Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2013, 09:40 PM #1
Yellow-Bluntz

Ways to blow your Co2/HPA tank off

I and many others are scared ****less to touch our tanks because of the videos and stories that go around about tanks flying off because of improper assembly/disassembly. Could you please comment the do's and dont's about taking off tanks and what not. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pballin16 : 02-10-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Please make sure to spell all cuss words out properly so that the swear filter may do its job.
Yellow-Bluntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM #2
Planetego09
Kill'em

Planetego09 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Planetego09 supports DLX Technology
No need to be afraid!! When screwing on a tank there are safety features so your take doesnt fly off or blow up. The first thing is every tank has a burst disk. The burst disk is set up to blow off all the pressure in the tank once it reaches a certain pressure. As for tanks flying off, that wont happen unless you put lube on the INSIDE of the bonnet of the tank where the air is coming out.
Planetego09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM #3
tvise
USPN Hollister CA

tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tvise posts videos on PbNation
tvise has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetego09 View Post
No need to be afraid!! When screwing on a tank there are safety features so your take doesnt fly off or blow up. The first thing is every tank has a burst disk. The burst disk is set up to blow off all the pressure in the tank once it reaches a certain pressure. As for tanks flying off, that wont happen unless you put lube on the INSIDE of the bonnet of the tank where the air is coming out.
I don't believe Co2 tanks do.

If the tank is in good visual condition and is in Hydro you should be good.

If they are Co2 tanks you will not even be able to fill them yourself.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 PM #4
dps093
I like Flexes

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Legendary
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Co2 tanks won't do that. You'd have to be idiotic to blow a tank off your gun.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50 PM #5
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Just be careful when you're unscrewing your tank from your gun. Make sure the regulator is actually coming free of the gun, not the tank coming off of the regulator. I've seen it happen a few times and thankfully the person realized it was happening before the pressure was released.
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 PM #6
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvise View Post
I don't believe Co2 tanks do.
If you're referring to burst discs, yes, all modern CO2 tanks used for paintball have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyvanth View Post
Just be careful when you're unscrewing your tank from your gun. Make sure the regulator is actually coming free of the gun, not the tank coming off of the regulator. I've seen it happen a few times and thankfully the person realized it was happening before the pressure was released.
If you're worried about doing this, one thing you can do is use paint or nail polish to paint a stripe between your tank and regulator. Watch this stripe as it you unscrew the tank- if it becomes a broken line you'll know the tank is coming unthreaded. Most CO2 tanks you buy new these days will come with this stripe prepainted.

http://www.warpig.com/paintball/arti...nk/index.shtml

Also, as a bit of reassurance, know that both CO2 valves and HPA regulators have a bleed hole drilled into their threaded section that will become exposed if you start to unscrew the valve/regulator from the tank. When this happens, all the gas in the tank will safely, but quickly vent from this hole rather than allow the tank to rocket off. I've been playing for 16 years seen this happen twice, and while it can be startling it shouldn't hurt anyone.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 AM #7
MooKids

MooKids has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MooKids has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER PUT OIL IN YOUR AIR TANK!

That is a big one that usually causes tanks exploding on people. Petroleum based oil tends to ignite/detonate at the pressures the air tanks are exposed to. Only used approved lubricants, such as silicone.
MooKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:45 AM #8
Yellow-Bluntz

Thanks guys!
Yellow-Bluntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:52 PM #9
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Yup...keep oil out of the tanks. If you put oil into a high pressure air tank, you've basically created a diesel engine piston. It will burn and possibly blow your tank up. At the least your burst disk.

Now....most tanks don't really blow up. They take off like a rocket because someone screws the valve or regulator off of the actual tank. A deadly rocket I might add.

Step one before taking a tank off of your gun. Turn off your air/CO2 first. Then shoot the excess out of the gun in a safe place. This will make the tanks come off a LOT easier and almost eliminate the chance of you doing something wrong. If you don't have a gun with an on/off knob to turn off the air/CO2 then unscrew the tank one and a half rotations, and stop. This will usually be enough to turn off the pin valve on the tank itself. Now you can shoot the extra air/CO2 out of your gun. Once it's all out, screw the tank out the rest of the way.

Step Two......as you unscrew the tank, always look at it and make sure it's coming off properly. If there is a lot of resistance and it's hard for some reason, then stop and look to see what's up. Be calm and figure things out.

If you're unsure at any time, ask someone.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM #10
Sirriko
WAKA WAKA

Annual Supporting Member
Sirriko is playing at Living Legends VI
Sirriko owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Sirriko supports Team VICIOUS
Sirriko supports Team VICIOUS
Sirriko posts videos on PbNation
Sirriko has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Yea almost had a problem years ago when i was unscrewing a tank off my gun. Luckily i noticed i was unscrewing the tank off the regulator itself and stopped. BE CAREFUL THIS SPORT HAS MANY HAZARDS IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING

Canadian eh? Would you like a donut?
Sirriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:51 PM #11
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

Annual Supporting Member
yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow-Bluntz View Post
I and many others are scared ****less to touch our tanks because of the videos and stories that go around about tanks flying off because of improper assembly/disassembly. Could you please comment the do's and dont's about taking off tanks and what not. Thanks in advance!
Use HPA , never put oil near the fill nipple . Don't use Teflon tape on your tanks .

Never double burst disk a tank to stop a leak . Some people do this and this is where alot of exploding tanks come in .

Never pressurize a tank do don't bring a filled tank on an airplane or in a submarine .

Keep your tanks in areas between 32-80 degrees when storing .

Huge gearbag sale. Everything you can imagine including bob saget!

RED JMJ Smooth Mill viking RobTown Valve Ultralight Frame!
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:25 PM #12
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyvanth View Post
the regulator on your tank has a safety measure built in in case this happens. there is a groove along the threaded area of the regulators "stem" that once unscrews so far, vents the air out the tank via that hole.

....doesnt mean it wont make you pee a little if it happens though. same with burst disks. loud hissing noises are good....that means the safety measures are working lol. if you ever hear a loud pop in game and air starts gushing out, stay cool, do go throwing your gear out of panic and breaking something. theres a vid on youtube from another pb site where his burst disk blew and he actually got it on camera. hes also got a vid of the safety measure for when the reg unscews too.

its extremely rare for tanks to go flying off. youd basically have to find a way of breaking the regulator completely off....so dont hit it with a sledgehammer and youll be ok. also these things are rated to twice what we fill them too, so they wont just explode either.

not dropping them on concrete or rocks is good too. wont go boom, but might chip the coating enough it could fail its next hydrotest.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 02-11-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM #13
Eastter
📷📷

Eastter is playing at Living Legends VI
Look on youtube. Guys shoot paintball tanks with real guns, and they dont even put a hole in the tank.After a couple shots, they just put a hole in them and air rushes out.

Don't worry about it. I've been playing for 1 year, and never seen a burst disk. The worst I've ever seen is someone's tank leaking at the fill nipple.

Just focus on having fun and you'll be fine!

Video btw
http://youtu.be/xLkH2HZbm_w

PM me or check out http://www.phpirates.com

Tampa Bay Area

Last edited by Eastter : 02-11-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Eastter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:29 PM #14
Gyvanth
That Awkward Guy

Gyvanth has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Gyvanth has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_816 View Post
the regulator on your tank has a safety measure built in in case this happens. there is a groove along the threaded area of the regulators "stem" that once unscrews so far, vents the air out the tank via that hole.

....doesnt mean it wont make you pee a little if it happens though. same with burst disks. loud hissing noises are good....that means the safety measures are working lol. if you ever hear a loud pop in game and air starts gushing out, stay cool, do go throwing your gear out of panic and breaking something. theres a vid on youtube from another pb site where his burst disk blew and he actually got it on camera. hes also got a vid of the safety measure for when the reg unscews too.

its extremely rare for tanks to go flying off. youd basically have to find a way of breaking the regulator completely off....so dont hit it with a sledgehammer and youll be ok. also these things are rated to twice what we fill them too, so they wont just explode either.

not dropping them on concrete or rocks is good too. wont go boom, but might chip the coating enough it could fail its next hydrotest.

Didn't know that, hopefully I won't ever get to see it used though
Gyvanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:34 PM #15
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

^^that video is natural selection at its finest.

that is a ****ing terrible idea.

for all we know he just filled them to 120 psi with his home shop compressor, so no, its not going to have that violent of a reaction. i do not for a second believe that the first one that gets a hole in it had 4000psi in it. if it did it would whip around a lot more than that. and at 1:50 it definately explodes, plus a few seconds after that you can hear them say "its still going", and then they mention it spinning for nearly 10 seconds afterwards. it is definately possible for a full co2 tank to go flying away when the valve gets blown off. its what happened in one of the 2 paintball related deaths. again we dont know how much co2 was in it, it could have been nearly empty. a full co2 tank is still near 1000psi on a warm day.

it doesnt have to be a "big" explosion to put some shrapnel into your arm.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 02-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:32 PM #16
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
The only way a tank "explodes" is when the pressure inside exceeds what the metal/fiber on the tank can contain. Even if you shoot it with a bullet, it won't "explode". In almost all tank related accidents the tanks rupture and take off like a rocket. Sounds minor but a 2 pound tank hitting your head at 80 miles an hour is more than enough to kill you.

There are plenty of safety bleeds and such but......never depend on someone's engineering to keep you safe. Stay calm......pay attention and you'll be fine.

ETEK 3LT, with 14" Ti boomstick and cure 3 + bolt F/S

Vanguard creed eyes, membrane, bolt pin, detents, gaskets, schraders, orings and more F/s[/color]

Old school angel poppets/cup seals(LCD and A4/speed), spring detents(not sure which models) F/S
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote