Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM #1
Complete_Coverage

Why?

Why do Manufacturers insist on owning (shareholder/stakeholder) the PSP?

Why does the NPPL allow wealthy parents to own teams when they serve as nothing more than an outlet for their child?

Why does the NPPL allow its employees to play on teams in the league it governs?
Complete_Coverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 PM #2
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
1) Because it's a large league, and the PSP needs some funding somehow, so why not share the costs between companies that want to?

2) Why does every single league known to man allow wealthy parents to own teams where they serve as nothing more than an outlet for their child? The PSP allows it, literally everywhere allows it that I know of.

3) I personally don't know, so we'll wait for someone else to chime in, but imo, it's a stupid decision to allow that.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 AM #3
Kirko017

Kirko017 plays in the PSP
Kirko017 posts videos on PbNation
Kirko017 is an NCPA player
Kirko017 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complete_Coverage View Post

Why does the NPPL allow wealthy parents to own teams when they serve as nothing more than an outlet for their child?

Why does the NPPL allow its employees to play on teams in the league it governs?
Same reason there are shareholders of any company.

That's how most sports are. You never played on a baseball or soccer team as a kid where one of your teammate's parent was the coach/team owner? Other than like school sport leagues, it is pretty common.

Why should NPPL not allow it? Congress is allowed to live in the same country it governs. Employees of WalMart are allowed to shop at WalMart. etc

Last edited by Kirko017 : 02-07-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Kirko017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 AM #4
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
How do you know it's the manufacturers that insist upon it and not the PSP that allows it.
When companies have a financial interest in a league they are more inclined to help that league succeed.
Quote:
What's the difference? What matters if a parent owns a team? What does it change.
Quote:
Although I don't completely follow kirks comparisons, he does have a point.
It's one of those "it isn't a problem, until it's a problem" things, I remember how frustrating it was playing against a top officials son who was wearing 5 pieces of headgear just to find out it was now allowed in the rules to wear as much head protection as you want.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:02 PM #5
Complete_Coverage

To further the discussion I will address these in order:

First; To Aresfiend, traditional business acumen dictates that the league be sovereign in order to protect the sport. When manufacturers also own a league, then the league becomes nothing more than an outlet for their products. Example; PSP WC - customers pay to play and pay for products while the league rakes in hundreds of thousands while paying out less than 3% and the preponderance of that is for the 'professional' division.

Regarding parents owning teams, no-one argues little league/youth sports parental involvement at the coaching level as these teams are not well funded and there is generally nothing more than bragging rights and plastic trophies at stake; hmm, sound like how the lower divisions are treated now - except the players are most likely not 7 years old.

Second; To Kirko017, if one makes the argument that these leagues are set up as shareholders, then the position dictates that you also assume the liability when the majority shareholders commit fraud. Example; Dye Precision owns a share of league and owns a team in said league - then said team wins the event.

Why should the NPPL not allow league officers to be owners/owners to be players etc... A conflict of interest (COI) occurs when an individual or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation for an act in another. Look into the league referee system, referees being fired for bad calls against league owner/player teams. The league owner/player/employer is on the field and reprimanding an employee over a judgement call and subsequently relieves them the same day; fair play - no way!

Available at your local University; Ethics in Leadership -

This course covers four areas: ethical awareness, ethical analysis/ethical decision making, current ethical issues industry, and ethical management in an organization. This class provides the skills required to make reasoned responses to ethical dilemmas, deal with daily and long-term ethical challenges, and build an ethical culture in an organization.

When playing in this sport it is unfair to allow emotional responses to dictate event outcomes.

To Generalee72; The PSP and the Manufacturer shareholder are synonymous each is an owner so they are the same. So the league and fair game play could take a back seat to profits. A corporation has a duty to its shareholders first to generate profits, then to its community to which the leagues have none since they are gypsy organizations, and then to its customers which may be to blind to see that they have no real chance of advancing in this league and if they do, there is no real reward.

Why does having a pro team owner and a child player on the same team an issue? One, the team will most likely dissolve once the child no longer wishes to play and or becomes a substandard player. The team exists to give the child an outlet to become successful at the cost of other, possibly more talented, players riding the bench; where is the Bob Long team and where is Zack Long. Echos of unprofitable events since everyone at the event already has a marker and the company can sell just as well by not going and or having a team and avoid the expense of league membership and event fees.

Can you name another team(s) that fits the parent owner child player description?
Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM #6
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Can you name another team(s) that fits the parent owner child player description?
Vicious.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:20 PM #7
Kirko017

Quote:
To further the discussion I will address these in order:

First; To Aresfiend, traditional business acumen dictates that the league be sovereign in order to protect the sport. When manufacturers also own a league, then the league becomes nothing more than an outlet for their products. Example; PSP WC - customers pay to play and pay for products while the league rakes in hundreds of thousands while paying out less than 3% and the preponderance of that is for the 'professional' division.

