PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-22-2013, 12:59 AM #1
UrbanAchiever

UrbanAchiever plays in the PSP
UrbanAchiever plays in the APPA D5 division
Pump Tourney Practice

I have started playing paintball since 8/2011. Been playing every month if not every weekend and i feel that i have reached a certain skill limit at the recball field that i have been playing. I went to play at a local pump day where the airball field is only open to pump players and got my world rocked. I thought i knew what i was doing but they showed me up. I understand that it was my first time playing on an airball field but even snap shooting with guys i was getting demolished even though i felt confident in my abilities. I decided that i want to compete in this years pump series at one of the fields in my area. So here is my question/problem. The field that hosts this tourney has these pump days only once a month and that is not enough practice to get good. I have been thinking of playing airball with semi players to learn the field and angles and just up the competition. Do people come out with pumps onto airball fields? Is it even practical because i am not any pump god? Im just wondering how did people progress their pump game and where and how do they practice? I figure alot of them already play airball and that they are just changing out for a pump. any insight would be great
Advertisement
Old 01-22-2013, 01:42 AM #2
Duybuin

Out of curiosity were you referring to the Davis pump day on saturdya?
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM #3
UrbanAchiever

UrbanAchiever plays in the PSP
UrbanAchiever plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duybuin View Post
Out of curiosity were you referring to the Davis pump day on saturdya?
Yes I am
Old 01-22-2013, 02:09 AM #4
Duybuin

Nice I was there to and pretty much in same situation. I was the guy in Camo and red headband shooting the silver phantom. We're you playing speedball the whole day? And comin back to your question I would just go to local speedball fields with your pump and play with walk ons to try and improve your game. It's a lot more intense the rec
Duybuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM #5
FOOPAgfp
Team FOOPA on the loose

FOOPAgfp supports Empire
^At my local fields the pump players mix in with the walk on speed ball players all the time, nobody minds and half the time it's guys alternating between pump and semi.
Halo b v35 w/rip drive
Freak kit, crossfire 70/45
'04 Pro stock, blue,14" j&j ceramic
Eggy2
FOOPAgfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:28 PM #6
Bano780

I play pump vs anything. Just keep playing, against higher rate of fire you play tighter snap faster. Its getting use to the gun and how to play with limited rate of fire. So just play with your pump
Bano780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM #7
99BPS

I do the same best way to improve anyway. I know a few semi teams who practice by playing rec speed ball with pump
Mech: GoG EnmeY
Pump: Az KP2, Pre2K WGP PumPed Cocker
Old School: Evil Pimp #1: Black/Silver
Super Pimp (#2): *Minty stock* SuperMan color swap
99BPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:54 PM #8
biggidyo

^ both the posts above are correct. just keep playing with your pump and focus on things you need to work on each time you play. playing against semi's will help you snap better but also try and play against better pump players. im pretty sure any pump players that are at davis would be delighted to give you one on one trainings. hope this helps
Old 01-29-2013, 02:37 PM #9
ultranoobify
Little spoon for life.

ultranoobify owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Like everybody else is saying, just play pump all the time. Your skills will progress much quicker when you're playing pump in your "normal setting."
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM #10
SPYDRMN22
Private Labels Only!

has been a member for 10 years
There all right kid,the harder competition you play against the faster youll improve. Stay with it too dont give up like most do in fact leave your semi at home that way you dont get tempted to switch guns. From experience when I was learning your gonna get beat up against the semi's for a bit but it will get easier if you stick with it.Take advantage of your speed and mobility as youll be a lot lighter then the semi's and able to get closer and move faster. Make your shots count and pick your gun fights wisely,snap shooting is big and make sure you learn with both hands even if you suck with your left keep at it,it will pay off in the end being ambidextrous. Good Luck!

My PBN Feedback
My AOG Feedback
Old Feedback
SPYDRMN22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:03 PM #11
Phantom_Dave

I play pump excursively. With my S6, I can put a lot of paint in the air but that is not what playing pump is about. It is about playing smarter. You can get out gunned by every other marker there. Instead of shooting 40-50 balls at someone, shoot 5-6. Snap out and fire 1-2 balls, tuck back in. Snapping shooting is one of the most important skills in paintball, not matter what marker you use. Play pump will force you to get better at it.

Like Spydrmn22 said, leave your other gun at home and try it for a full day. Just going to be honest, you are going to get rolled. Quite a few times. But if you dont get discouraged, you will start to get better pretty quick. Figure out your strengths and weaknesses. Figure out where having a littler, smaller setup (no need to bring 3-6 pods of paint with you) will help you.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.
Phantom_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM #12
ROFLEffect
I make the Feild rat's R

ROFLEffect owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ROFLEffect has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ROFLEffect has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ROFLEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:39 PM #13
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Practice with the rest of the non-pump teams and use it as motivation to improve your snap shooting. You'll feel less pressured once you switch back to playing against pump teams.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM #14
Ttrunk420
California Grown

I have the opposite experience. When I play rec ball at my field with my pump, I do great, even against high end electros. Now on the other hand when I go to Davis for pump day, my skills are highly tested.
Ttrunk420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 PM #15
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttrunk420 View Post
I have the opposite experience. When I play rec ball at my field with my pump, I do great, even against high end electros. Now on the other hand when I go to Davis for pump day, my skills are highly tested.
That's probably because you're leaving a field of less experienced people and playing against people that know what they're doing.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote