPR and LPR. put in new detents, oiled the rammer, installed cure4 bolt.

ego is shooting lasers now. ball on ball on ball on ball on ball.
THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP.

now... any recommendations to upgrade the eyes?
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM #16
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

No real need to upgrade Ego eyes. They all work the same. Unless you are one of those people who have to have laser eyes, but again doesn't perform any better/worse. If you were to get a new pair of eyes they would be just that...a new pair of eyes. Also don't forget all Ego/Etek/Geo eyes are compatible with each other, for future buying.

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T
Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 PM #17
Jonnywhoop

^ good info. guess the last thing is the barrel upgrade!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM #18
msweeneygt
Sinister Ops

I know I'm kind of biased but I highly recommend either a Shaft 4 kit like mine pictured in the link in my sig. Or one of the new Shaft 4s that a private miller has milled for Freak inserts. The reason I say this is because of the longer bore control on the Shaft 4 backs.

Ego/Etek Parts FS/T