Regarding parents owning teams, no-one argues little league/youth sports parental involvement at the coaching level as these teams are not well funded and there is generally nothing more than bragging rights and plastic trophies at stake; hmm, sound like how the lower divisions are treated now - except the players are most likely not 7 years old.

Second; To Kirko017, if one makes the argument that these leagues are set up as shareholders, then the position dictates that you also assume the liability when the majority shareholders commit fraud. Example; Dye Precision owns a share of league and owns a team in said league - then said team wins the event.

Why should the NPPL not allow league officers to be owners/owners to be players etc... A conflict of interest (COI) occurs when an individual or organization is involved in multiple interests, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation for an act in another. Look into the league referee system, referees being fired for bad calls against league owner/player teams. The league owner/player/employer is on the field and reprimanding an employee over a judgement call and subsequently relieves them the same day; fair play - no way!

Available at your local University; Ethics in Leadership -

This course covers four areas: ethical awareness, ethical analysis/ethical decision making, current ethical issues industry, and ethical management in an organization. This class provides the skills required to make reasoned responses to ethical dilemmas, deal with daily and long-term ethical challenges, and build an ethical culture in an organization.

When playing in this sport it is unfair to allow emotional responses to dictate event outcomes.

To Generalee72; The PSP and the Manufacturer shareholder are synonymous each is an owner so they are the same. So the league and fair game play could take a back seat to profits. A corporation has a duty to its shareholders first to generate profits, then to its community to which the leagues have none since they are gypsy organizations, and then to its customers which may be to blind to see that they have no real chance of advancing in this league and if they do, there is no real reward.

Why does having a pro team owner and a child player on the same team an issue? One, the team will most likely dissolve once the child no longer wishes to play and or becomes a substandard player. The team exists to give the child an outlet to become successful at the cost of other, possibly more talented, players riding the bench; where is the Bob Long team and where is Zack Long. Echos of unprofitable events since everyone at the event already has a marker and the company can sell just as well by not going and or having a team and avoid the expense of league membership and event fees.

Paintball teams are no different in my eyes than any little league team. The soccer team I played with from when I was 4-years-old until I was 10 disbanded as soon as the coach/owner's kid didn't want to play anymore, and he had no reason to run a team and coach it anymore.

Like X-factor for example. Martinez owns that team, most likely funds the majority of it, and plays on the team. I am sure if he ever got completely sick of paintball, and decided to quit, he most likely wouldn't feel like funding the team since he isn't playing or a major part of it so the team would disband..

And I just thought of Vicious and the Bortals as a parent owner child player description after typing all of that :p

I personally don't see it as that big of a deal. No one is forcing anyone to play on these teams. I think everyone who plays for these types of teams understands that the kid will get some good play time, especially if it is funded by their parents.. And on the other hand a majority of the parents who do own the teams do understand it is a team sport.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:25 PM #8
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Heat, as well.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM #9
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Heat, as well.
Heat is parent owned?...
Old 02-07-2013, 04:14 PM #10
Kirko017

Quote:

I have never witnessed this happen. Nor do I doubt the possibility of such behavior.
But I can also see the reason you might see referees being fired for bad calls against league owners their teams playing is because the owners are actually seeing the bad calls now where as before if they are not playing or paying close attention, they probably do not see the bad calls.. And if they are playing or their team is playing during the tournament, they probably only get the chance to see the poor refereeing when their team is playing thus it is going to almost always only be focused on those referees..

Not blind. Just that there isn't another national league that isn't corrupt, with a good format, a good ranking system, good referees, offering good prizes, at a good price..
Old 02-07-2013, 04:21 PM #11
Kirko017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
Heat is parent owned?...
Yeah pretty sure Randy Smith (aka Sarge) is the owner and Ryan Smith is his son. Forgot about that team as well, haha. Impact is another.

Last edited by Kirko017 : 02-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:02 PM #12
Complete_Coverage

When I pose these scenarios I am really inquiring as to why the players pay to be treated so.

Professional sports is should be coveted, not diluted and undermined for the sake of the financially fortunate. 'Professional' paintball players today do not release the contract terms of their team/organization because WHY? Is it because it is hard to write into a contract that you will be guaranteed nothing.

WHY aren't the 'professional' teams releasing their income and expenses - hmmmm. Maybe because they are a total loss and are a write-off against other expenses of the parents company or manufacturers are writing the loss off as an advertising expense.

SHOW US THE MONEY TRAIL!

