Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-11-2013, 02:21 PM #1
Derek0291

CCI Phantom Wear/tear problems 6 years later, help?

I've had my phantom since 2007, and it's seen the field about once a month, if not more since @ about 200-300 balls per session +backyard firing and testing regularly.

Up until now, I haven't had any issues, but now I do.

1. TPC/Bolt Assembly. It will not stay in place. I replaced/reinstalled the nylon set screw. It's literally impossible to move the tpc by hand (so I use a screwdriver), and somehow it still turns on its own after about 50 shots.

2. Pump rod. It has considerable wear (about 1mm or 2) from smashing the back of the groove every pump stroke.

3. Trigger frame pump rod groove. The back of the groove where the rod sits in is also chewed up with about a mm or 2mm indent.

4. Hammer assembly. Okay, now this one just confuses the crap out of me. The opening, where the spring sits in, is dented in (the tip of the opening) so the spring brushes up against it when it passes by. It seems like a bunch of pressure was applied to it somehow to dent it, but i've only ever babied my phantom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any explanations for these or is this expected after 6 years?

I'm absolutely in love with my phantom, so i'm going to buy a new one (instead of replacing chewed up peices), but I want to try and prevent these issues from occuring with my new gun.

Thanks!
Derek0291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM #2
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek0291 View Post
I've had my phantom since 2007, and it's seen the field about once a month, if not more since @ about 200-300 balls per session +backyard firing and testing regularly.

Up until now, I haven't had any issues, but now I do.

1. TPC/Bolt Assembly. It will not stay in place. I replaced/reinstalled the nylon set screw. It's literally impossible to move the tpc by hand (so I use a screwdriver), and somehow it still turns on its own after about 50 shots.

2. Pump rod. It has considerable wear (about 1mm or 2) from smashing the back of the groove every pump stroke.

3. Trigger frame pump rod groove. The back of the groove where the rod sits in is also chewed up with about a mm or 2mm indent.

4. Hammer assembly. Okay, now this one just confuses the crap out of me. The opening, where the spring sits in, is dented in (the tip of the opening) so the spring brushes up against it when it passes by. It seems like a bunch of pressure was applied to it somehow to dent it, but i've only ever babied my phantom.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any explanations for these or is this expected after 6 years?

I'm absolutely in love with my phantom, so i'm going to buy a new one (instead of replacing chewed up peices), but I want to try and prevent these issues from occuring with my new gun.

Thanks!
1) TPC Remove the TPC from the bolt. Screw in the nylon screw until it just pokes through the inside of the bolt. Then screw in the TPC. This will cut its way into the nylon and make it rock solid.

If that is not enough...wrap the TPC in teflon tape several times. Equally as effective.

2) That pump rod is stainless steel and cost $6...buy a new one.

3) This happened to my trigger frame as well...not that big a deal. The gun still works right? that grove is hidden when the gun is put together...

4) That one needs a picture to explain it...The only thing I can think of is the TPC was turned out a lot and then it kinked during a pump stroke? Chances are you could probably file out the dent.

However a new hammer is less than $20...buy a new one and your gun is as good as new.

Replace the parts for less than $30, and keep your current gun. It takes time to wear a phantom in properly.

How to avoid this in the future? You can't really. I have had phantoms that were 10+ years old and shot perfectly with very little wear. But old guns will wear a bit...the bonus is phantoms are super easy and relatively cheap to find replacement parts for.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 PM #3
StockClassPunk

yah, buying new replacement parts from cci directly is your best bet. obviously there is gonna be wear and tear after a few years of use. nothing lasts forever right?
StockClassPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM #4
super_stanchy
the man with no plan

Annual Supporting Member
super_stanchy works for a Paintball manufacturer
super_stanchy plays in the PSP
super_stanchy supports Bob Gurnsey
that happens... they do wear out after years of use.

i would say get a newer style oring'd tpc
it helps out ALOT with keeping your tpc stable and not twisting

when i was testing them... i ran my phantom without the setscrew and had ZERO movement in my TPC
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 PM #5
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

I agree with Nahib Stilgar.
It sounds as if your TPC became completely unthreaded while still in the gun and may have mashed itself between the bolt and hammer.
You might try putting a dab of blue loctite on the TPC if it's still rotating freely during use.
The Inflicted is online now   Reply With Quote