Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-11-2013, 10:39 AM #1
Iamamartianchurch

Pope Benedict Resigns

The man drew a fair amount of criticism for being conservative and more traditional minded. I can't say whether he was or was not, having not followed his work. What I am fairly interested in is his successor. The Catholic Church is something of a last bastion for Tradition insofar as Europe can be spoken of. In light of the heavy criticism, I suspect he will be replaced by a pontiff sympathetic to "progress," even if in all reality such ideology is completely antithetical and outright heretical to Christianity. If the recently appointed arch bishop of Canterbury, an obvious eunuch, is any indication of the future of Christianity; I suspect a fair amount of change in the future for the institution.

I'm curious, how do you Christians feel?
Iamamartianchurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-11-2013, 10:43 AM #2
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
I like that he's smart enough to know he's not in any shape to be the Pope anymore.

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 AM #3
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Why did God let him become ill?
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM #4
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volucris View Post
Why did God let him become ill?
This isn't the place for crass theology.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:52 AM #5
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

then what do you deem appropriate discussion for this thread?
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:02 PM #6
Iamamartianchurch

I prefer commentary on the direction of the church itself. Will we see a swing of the pendulum, etc etc.

I will also accept commentary or discussion on Benedict's legacy.

If you want to talk about God lifting rocks, making immortal human beings or creating utopian paradises, I suggest attending a local nondenominational Sunday school for debate.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM #7
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
I'm interested to see how the next Pope addresses all of the scandals with sexual abuse. Will he acknowledge it and clean house? Keep sweeping it under the rug? Pay out hush money?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM #8
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
I'm interested to see how the next Pope addresses all of the scandals with sexual abuse. Will he acknowledge it and clean house? Keep sweeping it under the rug? Pay out hush money?
Indeed. I actually forgot all about it.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:39 PM #9
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

To be clear, this hasn't happened since the 13th century. This is very big news. I'm interested to see how this will all play out as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:40 PM #10
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Indeed. I actually forgot all about it.
A lot of people haven't as they still have to face their abusers due to inaction from above or pending paydays from church coffers. I'm curious if the church is worried about having replacements if they clean house. They've already relaxed conditions on converting congregations but I wonder what the numbers are like.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 02-11-2013, 12:43 PM #11
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
To be clear, this hasn't happened since the 13th century. This is very big news. I'm interested to see how this will all play out as well.
I have my suspicions that there is more to it than old age. The last resignation was over the schism. I can't think of any issue of such paramount divisiveness besides the clash between the modern, post 1789 world and that of the pre-modern Throne and Altar world the Catholics support but do not outright promote. I know vaguely of a push from within the Church's ranks to excise the old world traditions of the institution.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM #12
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
Just did a shoot for aljazeera, and they were talking about this. And one thing they talked about which I didn't even think about, was getting in a new pope that will crack down on all of the sexual predator crap. So hopefully the next pope doesn't mess around.

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:46 PM #13
F1VENOM

Quote:
I have my suspicions that there is more to it than old age. The last resignation was over the schism. I can't think of any issue of such paramount divisiveness besides the clash between the modern, post 1789 world and that of the pre-modern Throne and Altar world the Catholics support but do not outright promote. I know vaguely of a push from within the Church's ranks to excise the old world traditions of the institution.
This goes right to what I was saying as it's the only way for the church to slow the hemorrhaging of members which is a huge problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:48 PM #14
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
A lot of people haven't as they still have to face their abusers due to inaction from above or pending paydays from church coffers. I'm curious if the church is worried about having replacements if they clean house. They've already relaxed conditions on converting congregations but I wonder what the numbers are like.
I took the whole ordeal with a grain of salt. I have no doubt that abuse happened, although I am highly skeptical that the extreme permeance of abuse is the result of legitimate claim.

Can you explain that last sentence?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM #15
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
This goes right to what I was saying as it's the only way for the church to slow the hemorrhaging of members which is a huge problem.
I don't think they should forsake their principles to retain membership. Otherwise, what good are they? What good is everything they teach? Despite my objections to the faithh, their relative steadfastness is something i respect. I find it hard to respect anything which bends itself to the popular sentiments and beliefs of your common boob.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:54 PM #16
F1VENOM

It further tarnishes the reputation of an already archaic institution.

The Catholic church has been allowing entire congregations (Protestant I know for sure, I'm not sure about other denominations) including the ministers to convert to Catholicism and stay at the helm which I view as desperation.

Quote:
I don't think they should forsake their principles to retain membership. Otherwise, what good are they? What good is everything they teach? Despite my objections to the faithh, their relative steadfastness is something i respect. I find it hard to respect anything which bends itself to the popular sentiments and beliefs of your common boob.
That's exactly what they're doing, which is a bit incredible.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 PM #17
Iamamartianchurch

That was sort of the thing I was afraid of. I mentioned it in the OP. If you read some of the ideology espoused by the new A of C, it is very anti-christian. Though I know that this observation of fact will be seen as a good thing to many, especially her enemies.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:05 PM #18
F1VENOM

Quote:
That was sort of the thing I was afraid of. I mentioned it in the OP. If you read some of the ideology espoused by the new A of C, it is very anti-christian. Though I know that this observation of fact will be seen as a good thing to many, especially her enemies.
I'll have to look into it.

Capitulation, hell you can hear mass in your native tongue now.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:17 PM #19
Iamamartianchurch

Eh I wish I had the opportunity to experience a traditional Latin mass once.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:28 PM #20
F1VENOM

You still can in the rectory, hiyoooo.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:10 PM #21
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
You still can in the rectory, hiyoooo.