A quick call to the IRS will tell you which teams are operating under the 501.3.c code and or if they exist at all as a stand alone entity.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 PM #13
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I wont get into the finer details of the league/business structure as I haven't studied it much and don't know the details.
Quote:
.....Why does having a pro team owner and a child player on the same team an issue? One, the team will most likely dissolve once the child no longer wishes to play and or becomes a substandard player. The team exists to give the child an outlet to become successful at the cost of other, possibly more talented, players riding the bench; where is the Bob Long team and where is Zack Long. Echos of unprofitable events since everyone at the event already has a marker and the company can sell just as well by not going and or having a team and avoid the expense of league membership and event fees......
As far as the parent/child team relationship goes, that's really a topic for the player to consider. I don't see a problem with it at the league level, sure the child might get preferential treatment at the cost of other players, but that's up to the other players to decide if they want to be a part of that. With this (any) sport there has to be some motivation for someone to own/coach a team, most lower level teams don't make any money at all, if not financial why would anyone build a team but personal reasons.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:59 AM #14
Complete_Coverage

I like the position that the other players have to decide to play on that team. But that leads to a larger scale issue of how does one advance from beginner to amateur to semi-pro to pro? Let me save someone the trouble of saying that they have to play in hundreds of tournaments and pay large amounts of money to get that good; which is a garbage position to take. What is PSP's answer, lets see - we need to see what your teams semi-pro record is before we allow them to turn professional, so its the teams record and not the individual.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM #15
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
I like the position that the other players have to decide to play on that team. But that leads to a larger scale issue of how does one advance from beginner to amateur to semi-pro to pro? Let me save someone the trouble of saying that they have to play in hundreds of tournaments and pay large amounts of money to get that good; which is a garbage position to take.
Why is that a garbage position to take? How do you think people advance to Pro in sports like skiing, snow boarding, motocross, bmx, etc?

It's cheaper if you happen to be playing a sport that is offered in the school system, or one that doesn't have a consumable commodity like paintballs (although ongoing costs of X sports are high too), but being Pro at ANY sport is going to require a LOT of sacrifice to be good.

Hell, even though paintball is "expensive", at least unlike any traditional high school sport, you're not expected to practice/train 3 hours a day or more EVERY DAY, so the time cost is lower.

Quote:
What is PSP's answer, lets see - we need to see what your teams semi-pro record is before we allow them to turn professional, so its the teams record and not the individual.
If you're going to put a whole new team into Pro, yes. But individuals also move up. For example, how many people playing for the Ironmen, or Aftershock were on the team when they went pro? (Hint: None.)

If you look at the major Pro sports, you'll notice that the common method for getting a pro team is to... buy one! You can even dial those sports back 100ish years to their formation, and you'll see all the modern pro leagues we're familiar with now started in a matter quite similar to paintball, with a very fluid set of teams based primarily on their ability to finance themselves, with many teams lasting only a few seasons, and leagues always scrambling to fill in spots from other teams that folded.

Anyway, paintball works just like the rest of the world - the people who are willing to invest the most will tend to do the best. So guys (or guys with parents) who have lots of money to invest will run teams, and the people with the most talent will play on them.

If that bothers you, you're going to find life to be fairly uncomfortable.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 02-08-2013 at 10:09 AM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:19 AM #16
CreightonBaller
JFSF - Omaha VICIOUS

Annual Supporting Member
CreightonBaller is a Supporting Member
CreightonBaller supports Team VICIOUS
CreightonBaller is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
Why is that a garbage position to take? How do you think people advance to Pro in sports like skiing, snow boarding, motocross, bmx, etc?

It's cheaper if you happen to be playing a sport that is offered in the school system, or one that doesn't have a consumable commodity like paintballs (although ongoing costs of X sports are high too), but being Pro at ANY sport is going to require a LOT of sacrifice to be good.

Hell, even though paintball is "expensive", at least unlike any traditional high school sport, you're not expected to practice/train 3 hours a day or more EVERY DAY, so the time cost is lower.

If you're going to put a whole new team into Pro, yes. But individuals also move up. For example, how many people playing for the Ironmen, or Aftershock were on the team when they went pro? (Hint: None.)

If you look at the major Pro sports, you'll notice that the common method for getting a pro team is to... buy one! You can even dial those sports back 100ish years to their formation, and you'll see all the modern pro leagues we're familiar with now started in a matter quite similar to paintball, with a very fluid set of teams based primarily on their ability to finance themselves, with many teams lasting only a few seasons, and leagues always scrambling to fill in spots from other teams that folded.

Anyway, paintball works just like the rest of the world - the people who are willing to invest the most will tend to do the best. So guys (or guys with parents) who have lots of money to invest will run teams, and the people with the most talent will play on them.

If that bothers you, you're going to find life to be fairly uncomfortable.

- Chris
as much as it scares me, for once we agree.

Empire * DSSP8ntball.com * Axe * SuperFreak * eFlex * EVIL * Mad Cow Paintball *

Omaha Vicious - DSSP8ntball.com - Fluffy Bunnies - Farside
CreightonBaller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM #17
Complete_Coverage

Chris, garbage position or not is irrelevant since the more critical thing to recognize is that every sport you mentioned except paintball pays its professionals WAY more than paintball does.

Do you really think that its an athletic sport when "you're not expected to practice/train 3 hours a day or more EVERY DAY, so the time cost is lower" Great so now we are celebrating mediocre professionals because there is no real time investment to maintain a high level of skill.

The discussion is not whether one or two players move up each season, the point is that the teams have no real incentive to promote competitive tryouts and or shake up a team because their is no real financial incentive. We work for the manufacturer or my daddy owns the team so my friends and I get to play 'pro' until the status quo changes.

How about this Chris, change the NCPA - aka your league to ensure it meets NCAA requirements. Lets see, you wont because that cuts off your revenue stream and continues to hold the sport hostage under yet another profiteer. Lets try it like this - fix your house before you try and tell everyone how to fix theirs.

It is not really an argument to say - well I am not good enough to earn a spot on a pro team, so I will just ask daddy to buy or make one so I can play. WOW! I hope Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, and Soccer never allow this type of process. Lets keep the corruption in paintball please.

1912 football, hmmm. They evolved very quickly and paintball is lets say 20 years old and has not evolved at all. Please post one citation of a professional (non paintball) team (in the big 3 sports) that was formed so that their child could play on it and did so.

Paintball does not work like the rest of the sports world, you said it yourself, you don't have to train hours every day to maintain your skill level because your position on your daddy's or your friends team is not at risk.

Players with the most talent playing at the professional level WOULD NEVER BOTHER ME! Unfortunately, that is not professional paintball today. Even saying professional paintball - gulp (just threw up in my mouth).

Creighton Baller - love your signature quotes:
Eric Roberts: "If you think you're going to make money playing paintball, dude you're dumb as a rock and have no clue whats going on"

Matty Marshall: "You can make a little money doing it"

Eric Roberts: "To do what, pay the water bill?"

SHOW ME A PLAYERS TEAM SIGNED CONTRACT FOR EMPLOYMENT AS A PROFESSIONAL PLAYER!

The world is waiting and we don't have time for those who celebrate the status quo.

The truth is just a Google search away.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM #18
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Hrm, I apparently made an error, assuming you posted looking for information. Clearly you think you already know everything and were just trying to set up an opportunity to preach at everyone else, so I'll just correct the one point directed at me personally:

Quote:
How about this Chris, change the NCPA - aka your league to ensure it meets NCAA requirements. Lets see, you wont because that cuts off your revenue stream and continues to hold the sport hostage under yet another profiteer. Lets try it like this - fix your house before you try and tell everyone how to fix theirs.
The NCPA is a non-profit run entirely by volunteers (we do pay refs). The amount of money I've "made" running the NCPA over the past 13 years is a very large negative number. I try not to think about it.

The NCPA decision-making process is as follows:

1) Don't go broke.
2) Increase participation as much as possible.

Pretty simple.

It should thus not be surprising that we don't make decisions that would have a substantial negative effect on participation.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 02-09-2013 at 06:39 PM.
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 PM #19
Complete_Coverage

Nothing is personal here NCPA President. If you take it personal then you need more staff to separate yourself from the business.

The only real thing I know is that a president of a company should hire a public relations person to ensure their public image is maintained; or at least find one more volunteer to perform this function.

We do not know everything and this thread was running just fine until the NCPA forum troll chimed in. Who has an opinion on everything and posts until he is recognized as the expert - hmmm, one guess - the NCPA President.

Non-profit does not mean you don't make money as salaries are paid. If the NCPA is loosing money and you are trying to increase participation - What The Heck is the NCPA doing?!#

If the NCPA was a real not-for-profit organization then the board would have been required to go through a voting process and it is highly unlikely you would still be a sitting president. 13 years as president = not a not for profit organization. Want to prove me wrong, post the NCPA IRS EIN, then we may see the NCPA's annual submissions and voting for ourselves.

Who writes the annual check to cover the negative equity?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM #20
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

You know what I think is funny?

You were asking the question at the beginning but you suddenly became the expert on your question...
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM #21
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
You know what I think is funny?

You were asking the question at the beginning but you suddenly became the expert on your question...
Isn't that internet trolling is supposed to work?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote