PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM #1
Nrf707

Nrf707 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Why Wouldn't the Ref call him out?

So i was playing my last game of the day when they put about 35 7 yr old kids and a couple of dads in our game. None of them have ever paintballed before and they all had rentals. There were only two other players with a personal gun playing, and one was my brother, so they split up the kids. First the ref started yelling and all the kids thought the game started so we had to restart for that. Then the game started and the ref didn't tell us so the other teams got a headstart. I run up to a bunker and about 8 little kids follow me. I shot one guy then moved to another bunker. I see a dad in the wide open so I shoot him twice and turn to someone else. I look to see him wipe it off. I tell him he's out and let him go because it's his first time. Suddenly I find the same guy shooting at me. I shoot him again and he raises his gun and walks over to a ref. He has the ref do a paint check and raises his gun and walks back into play. Wouldn't he be out since he raised his gun, signaling he's out? I felt bad shooting the little kids and the dad was trying to guard them but is the dad setting a good example for his kids?
Nrf707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:11 AM #2
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrf707 View Post
None of them have ever paintballed before and they all had rentals.
The ref knew this. He was trying to make their first experience fun. As an experienced player, you should to. Cut them some slack and get them interested in the game. We can teach them the finer points and etiquette later. If Dad is out 15 seconds into his first and last game of the day he will think, "this is stupid" and he'll never come back. If he gets into it you will have lots of opportunity to explain how to play honorably.

Last edited by XRidgelinerX : 04-12-2013 at 07:23 AM.
XRidgelinerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:04 PM #3
firststrike01
Peace is the way

I disagree. I think if you keep letting players break the rules they won't learn from their mistakes. And it does a dissservice to them and everyone else who paid good money to play. If you are a quitter after losing one game then you don't have much of a future in paintball anyway. Also I don't see too many new fathers playing regularly after just getting into the sport...unless their kid drags them into it. Which ultimately comes down to the Kid enjoying themselves. And kids love anything even if they get destroyed. Imo the ref never should of put a private group of noob kids with experienced players. But that falls on him.
firststrike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM #4
XRidgelinerX
Old Guy and IYAOYAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrf707 View Post
So i was playing my last game of the day when they put about 35 7 yr old kids and a couple of dads in our game. None of them have ever paintballed before and they all had rentals.
firststrike,

Seriously? Read Nrf707's first sentance. It was the "last game of the day"! It was "35 seven year olds"! "None of them have ever paintballed before".

Paintball is supposed to be fun. If Nrf707 wanted serious tournament style play and stiff competition with rules strictly enforced, he should have called it a day and yielded the field to the large walk-on group for a last game before the field closed.

What was the purpose of "shooting the little kids" which he says he feels bad about? I would never brag about winning a game against 7 year olds. My teammates would crucify me!

I would have had fun with it. Coach the little ones, talk some friendly trash to the Dads about how the 7 year olds are kicking his butt. I'd have set my marker to ramp and traded a few of the kids my marker for one of their rentals to watch them experience it. Let yourself get shot to show some of the scared kids it doesn't hurt all that much.

I think an opportunity to grow the sport and have some fun was missed. The experienced players should have been assisting the refs to show this group a fun time. Not criticizing them for a bad start or overlooking an elimination on a bunch of noobs. I applaud the ref for playing "fast & loose" with the rules in this particular situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststrike01 View Post
And kids love anything even if they get destroyed.
This is just wrong. Especially at 7 years old. Do you really believe if you bunker and light up some 7 yr old first timers they'll come back and play again? Shame on you if you would play that way.

Last edited by XRidgelinerX : 04-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
XRidgelinerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:03 PM #5
firststrike01
Peace is the way

Aww, did I make your butt hurt? You are all over the place with that last thread. But if you like being put up against little kids, hey that's you lol.
firststrike01 is offline   Reply With Quote